Moton test drive in Bay area

CuHead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am interested in replacing my suspension with Motons and was wondering if anybody in the SF Bay area has some installed and would be willing to give me a ride to see what the feel like. There is a stretch on Hwy 680 between Race St and Lawrence Expwy that is a horrible ride with the stock suspension. Since I commute along this path every day, I am willing to invest in Motons if it will stop shaking me up so bad on that one stretch. If possible, I would like to see what this stretch of road is like in a Viper with Motons. Thanks!

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock suspension is not adjustable.

I had the club sport motons put on my 2006 coupe. They are 3 way adjustable - compression, rebound and height. The compression adjustment canisters are under the hood and in the trunk.

The motons gave a better ride than stock. Their is a stretch on I65 north to Louisville Ky that gives a very bad ride and the motons handled that stretch of interstate much better than stock. But not just on I65 on all roads the motons gave my Viper a better ride.

Of course I wanted to lower my Viper-the back fender was almost 5" above the tire. I think my Viper looks much better lowered.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me, the Motons make the ride much better.

I live at the end of a long washboard dirt road. The stock suspension made driving this road like being caught inside a paint shaker. Motons make the ride a lot more comfortable. They seem to absorb the bumps with less jarring (even with much stiffer springs.)

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not totally true. The Konis on my stock 2002 RT/10 are adjustable for rebound only. I read about it here - Joel from England posted it. Chuck Tator did the adjustments. Even he hadn't heard about it. (All 4 were factory set completely different on mine, and handling was much improved after adjustments.) Since then, many others have adjusted the rebound on Gen IIs. I don't know about Gen 3s.

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the 96s have these same shocks. Not just Tator, but almost no one in the community knew back in 2002 that they were adjustable for rebound. Since then, there have been a few other discussions about setting preferences to use on these shocks. The original thread is http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=534341&highlight=adjusting+stock+Konis

Chuck Tator can tell you whether these exact Konis go back to 96.

Best,
Sonny

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the shocks on my 97 GTS adjusted last year when they put on my Eibachs. The Viper tech din't even think they were adjustable, but I insisted! He ended up calling a Koni rep, who explained the process to him. This is from an experienced Viper tech, who does great work :) I just think its not common knowledge out there..

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm usually at Santana Row Saturday mornings from 9 to 10 am. If you make it out there I'll give you a ride in mine.

-Kurtis

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Moton test drive in Bay area -Koni adjust(hi-jack)

Sonny,

Thanks for the Koni Thread. And thanks to Joel.
This is one of the most helpful threads I have read here. I too have experianced the "wallow" when hitting certain dips and bumps while cornering and was a little disappointed with the handling of the car. I have adjustable Koni's on my Miata and it stands to reason that they would be adjustable on the Viper as well.

Looking forward to making this little fix.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To the original poster and topic, the Motons are great. I love the ride in my buddies. I have not put them on yet. I barely get in my driveway as it is, so I need to wait till I sell this house and get another one with a better driveway.
If I could get in my driveway, I would have them on yesterday. People complain about the price, but they ride so good and dont seem to have one single complaint about ride or blown shocks, etc. I would say ,without a doubt, get them!!

Reaction score
My bad, I guess I was thinking along the lines of ride height adjustability, I too have had the old Koni shocks that could be compressed and adjusted out of the car for rebound.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Gen I and II were adjustable rebound. Gen III not. Gen I and II were Koni. Any idea what the cheap Gen III version are?

It is really poor when you need to buy aftermarket shocks on a $90k car!