GEN1 Head bolt torque #'s - Help!!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know which is right, stick with the manual or go with Chuck's numbers.

The manual and Archer Racing says to torque the head bolts to 30ft-lbs. and then to turn 90 degrees. Archer's tech said nothing changed as far as torquing the new metal gaskets . But in the following post from five years ago, Chuck said to torque them down to 125ft-lbs. :omg: !!!

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=534550&highlight=gen1+head+bolts+torque

That's a huge difference. If Chuck's right, then do I torque to 30ft-lbs first and then go over and re-torque to 125ft-lbs? :dunno: Experienced responses appreciated. What worked for you?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck, depends on year and whether you are reusing yor bolts or not.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a 94' and I am reusing the bolts.

Chuck's a great guy. I hate to bother him with every question. Anyone already ask him this before?

Last edited:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual, Chuck knows. Although I paid $800 from him for the gasket set and was ticked at the time it feels like a bargain now. I called Chuck 3 or 4 times during the install and he walked me through everything. Made the $800 pain go away.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. So I torque the bolt sequence to 45ft-lbs. Then go over it again to 90ft-lbs and then once more to 120ft-lbs.

Wow, my heads might have flown away with the original specs in the book.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. So I torque the bolt sequence to 45ft-lbs. Then go over it again to 90ft-lbs and then once more to 120ft-lbs.

Wow, my heads might have flown away with the original specs in the book.

That's it!
I've probably done close to 200 of them by now and I can say that not one of them have had any head gasket leaks since.:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456