Best place to advertise a GTS....

Gibson_L-5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having made the HUGE mistake of putting my GTS on Ebay, my question to all of you is: Where would you place an ad for a high quality GTS.I am going to place one in this forum now. I have used Hemmings mainly in the past, which is traditionally geared toward older cars, though there are some Vipers regularly. I mistakenly thought that Ebay would attract a younger buyer that the Viper seems to attract, the Viper falls in a very niche market – I call it US Exotic Muscle Sports Car. All Ebay did was attract every BONE HEAD you can imagine, most with big ideas and small pocket books. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. Most tried to negotiate a price without having funds in place or even the means to view it in person! I had the car sold,(I thought) then the KID could not get a loan, TOO EXOTIC!! I put about 50 large photos of this car in the ad, extremely detailed to eliminate the curiosity e-mails, which worked fairly well, but still. . Any other ideas would be helpful.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are going to get the flakes anywhere you go. That is just part of the fun of selling a car like this. Advertising here is a good idea, as well as viperalley.com

There are always serious buyers trolling these forums looking for a good car (which is typically the case with VCA/VA board members).

Send me a PM/email. I'd be interested in the details of your car.

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having made the HUGE mistake of putting my GTS on Ebay, my question to all of you is: Where would you place an ad for a high quality GTS.I am going to place one in this forum now. I have used Hemmings mainly in the past, which is traditionally geared toward older cars, though there are some Vipers regularly. I mistakenly thought that Ebay would attract a younger buyer that the Viper seems to attract, the Viper falls in a very niche market – I call it US Exotic Muscle Sports Car. All Ebay did was attract every BONE HEAD you can imagine, most with big ideas and small pocket books. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. Most tried to negotiate a price without having funds in place or even the means to view it in person! I had the car sold,(I thought) then the KID could not get a loan, TOO EXOTIC!! I put about 50 large photos of this car in the ad, extremely detailed to eliminate the curiosity e-mails, which worked fairly well, but still. . Any other ideas would be helpful.

Gibson, I agree 100% on Ebay... Most of what you get is the bonehead e-mails like "I'll give you $25k for it today, all cash"... Funny thing is, even if you agreed. They probably still could not get the funding. A bunch of pimple-popping kids, w/o 2 pennys to rub together, and shot credit to boot.

However, at the end of the day. Ebay does get a LOT of hits... Last few cars I sold on Ebay averaged 1500-2300 hits.. Where else can you get that exposure for $40?? Believe it or not, there are qualified people that look on Ebay..

First rule, list your phone number.. The people who call, are usually interested... The people who e-mail are ALWAYS time wasters.. Use Ebay as a marketing mechanism. The chances of a qualified buyer actually bidding/winning the auction, is almost non-existent. They will call you, to discuss. And when you agree on terms. End the auction..

Second rule, list a buy it now price... This gives everyone an "indication" of what you need to sell the car..

You should try Autotrader.com..... The thing I like most about this site is. They allow you to keep renewing until it sells, at no additional charge...

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"The people who e-mail are ALWAYS time wasters.."

Good advice save for this comment. You should add: unless they follow up with a phone call. With both of my Viper purchases I emailed back and forth a few times with all the standard questions (mileage, mods, recall work, maintenance history, overall history, etc..) and what they are looking for price wise before making the phone call. I wanted everything in front of me while I talked to the seller. Being that I'm younger, I usually was not well received if I cold called. In those instances I was blown off sometimes and felt I had to prove my knowledge of the Viper in and out and could afford the car. Email does not allow for this bias, unless you write like a *****.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gibson_L-5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, lot's of hits. And your correct, I should have just put my phone number EOS.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is where I looked.

Here
the alley
cars.com
autotrader.com
and Ebay.

What is it you are selling? Year, miles etc...?

OP
OP
G

Gibson_L-5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is where I looked.

Here
the alley
cars.com
autotrader.com
and Ebay.

What is it you are selling? Year, miles etc...?

I just posted the ad here in classified, I have over 50 pics of the ENTIRE undercarriage, interior, ect...anyone interested just ask.
This is a VERY nice example of this car. I am a small collector, not a dealer.
I should say, that I need the space, not the money.
So my hope is that nobody HERE makes me insulting offers on this car. I'm just decompressing from the Ebay ride.

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the car in NJ or FL? And has it ever been in an accident? Any scratches/dings?

OP
OP
G

Gibson_L-5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car in NJ or FL? And has it ever been in an accident? Any scratches/dings?

In North West NJ, NO ACCIDENTS, nicks or scratches - DEAD IMMACULATE - PERIOD.
E-mail me for link to photo album.

Looks, runs, smells new, window sticker, documents ect...this car has never seen rain or driven through a puddle, shipping plastic still on frame rails.
I have A new car delivery on friday and have to thin the herd.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456