A/C recharge

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My A/C is not as cool as it used to be. Should I just bump a cam of 134A into it or spend $300 at the local dealership to get it charged?

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is NO need to go to the dealership if all you need is refrigerant. I just did this on my ACR (AFTER suffering on the drive to and from Carlisle), and it was SOOOOO easy. Just go to your auto store and by one of the recharge kits that has the gauge buit on to it.

The low side pressure fitting on your AC system has a blue screw on cap.

1. Start the car
2. Set dials to AC and max cool, fan to high speed
3. Hook the recharge kit w/ gauge up to low-side pressure port
4. Read gauge
5. dispense coolant into system following kit instructions until gauge reads appropriately
6. disconnect can from low-side pressure port, put blue cap back on.
7. enjoy the chilly goodness.

Seriously, no dealer visit required....there aren't even any tools required to do this.

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is NO need to go to the dealership if all you need is refrigerant. I just did this on my ACR (AFTER suffering on the drive to and from Carlisle), and it was SOOOOO easy. Just go to your auto store and by one of the recharge kits that has the gauge buit on to it.

The low side pressure fitting on your AC system has a blue screw on cap.

1. Start the car
2. Set dials to AC and max cool, fan to high speed
3. Hook the recharge kit w/ gauge up to low-side pressure port
4. Read gauge
5. dispense coolant into system following kit instructions until gauge reads appropriately
6. disconnect can from low-side pressure port, put blue cap back on.
7. enjoy the chilly goodness.

Seriously, no dealer visit required....there aren't even any tools required to do this.

Thanks for the info. That is my project tomorrow.:)

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to go to a dealer but I would have an A/C shop/tech do it. A partial charge including a leak check and R134 is only about $90. at my shop. The engine needs to be running at 2000rpm and the pressure is read on the High side hose, charged on the Low, and is set by ambient temp at the condenser to the high pressure. Pressure charge varies with ambient. If you overcharge it will blow the reed valve headgasket in the compresser or shut down the system with the high pressure switch. If you do charge it yourself be sure to purge or bleed the line before charge enters the system so it won't be contaminated with air from the hose. Good Luck:2tu:

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
R-134 isn't like the old R-12 where just throwing a can or two in would fix a poor performing system, a fairly slight overcharge can cause the head pressure in the R-134 system to reach astronomic levels.

It's best to discharge the system and install the recommended amount by weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth