picking up a salvaged gts

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all i just turned 20 and i was looking to buy a 2002-2004 zo6 and theyre running between 28k-32k but since yesterday when i saw a 2002 black and white stripped gts i :omg: so im kind of leaning toward a gts now. i have always been a fan of the vipers since they came out but i have been having trouble finding a gts around 32-38k range so im looking to buy a previously salvaged or reconstructed one beacuse theyre cheaper and i dont plan on selling it will probably keep it till i die lol.

1. im 6,2 250lbs i currently drive a 2002 camaro ss and fit in it perfectly will i have trouble getting in an out of the viper also is it a comfortable fit for long drives.

2.wich years came with abs system installed or if i get a car without abs will i be able to adapt it to the older car.

3. not really worried about gas milage but just out of curiosity what kind of milage do you guy get in city driving.

4.ive heard past viper like the 1994-1999 viper brakes just **** is there any truth to this.

5.are these cars reliable for daily driving if i were to choose to do so would it leave me stranded.

6.my current car is equipped with the t56 is this trans similar to the one equipped in the viper and will it take the same kind of clutches as the camaros.

i would greatly appreciate any help with the question above thanks.;)

jonathan

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. ABS is on 01-present Vipers. Adapting ABS to a 92-00 Vipers is very expensive.
2. Vipers are definitely capable of being daily driven, just be careful in the rain! The huge tires like to hydroplane if not driven carefully.
3. I've never had OEM brakes, but I've heard they're ok for daily driving. Its a couple of brake upgrade kits that are far superior to OEM though.
4. Gas mileage in the city I say 10-15mpg depending on how you drive and how many redlights you get stopped at

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey all i just turned 20 and i was looking to buy a 2002-2004 zo6 and theyre running between 28k-32k but since yesterday when i saw a 2002 black and white stripped gts i :omg: so im kind of leaning toward a gts now. i have always been a fan of the vipers since they came out but i have been having trouble finding a gts around 32-38k range so im looking to buy a previously salvaged or reconstructed one beacuse theyre cheaper and i dont plan on selling it will probably keep it till i die lol.

1. im 6,2 250lbs i currently drive a 2002 camaro ss and fit in it perfectly will i have trouble getting in an out of the viper also is it a comfortable fit for long drives.

2.wich years came with abs system installed or if i get a car without abs will i be able to adapt it to the older car.

3. not really worried about gas milage but just out of curiosity what kind of milage do you guy get in city driving.

4.ive heard past viper like the 1994-1999 viper brakes just **** is there any truth to this.

5.are these cars reliable for daily driving if i were to choose to do so would it leave me stranded.

6.my current car is equipped with the t56 is this trans similar to the one equipped in the viper and will it take the same kind of clutches as the camaros.

i would greatly appreciate any help with the question above thanks.;)

jonathan

Oh Boy.:confused:

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
pugads651 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2399804", true); By your post and questions you sound more like a corvette guy. The viper in my own opinion isn't really comfortable for long trips...though many on here will say otherwise. No traction control on these things, no abs until 01, but learn how to really drive and you don't really need abs.

If you are serious about getting a viper, I'd keep saving til you can get one that hasn't been salvaged. Leave those for the parts guys. Get one that still has structual integrity, since you said you'd like to keep it forever.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$32-38k will get you into a non-salvage RT/10. Definitely a Gen 1 and probably a Gen 2 if you can wait for the right deal. I don't know where you live or the type weather you deal with mostly, but a RT/10 is also daily drivable, but some of the tops are prone to leak in heavy rain.

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have my heart set on a gts. and the weather down here in socal is pretty sunny all year round but i would rather go with the coupe.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will i be able to fit in her she looks kind of small.

Your head may go over the windshield just a bit. They do however make 1" and 2" seat lowering kits to take care of that problem. Now that I see your from Cali, I'd definitely say get a RT/10. Its only like 100,000,000 Vipers in Cali, I'm sure you can find someone who will let you sit and/or ride in theirs to get a feel for it and see if you like it.

EDIT: Since your new post says your heart is set on a GTS, ignore everything I just said. Don't feel bad, everyone else ignores me as well :eater:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn i guess ill take the summer and go on the viper diet lol.

also i found this viper what do you guys think.

http://www.viperalley.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2423&sort=2&cat=2&page=1

Any salvage Viper is scary just because of so many unknowns. Before you buy ANY Viper, get it checked out by a Viper tech. Before you buy a salvage Viper, I'd get it checked out by a Viper tech AND body guy who deals with exotics. Regluing a Viper back together isn't the same as fixing a Honda. I almost bought a "great condition, low mileage" 94 RT/10. I had it checked out by a Viper tech, he found over $10k worth of problems!!!

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car appears to have more than just minor body imperfections as the seller states. Just what can be seen from teh pictures are side sill damage, rear quarter looks split , ds looks damaged rear qtr as well, hood is terrible fit, fascia looks like different color than hood, and that doesn't even take into account what salvage could mean.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch a Salvaged Viper unless I was 1). Very well off (aka money dont mean a thang, but I doubt this applies if you are looking to get a Viper on the "cheap") and 2). Was using it for a project car. Salvaged cars can have MANY MANY issues that can cost you endless hours working on the car and thousands in fixing/repairing things. Even if you say, owned your own shop and had all the equipment.

Things change.....quickly. You are 20 years old and will constantly recycle girlfriends, wives, careers, living quarters, and just about everything else by the time you are 30. Saying you are 20 and will "keep the viper forever" just doesn't work unless you fit #1.. And no, these cars are not good for daily driving, unless you have a 5 mile, no traffic commute. You are 20....life is right around the corner, you just have to wait a few years to catch up to it. (unless of course you fit #1, then you are set, but it does not seem like this is the case)

my .02

FYI...you can find a nice 97 or 98 GTS with under 30k miles for 38...just takes time to find the right one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
probably wont keep it forever just kind of talking out of my ass but its been a big dream of mine to own one these cars since i was 5 so if i do get one anytime soon i plan on keeping it for a while 5-10 years i dont plan on getting my money back out of it.

