Is anybody buying Vipers?

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are buying a viper as an investment rightnow, you are most likley wasting your time. There are plenty of other places to invest your money that will yeild much higher returns. For investment purposes, now is not the time to buy a Gen I or II viper with their high prices. Buy real estate.

Buy the viper that offers what you want. If it is driveability and comfort...buy a Genn III, if it is looks, buy the one that satisfies your opinion. If you are having trouble between the two generations, then you obvioulsy like both of them and will be happy either way.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper prices have never been lower than now, don't know what you are referring to. You can get a nice gen 2 Viper for 40K now with moderate mileage. Hell, you can get a low mileage 03 or 04 for low 50K!

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was watching the Gen 1 market for about 6 months before I recently got my 95 rt/10 with 18K miles. NICE Gen 1's were bringing 33K to 37K and AVERAGE (some scratches and minor defects and miles) can be had for as low as 28.5K fairly easy. Yet these cheaper ones I don't see going up alot in value as they are"rough around the edges" in Viper terms. An ORIGINAL stock unaltered Gen1 with the head gasket issue handled and documented, as well as lower miles (under20K) will go up in value. There are waaayyyyyyy to many Gen1's that have been altered or modified from stock. And from a purist point of view, they are only original once. It was a challenge for me to find mine, but I did prevail. I also had a criteria that I would only buy from a private owner, no dealer. That way I could get the straight story and see how it was stored and cared for. Well I have rambled on enough, just my 2 cents worth.

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper prices have never been lower than now, don't know what you are referring to. You can get a nice gen 2 Viper for 40K now with moderate mileage. Hell, you can get a low mileage 03 or 04 for low 50K!

I must be looking in the wrong places. Or too picky as I can't find a nice GTS for 40K. I'm going to have to spend 50K.

Daston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I have been looking at the market state side for around a month now, I will be looking for a Gen 1 (I like side pipes :)) and have a budget of around £15000 (around $30-31000) now to get a Gen 1 in the UK at the same standard it will cost around $45-50,000 so the import fees dont bother me at all. Just got to sell my Supra first though.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are buying a viper as an investment rightnow, you are most likley wasting your time. There are plenty of other places to invest your money that will yeild much higher returns. For investment purposes, now is not the time to buy a Gen I or II viper with their high prices. Buy real estate.

Buy the viper that offers what you want. If it is driveability and comfort...buy a Genn III, if it is looks, buy the one that satisfies your opinion. If you are having trouble between the two generations, then you obvioulsy like both of them and will be happy either way.

No cars are investments. Maybe an investment in fun but thats about it. I am paying over 1000 a year for insurance. The car would have to appreciate a lot more than that to make it even a poor investment. That said it will probably hold its value better than most cars which will ease the pain a little bit but definitely not an investment. That said I think I am a lot better off with my GTS vs if I bought a new Z06. Within a few years the Z06 will be worth 40 to 50g at best and be old news. I will have to trade it in for a big hit and get the next best thing be it a Z07 or whatever. I think the GTS will still be cool and chances are I will keep it a lot longer. It may even go up in value eventually. Not to the point where I would call it an investment, at least not in my lifetime but still a great car and better deal than any others IMHO. I like the fact that I can go to a cruise night and not see 10 other cars there just like mine. This won't change down the road, if anything you will see even less Vipers.

As far as buying Real Estate, I don't think now is the time. I think prices are going to continue to drop or at the very least stay stagnant for a while. Right now I am keeping my money in fairly safe investments like Money Market. I know I could probably do better but don't have the balls right now with the market the way it is. I actually just transferred all my money to Fidelity and it is just sitting in a Money Market because I have not had the time to go discuss what we are going to do with it and they are telling me it actually worked out better for me as I would have lost money had I had the time to invest it but I am getting 5% where it sits. I do need to get over there and figure out what to do with it.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but maybe it needed to be. Anybody here use Fidelity? Is it worth having them manage my account or should I just put it in something and move it myself when I feel fit? It is not a super large amount but enough where I should be careful what I do. They have a certain number where they say it is best to have them manage it and my account not quite that high but close to it.

Last edited:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I hate to bust your bubble, but Vipers are selling. I put mine on the market and had quite a few calls and 3 hot prospects. I was told by some pretty reputable/knowledgeable Viper people that I would not get anything better than high 40s. Wrong. My point is not to brag what I got for it, but to let everyone know that things in the Viper sales arena, especially GTSs, seem to be pretty strong.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought one, and as Mopar says nobody is giving them away.
You won't touch a clean low mileage B/W under 50K.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clean does not mean a track car with a blower on it.
The one for 44K? It's going for about 6-8K less than comparable cars, so I wonder why?????
There is ALWAYS a reason. There is a story behind it, guarenteed.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I hate to bust your bubble, but Vipers are selling. I put mine on the market and had quite a few calls and 3 hot prospects. I was told by some pretty reputable/knowledgeable Viper people that I would not get anything better than high 40s. Wrong. My point is not to brag what I got for it, but to let everyone know that things in the Viper sales arena, especially GTSs, seem to be pretty strong.
I agree, looks like Bernie from BJ Motors sold at least 7 of them since summer time when I bought mine. I would say he is doing REAL WELL with Viper sales. I am in the wrong business. That said his cars are top quality and I would not hesitate to buy another one from him. :2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one for 44K? It's going for about 6-8K less than comparable cars, so I wonder why?????

What was the recent major service? :lmao:

1996 DODGE VIPER GTS, Blue, 16k mi, purch 1/97, one owner, like new, all original, complete dealer service records, recent major servive at dealer, a stunner, $44,000 Steve

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The car is located in Tustin CA, which is right under the flight path for the John Wayne airport. The owner is most likely deaf and totally crazy from all the noise:lmao:

That's my story, and I'm gonna stick with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth