oil in the lifter valley

mjimike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone! As you can see this is my first post. I recently picked up a 96 b/w GTS and I have oil sitting in the top of the engine in the lifter valley. I brought it to my Viper Tech and he told me that the valve cover bolts were a little loose and he tightened them up. After the painful process of cleaning up the oil I looked under the hood yesterday and noticed some fresh oil again. If anyone has had this problem I would greatly appreciate the input.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mjimike Welcome and Congrats!:2tu:

The oil is coming from the timing chain cover gasket and blowing back. I have all the gaskets in stock that you'll need to do that job if you want them.

914-763-3136

You might want to find a new Viper Tech that has worked on Vipers before! :confused:

OP
OP
M

mjimike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck,
I do see more oil in the front than the back but I also see it on the driver side head bolts.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mjimike Welcome and Congrats!:2tu:

The oil is coming from the timing chain cover gasket and blowing back. I have all the gaskets in stock that you'll need to do that job if you want them.

914-763-3136

You might want to find a new Viper Tech that has worked on Vipers before! :confused:

Don't listen to this guy. I have the same problem with my '97 GTS. All I did was replace the valve cover gaskets....... and the problem was still there!! I then called one of the more knowledgeable members on the forum(some guy in South Salem, NY :D ) about a year ago and he told me it's most likely the timing chain cover gasket. I plan on outsourcing the labor :rolaugh: any week now, so I'll be calling the guy that told me this first thing in the morning to order the gaskets. Can't recall his name, but he's the owner of a Dodge dealer up in the northeast. Very knowledgeable guy who will spend time with you on the phone to help diagnose a problem whether he sees a dime or not.

I'll be calling you later today Chuck.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never bet against Chuck, but with an 11 year old car it is still possible that the valve covers are leaking. I had to tighten mine twice (very carefully) after a rolling rocker install to stop the leaks.

Pics would help to diagnose. Do you have any loose hoses going from the valve covers to air box?

OP
OP
M

mjimike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will try and get some pictures tonight when I get in. I did have a couple of loose hoses and I think they were fixed when I brought the car in. My Tech is supposedly very good and I don't want to say anything negative without a reason (He is a member as far as I know). With that being said though, I am not exactly blown away by the level of service that I have received.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62