3.55 Gear Question

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.55s on my 2000, I also had a horrible clunk coming from the rear. It is basically a common problem in Vipers and is usually caused by loose rear diff mounting bolts. Especially the 2 bolts that mount on the top of the diff. I would try tightening those first.

BTW, don't listen to that Viper Spray guy all he knows is strippers :rolaugh:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear this is one of the best mods you can do on a Viper. Does anybody know approx how much this could cut off your ET in the 1/4 mile?

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear this is one of the best mods you can do on a Viper. Does anybody know approx how much this could cut off your ET in the 1/4 mile?

I understand the quarter shows no benefit since you have to shift once more in the quarter with the 3.55 as opposed to the 3.07. Benefits are seat of the pants and stoplight to stoplight.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont drag race your car..Get them...You really stay in the powerband in normal around town driving and 6th gear is not a waste anymore...Car feels less sluggish....Al

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not have to shift to another gear. You will be running in fourth at the end of the 1/4 mile. I have run 3.73. 3.55 and 3.45 . These still allow you run up to 4th gear ion the 1/4 mile unless you are running high HP, nitrous or S/C. Been there, done that.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drag race, and I love them. High HP naturally aspirated love gears. It's a great mod, in fact my order of mods for a Viper would be 1) cat back (only because the stock exhaust is so anemic), 2) gears 3) hi flow cats 4) K&N + smooth tubes. Most importantly youv'e gotta have some fresh rubber at the least or better yet "sport cups" or your favorite sticky tire. Gears make a stock or moddded non blown Viper quicker in the Qtr., period.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55 will definately improve your 1/4 mile if you have slicks or drag radials. Gears multiply torque, more torque spins tires so street tires are tougher to use. If you have a NA combination and are willing to invest in tractions you'll see a big difference. As mentioned they are best bang for the buck on street you can do!

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same people that swear that changing your rear end gears will "increase your horsepower and torque" or "give you a mechanical advantage" or " decrease your quarter mile times" are probably the same ones that believe that their particular color of car is faster than than another color.

DrDJ

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same people that swear that changing your rear end gears will "increase your horsepower and torque" or "give you a mechanical advantage" or " decrease your quarter mile times" are probably the same ones that believe that their particular color of car is faster than than another color.

DrDJ
People don't actually believe that one color can be faster than another do they? I always assumed that the are joking when they say that "insert your color here" is the fastest color made. :crazy: :crazy2: :dunno:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DrDJ

DrDJ, honestly have you ever Drag Raced? Gears and drag racing have been together for the past 50+ years. Some applications, in particular turbo charged vehicles do not benefit in the same way. This is inpart due to the way some turbochargers react to engine load, but N/A cars will almost always benefit from higher numerical gears. Yes that includes stock Vipers and as stated above you must run a sticky tire.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DrDJ

DrDJ,

It is not the color, but the stripes, that make the car go (feel) faster.

I could not help noticing (on your avatar) the magnificent combination of Silver Body and "Classic Gray Stripes"!

Sure this takes off 1/2 sec in the quarter mile and adds 10mph to the terminal velocity due to the aerodynamic inverted vortex created by the depression between the stripes.......

We also believe in "Global Warming" don't we?

Of course, Vipers are among the greatest contributors to this evil....

....and this concludes my pseudo-science "thought of the Day".

Back to reality (and to the original thought of this thread): Normally aspirated cars will benefit from a numerically higher diff ratio in real world driving (not on the drag strip), assuming one has the appropriate rubber that can handle the newly multiplied traction and adherence requirements.

Caveat: avoid driving in the rain or on wet pavement; if you must drive in the wet, exercise an extremely timid right foot and pick one gear higher than you would normally use.

Pressurised induction cars will generate so much additional torque that it would be by far preferable to leave the stock ratio of 3.07 alone. The extra torque can so easily overcome traction and adherence that driving (in the lower gears) becomes a tedious exercise in throttle control; it is however very rewarding once one masters this skill, since the driver's two feet will be the only traction and stability control present in the Viper.

Vypr Phil

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never stated that stripes won't make a Viper faster, only the color. :rolaugh:

I agree that with 3.55 gears, the rear tires will break traction easier in a given gear. It may make intuitive sense that the car with the lower gears will be quicker in the quarter mile, but that's not what happens in the real world.

Car A has the 3.55 gears, Car B is running the stock 3.07 gears. Removing traction from the equation and with all other thing being equal, Car A will reach the shifting point to 2nd gear before Car B. Car A will have a slight lead. Car B stays in 1st gear longer, however and spends more time in the "ideal power band." Any advantage that Car A had is erased and then some until Car B shifts into second gear, at which time Car A will start to pull on Car B (initially from behind.) Car A will gain the lead back before shifting into 3rd gear, where the process starts all over again. I am talking about very small distances between the two cars. Where the two cars cross the finish line relative to one another depends on the actual length of the race, altitude, temperature, etc. There is just as much chance that Car B will cross the line before Car A as the other way around.

For the above reason, altering gear ratios at the drag strip could save a fraction of a second, but it could be either slightly taller gearing or shorter gearing that is better for the quarter mile at that particular track / day / temp / humidity / grip / etc. A CVT (Continuosly Variable Transmission) would theoretically improve the quarter mile time . :eater:

DrDJ

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for helping me make a decision as to changing from 3:08 to 3:55 on my Twin Turbo. Think the Turbo might work better with the 3:08's.