Buying Viper RT/10... questions

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to look at a 1994 Viper RT/10 tomorrow. Is there anything in particular that I should look for while I'm there? Any common problems (other than the obvious) with cars that have been abused?

Thanks!

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Main thing is ask if the head gaskets have been changed. Second big expense would be tires, if the car is low mileage with original tires you would want to get new ones. Those are the main things.

Cosmetically, doors sag over time no matter what the mileage, side sill paint bubbles and door sill paint bubbles.

V

Venomiss

Find a mechanic who deals with Vipers and spend a little $ to save some headache in the future. Some Viper clubs in your area might be a good place to get some feedback.
Most clubs list officers and how to reach them-e-mail or phone.

Also look for cracks under the hood which is one of the most expensive pieces to replace.

Good luck!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a VCA member with you... Where are you located?
Do a serial number search, ask your friendly Dodge dealer to run it for you.

Whats the mileage?

IF the headgaskets were not replaced, YOU will replace them. About 2K (labour and parts)
Tires, the 17" tires are expensive, about $400 each. If the car has worn OR old tires, you need to replace them.

Look for any possible frame damage.

If the sidesills are bubbling, thats another 1-2K. They are made of aluminum and corrode...

Any cracks in the hood where the hinges are attched to?

Does it have BOTH tops, soft and hard? Is the soft top in good condition, look for any broken parts.

Dont worry about chinrash, every Viper thats driven has it.....

More?? PM me and I'll be happy to talk to you. Even better, if you are anywhere near Philly/Lancaster/Harrisburg (PA) area, I'll take you out for a spin. Or you can drive mine.

Good luck!!!:2tu:

OP
OP
M

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I went through the vehicle on Saturday, and everything seemed to check out. Torque on it is amazing. I made the guy an offer yesterday and got it. It includes the original 17" wheels as well as the 18" five spokes off of an 01 with new Pilot Sports. I'm supposed to pick it up on Friday.

I'm currently in Boston, but am moving to DC in late June. If anyone is in the area, please let me know.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations and Welcome to the greatest car club in the world, I'm in the VA/MD club and I'm not the closest one to you but would be more than happy to assist in any way I could. You will definitely want to become a member of the VCA as it does have it's privileges that are well worth the minute yearly fee. You will still want to check the date code on you tires as that is one of the main causes for loss of traction in a Viper (old, 4 years or better, hard triers) and just take your time and have fun learning your new car.
Again welcome and congrats, KV

V

Venomiss

Thanks guys!

I went through the vehicle on Saturday, and everything seemed to check out. Torque on it is amazing. I made the guy an offer yesterday and got it. It includes the original 17" wheels as well as the 18" five spokes off of an 01 with new Pilot Sports. I'm supposed to pick it up on Friday.

I'm currently in Boston, but am moving to DC in late June. If anyone is in the area, please let me know.

Welcome to the world of Vipers-and lot's of attention!
Be sure to use the search feature at the top of the page to research your 94. There is a bunch of information already discussed in threads that might be helpful for you.
Congratulations! :drive:

OP
OP
M

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picked up the car last Saturday and I've been playing with it since. Boston streets are definitely not kind with a car sprung this hard, but I'll be moving to Arlington VA this weekend.

The car is awesome. I come from the bike world and had written off ever getting that feeling from a car, but this comes closer than I ever imagined it would. I'll post up some pictures soon. It has the 18" wheels off of an 01 GTS on it, which I think look beautiful (I have the stock ones as well).

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picked up the car last Saturday and I've been playing with it since. Boston streets are definitely not kind with a car sprung this hard, but I'll be moving to Arlington VA this weekend.

The car is awesome. I come from the bike world and had written off ever getting that feeling from a car, but this comes closer than I ever imagined it would. I'll post up some pictures soon. It has the 18" wheels off of an 01 GTS on it, which I think look beautiful (I have the stock ones as well).

Mangle- bring it out to ChickFilet cruise-in (Sterling, behind the Dulles Town Mall) one Fri night this summer, would love to see your car...

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm all over it. Is it a recurring Viper event?

No- not a Viper show, a cruise-in... tons of cars, old ones, new ones, there is always an older fellow with his red RT, and usually I bring one of my cars, and sometimes we get 2-4 more Vipers...

It is a fun show really, and after 9 when all the hod rods go home, the tuner cars come out in a big way... that is something initself, it is amazing to see the $$ these guys throw into their rides.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IF the headgaskets were not replaced, YOU will replace them. About 2K (labour and parts)
Tires, the 17" tires are expensive, about $400 each. If the car has worn OR old tires, you need to replace them.
[...]
Does it have BOTH tops, soft and hard? Is the soft top in good condition, look for any broken parts.

just happened across this posting, and had to clarify/correct some issues:

No, the head gaskets do NOT require replacement on every Gen I viper. A lot of them, to be sure, but I know of a number of people with Gen I's (myself included) that have (or had) significant miles (i.e. 70k to 150k) on a Gen 1 without any head gasket problems.

17" tires are cheaper than 18" tires, which are cheaper than 19" tires, etc. Totally agree that you need to replace any OEM tire on a Gen 1, or even any Pilot MXX3, or any likely Sport Pilot, as they would all be over a couple of years old.

You definitely need to ask if they have the hard top, but Gen I's did not come with the hard top - and few people bought the Mopar top after market (like, less than 10%), so don't expect to get a hard top with the Gen I.