Total RT/10 Production

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 is what started it all. It was the concept car, it was the first production Viper ever in 1992. According to the Viper Registry, 10,013 RT/10's were produced, worldwide, ever.

Anyone care to guess how many have been totaled beyond repair? Certainly cars out there driving around with salvage titles, but how many have been crushed or parted out? How many have been modified beyond return? (ie. couldn't reasonably be put back to stock)

Is 10% gone a reasonable guess?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great research topic. Sounds like a perfect reason to bring over a keg and 500 pounds of hot wings. And end up solving squat. But seriously, I've got a GTS and have wondered the same. Someone have the password to the big fat computer downtown?!?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is 10% gone a reasonable guess?

At one time back in 1996, when no GTSs had been produced, we had a casual scorecard of RT10s that had been totalled On DEALER TEST DRIVES and during 1st few days and weeks of ownership. It was an amazingly high figure that I recall being several hundred from 92-96. VERY FEW '92s bit it early on, 'casue they were bought at triple-sticker $ and PARKED or car-show queens.

I think 15% is more likley the figure that bit the dust .

[Confession: despite my leaving a Lotus Esprit Turbo SE, I almost lost my 1st RT10 in the first hour, within 5 miles of the dealership. The resulting adreneline and panic sent a message to GO TO DRIVING SCHOOL. I did that 3 weeks later, and thankfully have stayed 'grounded' ever since. Four 'un-schooled' local vca officers here have totalled their Vipers.....and at least 6 other local members as well. Only ONE went to an accredited driving school, and his was just a 1-day school. TAKE A DRIVING SCHOOL !!!]

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info Jon! Actually, you are the perfect person to shed some light on this subject. Let's say 15% or 1,500 is correct. 1,500 "totaled" RT/10's, GEN I & II's. Of that number, how many are still on the road? Given your business, you probably have more insight into this than most.

I know of a GTS in my area that has a salvage title. Car looks great. The insurance definition of "totaled" doesn't necessarily mean the car is off the street. If 15% is the number, how many are gone? (ie. crushed or parted out)

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting question, and one I wondered about as well since the last edition of Viper Magazine. Pages 18 and 19 list all the Vipers and VCA members for each state as well as Canada and Europe. I'm assuming this data for the total number is based on registration records. Not broken down into models, but they listed 18,762 total owners, 3,428 VCA members. There's gotta be more than that.