burning smell at WOT

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last couple times I've floored it for a quick sprint, I noticed a burning smell right afterwards. Any idea what it might be? Car has been running fine other than that.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it smells like real hot brakes it's the clutch slipping. Does RPM seem to go high real quick on hard acceleration. Usually a clutch.:(

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it smells like real hot brakes it's the clutch slipping. Does RPM seem to go high real quick on hard acceleration. Usually a clutch.:(

Hmm... only reason I might have ruled it out is because I had my clutch replaced about 5000 miles ago, and from memory... I don't think it smells like clutch. But now that you mention it, I will smell for it (like I need a good reason to go WOT).

I don't notice the rpm going really high on hard acceleration, but will check for that as well. Thanks!

Anyone else with input?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my GTS. It was the clutch. But the symptoms and smell were as RAYSIR described. Put it in 5th gear at about 70mph and nail it. If the clutch is bad you'll hear it slip.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've smelled that same burning smell when accelerating hard in my 01 GTS. I'm guessing the clutch as well.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've recently been smelling it also on my '96. It very well could be the clutch. Could it be anything else? Should it be replaced or does that just seem to happen?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 01 only has ~6k miles, and has not been driven hard. So, I'm assuming that this is "normal". I don't have any clutch slipping or other problems.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clutch and brake linings have a very unique smell when getting roasted. My clutch smelled burnt, and when I got it out it was burnt. The post about it being only 5000 miles old... You can wear the clutch out in a day, or never. So 5000 miles does not mean much. The smell and slippage are dead give away clues.

BTW, for the do it yourself crowd, the kits on eBay for $165 are the ticket. I know that's been covered before, but here we are on the subject. The pilot bearing was the wrong kind - solid steel versus needle - and the centering tool doesn't fit, but the clutch and pressure plate are genuine Luk. I bought a universal clutch pilot made by KD Tools and it worked great. The OEM pilot bearing is about $15 from a dealer. I skipped it this time, but have it on the shelf for my next clutch job.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the centering tool doesn't fit? Curious as clutch replacement is on my to do list and will probably go with the Luk/ebay kit. I figured that the piolt bearing was the wrong piece but what about the release bearing that's in those kits?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the centering tool doesn't fit? Curious as clutch replacement is on my to do list and will probably go with the Luk/ebay kit. I figured that the piolt bearing was the wrong piece but what about the release bearing that's in those kits?

The pilot end of the centering tool is too small. I've heard of many home remedies for that - eyeball method, fingertip method, etc, but for $18.95 I had the right tool and perfect result.

You must be registered for see images attach

The release bearing looks correct, but the Viper has the bearing integrated onto the slave cylinder. The manual says they are not to be separated. I saw one post that said otherwise. I put in a new OEM slave/bearing assembly.

Also be sure to replace your u-joint straps at the pinion yoke. They are one use only, as the shop manuals say.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's an acrid smell of exhaust, I'll bet I know what the problem is....'cause I had it! In the hatch area, around the wheel wells, under the carpeting (both sides of the car) are ports that are supposed to open and close, for what reason I am not certain. Someone mentioned that are to relieve pressure when you're closing the doors and windows are up. Regardless, over time they decompose and cease to function....kind of rot out and stay open. This allows exhaust gases from under the car to enter the cabin area, really only noticeable when you get on it or really nail it. Stinks like hell, really does! Had both of mine replaced at the dealer, cost about $50 for the pair and about one hour of labor. Hope this helps.......

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point. If the smell burns your eyes, then think exhaust. If it smells like the big rig that just locked 'em up in front of you, think clutch. Cause clutches smell like hot smokin' brakes.

So can you breathe or are you getting choked?

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it be burning rubber under hard acceleration, I think that what I smell when I punch it.????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets