Clutch Install Price?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much labor $$ to install a clutch on a 99 GTS? I have purchased the parts and just need to get them installed, but the quotes I have so far seem high..... :(

I would learn to do it myself if I had a lift - after reading posts here about doing it on jack stands that is out. I'm in Houston if anyone here has access to a lift I would love to talk with ya..... :)

Thanks in advance!
Eric

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I pulled my tranny with just jack stands. Easy as pie and no way my car could have fallen down.

If you have someone do it buy the LUK clutch kit yourself. That will save you $400, if you have this done at a Dodge dealer.

Labor rates here are 100/hr and I was quoted 5 hours for the job at my local dodge dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've got 2 quotes so far.... $625 and $690 labor only with me supplying the parts. I'm gonna look for a 3rd quote.... :)

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a lift.

I've rebuilt 1 engine & pulled heads off a ford yrs ago, but have never put in a clutch.

Andy

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled my tranny with just jack stands. Easy as pie and no way my car could have fallen down.

No flame intended - but you must be a power lifter in a 4'11" body. I have done it multiple times with a lift and it AIN'T easy. You are going to get people in trouble if you keep up the "it is easy on jack stands".

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with jack on this one. pulling the tranny isn't hard... but putting it back in is a PITA even if you are 6' and 190lb (which i was back then). i bought a tranny jack and will use that for the tranny swap later this week...

JD

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya Jack/JD. I figure anyone willing to take on something this significant is going to have some wrenching experience under their belt. I do not recommend doing this if changing the oil is difficult or you do not have an extra set of hands to help.

With that said. Tator himself recommended I pull the transmission like I did. I'll stop there, as I don't want to construe any other advice he passed on. Perhaps he felt I had the ability to do it myself, so he said go for it. I'm just your average weekend warrior that has done exhausts, superchargers, headers, shifters, that kinda thing. I had never pulled a transmission or installed a clutch.

With the tools I have: 6 Ton Jack Stands, Low Profile Floor Jacks, Transmission Jack, lots of extensions/sockets (no air tools) it was easy for myself and my father to do on a nice Saturday afternoon. Perhaps I got lucky, but everything went smooth as silk. Putting the transmission back in only took patience aligning everything up properly with the transmission jack, not brute force.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just a note... MAKE SURE the splines on the clutch disc are concentric with the pilot bearing in the back of the crank with the alignment tool...or you will be having a very, very long day.

Its enough of a job to get the trans out, bellhousing off and swap the clutch, but to have to do half of it twice and waste a lot of time because you didnt take 7 seconds to check that the disc is centered, is a very stress-inducing mistake. In fact it may cause some people to (purposely) push the car off the jackstands in anger if they dont understand WHY they cant slide the input shaft all the way in, after 14 hours and 937 attempts...

In a pinch, if you have access to a lathe or a machine shop, they can whip you up an alignment tool in a jiff, just measure the profiles of the front of the input shaft and copy the largest ID of the splines (ID= the NEGATIVE spline, not the POSITIVE spline, from center)

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I found another Viper shop here in town to do it for $425, so I am going with them.

AJT - Thanks for letting me know you have a lift! I don't know anyone else in Houston with a Viper, do you guys get together somewhere? I'd like to meet ya'll in the future! I'm on the NW side of town.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am fortunate to live in a rural area. 4 hours is what it took to change the clutch / install the Fidanza flywheel at a garage with lift. My guy charges $50 per hour. I am his 'assistant' in all things done to the car.

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235