Squeaking noise

tagteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have this horrible squeaking and rattling noise that seems to come from behind the passenger head rest. Does anyone else have this? Any suggested remedies?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the exact same thing last night, I though maybe it was the passenger seat rubbing against the back of the car, but don't know for sure.

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds stupid, but sometimes when the seatbelt is inbetween the seat and door, you will get a rattle. If you lay it over the seat, it might get rid of some rattling.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think it can be that as my wife had it on when it was making that noise. Maybe the noise was coming from her :) No seriously though, it is almost like a fiberglass top twisting kind of sound, in my case anyway.

BTW I did have that seabelt sounding issue in the back of my Jeep SRT8. It drives me crazy sometimes.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coupe or convertible? My top squeeks a bit over my head. I have been meaning to lube it up a bit but havent had the time.

OP
OP
T

tagteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coupe or convertible? My top squeeks a bit over my head. I have been meaning to lube it up a bit but havent had the time.

Convertible, 2005. It's probably coming from one of the top hinges, but it is driving me nuts. I guess I'll try some wd40.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be from where the convertible top meets the header, especially where the little nub goes into the hole on the header (one on each side I think).
Use silicone lubricant.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Convertible, 2005. It's probably coming from one of the top hinges, but it is driving me nuts. I guess I'll try some wd40.

Mine has a squeek/rattle thats intermittent. Some days its real bad. Only with top up. So one day I started trying to tighten screws and noticed one is stripped. Its one of the small screws that holds two bars together for top. It allows the bar that goes across the back, above your head to rattle. Ive just been too lazy to take to dealer. So my fix is, drive with top down. :D

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike,

I have found that there are way to many screws that strip out after removing them a few times on the new vipers. I believe that this is caused by DC using air powered drivers and self tapping screws. Has anyone else had the same problem with fasteners?

Robbie