Need to stay dry!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how can I make my 1996 RT more water resistant? I am driving it every day now... and I have the three-piece trunktop. It leaks like crazy!!!

I know.. if you want to be comfortable ... buy a corvette.. but I want to keep my Viper.... but I can't keep spending a day drying it out after an afternoon rainstorm!

Any advice about weatherproofing you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Lance

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have leaks in my RT with the factory hardtop or rag top. You sure the seals are good and the adjusters are pulling it down tight. They are adjustable to snug it down. If so then I would be talk'n to the 3 piece top maker. I had the 99RT so don't know about a curtain car for leaks around windows??

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Lance,
I don't think there's much you can do with the older RT's. They just don't seal around the windows very well(mine leaked a little). If it is the 3 piece HT that is leaking, see what Jeffs says. Also, you could always cut and add some seal to possible exposed areas of the 3 piece top.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance,

Try to pinpoint the areas where it might be leaking. Better yet, send me the whole thing and I re-weather strip it. A drip or two here and there you can deal with, but "leaks like crazy" should not be happening.

Jeff

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had similar issues. Well, maybe not as bad as you describe. I found a big difference between the soft top and hard top. I get very little water with the hard top. It's important to make sure you install the side windows correctly. I've noticed that its easy to end up with a gap at the bottom edge.

Either way the wife came up with some super absorbent cloth that we place near the leak as we close the door and this pretty much collects it all. Just ring it out once in while and your good to go.

If you come up with a more permanent solution, please let me know.

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. Since moving to Texas... I've started driving my RT as my daily driver... I have contemplated selling my 1996 and buying a Gen 2... but I really like my Gen 1... I've got to figure this out so I don't have to sell it!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my dilema too. I hated to sell my 96, it was a fun car. But ever since going to the Gen II, I won't go back unless it's for a third or forth car. I need a bigger garage :D :D

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's that? RT/10 daily driver? I must help...

If it's speaker drip, get some weatherstrip and put it on the body side where the round weatherstrip on the door (circling the speaker) makes contact. Especially when driving, the air flow seems to blow it through.

Look for an odd-shaped rubber "plug" where the forward lower corner of the side window meets the door. On Gen 1, it hardens and leaks.

The forward edge of the top may need another layer of weatherstrip. Air flow may blow the water elsewhere, so this might be hard to locate.

The lower ends of the windshield end up in a "messy engineering" spot. Sometimes sealing under the cowl cover may help.

On Gen 1, the passenger side floor gets wet when the sponge seal for the heater hose dries out. You can see it from the engine compartment - I used windshield silicone glue, which is a very, very runny version of silicone glue, to saturate the exposed sponge and seal it.

While you search for the leaks, the mini-top is excellent. It goes on in seconds and keeps the inside dry. Folds up into a bag the size of two footballs. I extended one hook (catches on the rear wheel fender) with a velcro strip so it fits tightly over the softtop or without any top.

My Gen 1 stay outside 100% of the time, and I've fixed 99.95% of the leaks. The only thing that gets me now is when the side curtain "seal" gets saturated and wicks water through. Have to get more of that tent-silicone stuff...

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's that? RT/10 daily driver? I must help...

If it's speaker drip, get some weatherstrip and put it on the body side where the round weatherstrip on the door (circling the speaker) makes contact. Especially when driving, the air flow seems to blow it through.

Look for an odd-shaped rubber "plug" where the forward lower corner of the side window meets the door. On Gen 1, it hardens and leaks.

The forward edge of the top may need another layer of weatherstrip. Air flow may blow the water elsewhere, so this might be hard to locate.

The lower ends of the windshield end up in a "messy engineering" spot. Sometimes sealing under the cowl cover may help.

On Gen 1, the passenger side floor gets wet when the sponge seal for the heater hose dries out. You can see it from the engine compartment - I used windshield silicone glue, which is a very, very runny version of silicone glue, to saturate the exposed sponge and seal it.

While you search for the leaks, the mini-top is excellent. It goes on in seconds and keeps the inside dry. Folds up into a bag the size of two footballs. I extended one hook (catches on the rear wheel fender) with a velcro strip so it fits tightly over the softtop or without any top.

My Gen 1 stay outside 100% of the time, and I've fixed 99.95% of the leaks. The only thing that gets me now is when the side curtain "seal" gets saturated and wicks water through. Have to get more of that tent-silicone stuff...

Tom,
The plug you reference.. is that on the OEM canvass window?? Or the door itself? Also, have you added or replaced any weatherstripping where the door seals against the door opening?
I am pulling out the carpet to completely dry the interior... I'd like to find these leaks so I don't have to do this all spring!!!
Thank you,
Lance

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance, the plug is on the door, just inboard of the side mirror. You can see it with the door closed. The plug contacts some odd shapes when the door closes.

Yes, I've added a thin weatherstrip on the body where the door weatherstrip is supposed to seal against a fairly rough surface. I went from under the plug, forward to the hinge, and down along the hinge.

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just realized I was not very clear... the top does leak in about four places..... but it's mostly around the windows.

The 3 piece top is great , looks great, is easy to take off an install.... I just don't think I have the weatherstripping right....

Jeff is great to work with too!

Lance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prosperitymirra