How do i reset my PCM?

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im not talking about clearing an error code, I have a 2001 GTS with a Roe Supercharger 5lb pully, Roe PCM, Belanger headers, B&B exhaust, T&D rockers, smooth tubes-k&Ns, Vec-II. I am encountering detonation problems between 3 to 4K RPM while accelerating. I have switched to the Roe recommended Bosch super 7527 plugs, and was told I should reset or reboot my PCM. I was told that if I unplug the 3 plugs from my pcm, reinstall them and go thru some sort of ignition/throttle pedal manipulation you could basically make your PCM relarn/reboot itself.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think simply depowering the Viper PCM for a sufficient period of time takes it back to zero. Only vehicles with fly-by-wire throttles use the gas pedal potentiometer reset procedure IIRC.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unplug the 3 PCM plugs for at least 10 minutes. I generally wait half an hour to be safe.

Plug all three connectors back in. Get in the car, turn the ignition on, but don't start the car. While the ignition is on, depress the gas pedal all the way to floor and release it. Do it a few times. The reason for doing this is the PCM learns the voltage output range for the throttle position sensor.

Start the car. It may run rough for a few minutes, but with time it will improve.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go.....

1. Remove the PCM cover on the drivers side foot well below the remote battery lug. A phillips screwdriver and a 5/16" socket or wrench will be needed for this.
2. Disconnect all three PCM connectors for about 10 minutes. By doing this, you are erasing the PCM adaptive memory.
3. With the PCM disconnected, make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly for wide open throttle then reconnect the PCM connectors.
4. Turn the key to the "on" position, but DO NOT start the engine.
5. With the drivers floor mat out of the car, slowly press the accelerator to full throttle then repeat. By doing this, you are showing the TPS (throttle position sensor) full throttle. Without this information in the PCM, it will not correctly calculate how to make the engine run properly. This can also be done by rotating the throttle linkage, located between the two throttle bodies, to wide open throttle.
6. Turn the key off then start the car without touching the accelerator.
7. Let the engine idle for approximately 2-3 minutes.
8. After idling, drive easy, then progressively harder over the course of about 10-20 minutes.
9. The car will drive differently during the first 20 or so miles because the PCM is learning the new adaptives.