gear shifting questin

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my son out yesterday for his 1st track school in my 03 srt. While he was out on the track with the instructor he was told that his shifts were to fast and that Vipers need to be shifted slower as they damage easily. He also said that Vipers are not the best track cars etc etc...
Is he correct about the shifting? I have NEVER heard this before....or do you think he just hates Vipers, and a 19 year old having one for a track day?!!

Reaction score
It may be true that the Viper likes to be shifted smoothly and not forced but it is an excellent track car for a good driver.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a Porsche driver. Those instructors always act like they know Vipers but most of them have never even driven in one. From my experience.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not all instructors are created equal!! I bet he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Very few driving instructors have driven Vipers.

That said, shifiting smoothly would be preferred.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, Viper X says it all perfectly. Is this instructor for real? I hope you did not pay for his services. I would ask him on what basics he makes his profound statements.

Robbie

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.......Vipers need to be shifted slower as they damage easily. He also said that Vipers are not the best track cars etc etc...
Is he correct about the shifting? I have NEVER heard this before...

Short answer: THE YEAR MATTERS.

Old news. It was a fact in early Vipers, and RDCs improved the trans over time. (Thanks Team V-SRT)

Congrats on teaching your 19yr old how to handle a Viper. Speaking As an instructor: SLOW AND SMOOTHE shifting for novices...... slammed shifts are NOT the way to teach. Good Instruction for the wrong reason.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assumed the guy just wanted my son to do sooth shifts, but as Jon mentioned he told him the wrong reason why!
Thanks for the answers to my question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62