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with buying a salvage that was done right and paying less money then the negative people on here. Just make sure the repair was done right and the seller is honest about the damage and what was repaired. I have had many salvage Vipers and am still driving one now.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2002 GTS pictured is kinda a rare colored car, but that is no reason to buy one. The side sill damage if not repairable (I believe they are made from stamped aluminum), will not be cheap to replace (I've seen $1500-$2000 for one), the rear quarter repair should be less than $1000 and that assumes that the front bumper cover has not pieced back together with adhesive of some sort. If it is a disaster, count on $800 for a new cover, then add at a minimum $4000 for the Graphite Metallic color to be properly applied and you're at $43000.00 +/- for a previous salvage title Viper. Now for the scary news....if for some reason, the repair job that made the car a salvage title car wasn't for say the $20000.00 hood and it was for a frame issue, you could be in real jeopardy if whoever pulled or sectioned the frame did just an average job on the repair.....imagine this:

5 years from now, the frame which we'll assume wasn't welded properly (and if you see any evidence of welding you'd better get at least three reliable welders opionions of the welding repair) breaks loose during some high speed fun on a Viper Club run to a VCA destination and you lose control because the frame is no longer parallel and you take out a couple of the cars with you as you spin out....ouch!!

Not only will you kick yourself for not paying the extra $4000-$5000 for a non-salvage Viper some years earlier, but you'll possibly have a few ********** VCA members thinking you can't drive worth a damn...until they see your frame and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Salvage cars have their place, but in high performance applications, I'd recommend not having one be your first high performance car. I have a project car at the moment, it's a high end Mercedes and I checked about 100 things before I even low-balled the seller.

Regards,
Aaron

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save up and buy a perfect one, these cars aren't like Vettes or Camaro's. Parts are on the order of ten to twenty times more expensive than Chevy parts. This is no BS. Buyer beware, what may seem like a simple fix on a Chevy will cost you dearly on the Viper. You can't go to Pep Boys and get your parts. Hood=$18,000 , Front and rear bumper covers $5,000 - $10,000, Side Sills $4,000+ each.Your Camaro SS, if it's mint would be a nice deposit, just to get started on a motor rebuild. Gen 1 head gaskets are approaching $800 a set. We're talking about just the head gaskets, not all the other gaskets you would need to do any sort of rebuild. Not trying to scare you away, but preventing you from getting hosed. If your in LA, and your set on a salvaged car or any Viper, at the bare minimum have Dan Cragin inspect it. It's not free, but he will steer you clear of junk. DC Performance is the shop, do a search here for more info.

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will the insurance company actually salvage your viper lets say if its stolen the parts you listed above hood bumpers and side sills are stolen will the salvage it.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Just make sure the repair was done right and the seller is honest about the damage and what was repaired."

This is hard enough to do on a Viper that wasn't salvaged.

Call me negative BUT, I bought my 98, 8k mile GTS for not too far north of what his "max" is. I know he can find a nice GTS for mid-upper 30s it just takes time and patience.

MB has lots of experience in the salvaged viper category, but I think he is underestimating your situation a little.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
At least with a salvage you know what you are getting. I did a repair for a guy with a 2000 mile viper hit hard in the front. It bent the frame, broke the hood, and everything else in the front. There was no insurance co involved. This car has a 100% clean car fax but would have been totaled. You can have every Viper tech in the world look at it and they will not be able to tell it was in a accident. Now is this the clean titled car you are buying for more money? I have had my salvage cars on the track at Viper Days and had a very good time. These cars are not for everyone and not every salvage for sale is a good deal but if you want to save some money (5000-10000) on a Viper it is a good option to look at. I highly sugest you have someone look over one if you don't know much about them.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would you rather have, a nice vette or a raggy GTS? The vette is definitely better for a daily driver, better on gas and attracts a lot less attention. The GTS is way cooler looking, attracts a lot of attention and EVERYTHING is very expensive. Keep in mind if you get a salvage title you will be doing a lot of those very expensive things. Taks a look at what side sills and other parts cost and make sure you factor this into your decision.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, if you are looking for the dream forever car then buy exactly what you want. I did just that. I wanted a Gen II Red with white stripes and I was determined to get that. I saved up 45k and got financing from Capital One so that I could purchase any Gen II Viper I wanted (except the turbo's). Salvaged cars are great for parts or if you want a track car. I wouldn't invest that kind of money on something that has been hit. Problem with salvaged cars is the non damaged parts are extremely valuable so the price stay's up pretty high.

I am 6'0, 225lb . I fit just fine in my GTS, however when I added Wet oakley seat covers I lost about a 1/4" and now if I wear a hat I wack my head getting in if I dont crane my neck to the side. Once inside I am fine because the bubble roof.
Therefore getting in and out for anyone above 6 foot is a minor inconvience, but really not a big deal. You will have the same problem with just about all sports cars. Seat Lowering kit will accomodate someone up to 6.5". Beyond that your SOL.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Listen to the guys, as a Salvage Viper is likely to become an enormous money pit. We have had two body shops bring Snakes in they wanted to repair, after running into huge costs and issues on their own, they brought them to us to finish. End of story, is they could have bought a decent used one for about the same total investment and a salvage Viper is worth only about 1/2 price once finished , usually can not be financed, has no chance of getting a service contract and will never be worth much, even if you do keep it forever. Delay your plans a bit, save a bit more, and keep in mind that costs for repairs have gone sky high since the car is no longer made.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Viper