Still dealing with heat

Braceviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am still trying to deal my heat situation.

1. From past posts I have decided not to place the random tech cats with the bend that eliminate the secondary cats(too many reports of breakage)
What do you think about replacing the secondary cats with high flows(will it improve heat and will it throw a code?)

2. Does anyones console throw off heat my=ine gets really hot!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nature of the beast. Big bore V10 squeezed up against the firewall and cross pipe under the seats.

Heat soak is a problem. Once you stop and the engine heat soaks into the interior, it take a while to cool down.

My 05 is all stock.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check to see if the rubber boot "dust cover" is NOT torn around the shifter. If it is it lets alot of heat in the console area. I found this on mine when I had the complete interior out putting in the Passport SR7 with laser shifters as well as lining the complete interior in hushmat as well as their 1/2" insulator pad. That also helped with the heat.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are speaking of a GENIII I had read that the secondary cats are already High Flow Metalic Substrate? Correct me if I read wrong.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check to see if the rubber boot "dust cover" is NOT torn around the shifter. If it is it lets alot of heat in the console area. I found this on mine when I had the complete interior out putting in the Passport SR7 with laser shifters as well as lining the complete interior in hushmat as well as their 1/2" insulator pad. That also helped with the heat.

I put the heat shield under the console of my GTS and it did help. Have not yet tried it on the SRT/10.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, I thought it was the primarys that were high flow metal substrates. So basically You want to dump both for just 1 on each side instead of the 2 on each side currently, because one is high flow other is not. Which doesnt make a lot of sense. But oh well.

Jon

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had a lot of heat around console and found the rubber boot around shifter was torn (mentioned by TBorrow). Replaced it with new one and now have very little heat around console.

Here is a interesting comment about the secondary

"Its really easy to get rid of the secondary cats. No Cutting required.... Simply unbolt the pipe that has the cats in it. Pull up a comfy stool. Take a long steel rod that is sharpened like a chisel. Hammer the guts out of the secondary cat. I used a long needle nose pliers and a set of mechanical fingers to pull the guts out. The secondaries are a metal substrate cat and the primaries are ceramic. Bolt the pipe back up to the car, and VIOLA! no secondary cat.

Because you merely took the guts out of it, The pipe isn't compromised and it looks stock still. I bought two converter assemblies off of EBay and from list members. I kept my originals as originals, and one set I gutted the secondary cats, and the other I gutted everything".

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have put a large bath towel on the console which not only keeps the console heat away from our arms resting there, but feels better. I removed the cats and that brought the interior heat WAY down. AC works great. John