2008's Arriving Soon And No Test Reviews

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke to a local dealer and he expects the'08 to arrive at his dealership July/ or August. How come I have not seen and road test reviews in any mags. Usually they are out way before the actual car hits the dealers. I'm hoping for mid to low 11's @ 126-28. Think this is wishful thinking?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marketing was always a weak side at Dodge but being as bad ?!
I have seen an article in Motor Trend in march but since NOTHING !
I hope the new owners will pay more attention to marketing.

It is maybe related to some issues with the new organisation. I don't know but even the best car won't sell if the marketing is poor. Take the exemple of the Jeep in the middle 90's. That junk was selling like creazy. It was a real leamon right out of the assembly line but with a good marketing.

Whereas today Dodge has the best cars ever and they are not able to sell them. I think in the last 2 years I didn't see any Dodge adds on the TV. I have seen a couple of Dodge Caravan adds in magazins and that't it.

3 weeks ago I had all the major Canadian journalist at Calabogie. We have tried to attract people from Dodge (Canada/USA) to let these guys test drive Dodge cars. We didn't manage to get the cars.

I am very very disappointed with marketing.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let them perfect the design first. They are most likely shaking out the bugs. Not a bad thing. Don't need to have roofs flying off!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would be suprised if there are any cars delivered before the begining/middle of sept at the earliest.

i heard the same thing.

new 600hp dodge viper - $90,000+/-

delivery date of new dodge viper - sept

new 600hp dodge viper delivered just in time to be put away and parked in most peoples garages over the next (6) winter months - priceless.

:rolaugh:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke to a local dealer and he expects the'08 to arrive at his dealership July/ or August. How come I have not seen and road test reviews in any mags. Usually they are out way before the actual car hits the dealers. I'm hoping for mid to low 11's @ 126-28. Think this is wishful thinking?

That Dealer is pulling your chain!! If they are a real Viper Dealer, then they would have the same e-mail from Chrysler [daimler:moon: ] that I have, dated 5/22/07 and it says:
"Remember that the first shipments will not start until the September time frame and allocation of orders is based on previous Dodge, Dodge SRT car. and Viper sales."

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need for any marketing when you bring 600HP to the party. For those not in the know this car is selling like hotcakes, so much so that the first week of June they already sold out one of the colors.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as tests, the "press" cars were built just last week. If anybody really expects the car to come off the line, go straight to a journalist, and then have his/her magazine on the stands in a week well, ain't gonna happen. ;)

Seriously, it usually takes at least a month (usually 2-3) for an article to get written, edited, proofed, approved, formatted, and then go to print. So if they handed the cars to the press last week you probably wouldn't see an article until August. I believe marketing is planning a large "press party" somewhere for the press to see (and drive) the new Vipers - and soon. And I then expect that you will see articles start to appear very soon there after.

As for 1/4 mile times and trap speeds, I suspect you could be close... :2tu:

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Maybe my dealer was a bit over-excited.
As far as any mag articles, I understand the process but I was just comparing the new '08 Viper to some previously anticipated high-po cars. The Ford GT and Carrera GT had some preliminary tests at least 12 months before production models hit the streets. I am just super anxious to seem some real world numbers. Well, guess I have to be patient and wait.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your Dealer is a bit anxious, as the cars are going to be built starting in August, and the magazine articles should be hitting the stands about the time the cars are coming out or with a tiny bit of lead time. Perfect marketing to build the anticipation and then have them on the road in 2-4 weeks. I think there is a method to their madness, and frankly it is likely a better way to introduce a product than having press about it for 6+ months prior to launch like our friends over a Chebby - IMHO!

MGWLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Dealer is a bit anxious, as the cars are going to be built starting in August, and the magazine articles should be hitting the stands about the time the cars are coming out or with a tiny bit of lead time. Perfect marketing to build the anticipation and then have them on the road in 2-4 weeks. I think there is a method to their madness, and frankly it is likely a better way to introduce a product than having press about it for 6+ months prior to launch like our friends over a Chebby - IMHO!

BMW is the worst!!!! by the time the new m5 finally came out it seemed like the car was 10 years old already as long as we have been reading about it. The new M3 is the same thing. That car has been "rumoured" to have a 400 hp v8 since 2004!!! now it is finally coming out and 400 hp is just old news now. i think you can get a honda accord with 400 hp nowadays :rolaugh:

george

* disclaimer - the author of this post fully realizes that you cannot in fact get a 400 hp honda yet so please do not call your local honda dealer and try to order one.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, do we know how many of each color they are making?
Impossible to know as they are limited simply by the number of actual orders for each color - no more "unordered" production. So if only three people order orange and 342 order Venom Red, then that is the total number for each color. Kinda cool!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need for any marketing when you bring 600HP to the party. For those not in the know this car is selling like hotcakes, so much so that the first week of June they already sold out one of the colors.

Hahaha. Just file right away for bankruptcy.
Everything needs marketing.

Sometimes when I stop to fuel up my Viper people are stunned that these cars are still manufactured. I am telling you Dodge need a good refresh on marketing.

Magazines are full of Corvette and Mustang articles and adds. Journalists not only need to test drive the new Viper but need a story behing which will help to sell the Vipers at dealerships.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let them perfect the design first. They are most likely shaking out the bugs. Not a bad thing.

Correct! :2tu:

I heard that they are perfecting the cupholder design....:rolaugh:

i heard the same thing.

new 600hp dodge viper - $90,000+/-

delivery date of new dodge viper - sept

new 600hp dodge viper delivered just in time to be put away and parked in most peoples garages over the next (6) winter months - priceless.

:rolaugh:

Not a problem; SoCal VCA members will cheerfully and thoroughly brake them in for you and return them in the Spring of 2008......... ;)

Our weather is perfect for this and we will even grant visitation rights! :cool:

Vypr Phil

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps the dealer in question is involved in facilitating the press's testing of the pre-production cars. The press has to interface with Dodge somewhere and where better than a dealership that has techs that could fix little issues, keep the car detailed, etc. Since the weather is nice here in the desert, and so many magazines love to shoot pitcures in Sedona, the Audi dealer is a regular staging location for pre-production press cars (usually during Barrett-Jackson).

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not looking forward to the 2008 Viper reviews, from what ive seen, mag's tend to trash the viper in every way they can, i dont expect it to change with the 2008, theyll probably come to the conclusion that the z06 is better becasue its more economical..yadda yadda...... ill wait to see the car myself to judge it!