Octane Booster

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always carry a couple bottles of octane booster under the seat in case I can't find good gas--especially with the blower. I know it doesn't do much, but it would help a little.

Well.......a few weeks ago on a trip, unknown to me until it was too late, the foil seal on a new bottle was not sealed and drained an entire bottle into the carpet under the passenger seat. The smell is somewhat overpowering and just will not go away. Does anybody have any suggestions for neutralizing this chemical? ...short of all new rug? The carpet itself was not damaged at all.

Thanks--Steve

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the smell but from what i have read there are very few Octane boosters that do any good. Just go to a paint store and buy a gallon or 2 of Toluene. Works good, its cheap and F1 cars used to use it I think at either 80 or 90% pure back in the high hp turbo charged days so you know it worked good.

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torco. From what I understand, it's actually concentrated race fuel, rather than an octane booster.

As far as the smell...I'd try to remove the carpet on that side and shampoo it out and also clean the floor underneath.

OP
OP
S

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a tip from a national cleaning service that appears to be working quite well. Put a couple layers of newspaper under the seat (or affected area) and weight it down. Change repeatedly. Hard to believe, but it's working. I'm changing it out about twice a day --and it's definitely taking the smell away. it was almost nauseous before and now it's almost gone....started the newspaper thing 2 days ago. Who would have thunk this would work so well?

Steve

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, go to Lowes and buy a bottle of CAPTURE. its a moist power that cleans carpets well. brush it in to the pile and give it at least 30 min. if it does not work at least the capture has a pleasent smell.

BOOST ALMIGHTY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have spilt octane booster in the carpet of one of my cars. The smell was horrible and took FOREVER to go away. Shampoo it, and buy a couple of air freshners to go under the seat. I also sprayed it with Frebreeze every day.
Good Luck!