Should I Upgrade to an 08

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it really comes down to what I think but I wanted some feedback to convince myself or stay put. Do you guys and gals think the 08 is a real step up on the 06? Iam not just talking about the 90+HP jump but the suspension,diff,tran and all the other changes to the 08?
I MIGHT have an opp. to trade my 06 Bumblebee in with only 150 miles for an 08 +10K?
Do you think it would be worth it? Iam a little scared about getting a first year model ,so- to- speak . I did not pay top dollar for my BB but didnt steal it either...Let me know your opnions:omg: and dont be shy!!!! Kevin

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Kevin,

Here's my thoughts if I was you:

PRO's
-hey, it's 90 hp for $10k....that's just a little more than headers, catback exhaust and VEC on your 06

-there are some really cool colors, not that a 1 of 36 Bumblebee ain't cool (far from it), but Snakeskin Green, that Violet color....you could end up with a 1 of less than 10 car if you're looking for it

-it's under warranty and you have the forum, so problems will be identified early and fixed quickly

-add a couple mods and you're at 700 hp.....twin turbos......1500?

CON's

-what if the Viper you buy isn't as rare

-maybe you have another use for the $10k (braces for kids, custom tiki bar for pool area, etc.)

-with your Bumblebee being one of 36, will you ever get another if you change your mind in a year or two?

I think the PRO's were better reasons. If they offered me that deal on my 02 ACR, I'd likely try and jump at it.

Regards,
Aaron

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order to post a useful response, you need to disclose how you use the car. If it"s a garage queen or barely used, why upgrade? The 2008 stock to stock has better quarter mile and track performance than the 2006 but if you are not currently using the power and handling you have, upgrading is a waste of money. Also, if you wish to modify the engine, as I recently posted, the 2008 engine will be limited based on its complexity and compression. The 2006 engine is a great platform for mods.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
150 miles.......... I would say you don't even know what your car has............. no offense.

I would say puts some miles on your BB, unless you bought it for a investment, and if you did that i guess will see if thats was a good investment in 25 years.... my guess 65-70K invested elsewhere would be a better investment. my .02

RT10viperfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Aaron told me once, go stand in front of the mirror. When thinking about owning a 2008 if a big smile comes across your face and you can't make it go away, then get one.

Personally your car is phenominal looking and knowing that you and only 35 other people own one has to be worth a lot to you.

How would you feel if you get an 08 and then a week or month later, you see one exactly like it on the road? As rare a chance as that might be, it's pretty safe to say that you are likely to go years before you pass one exactly like the one you have now.

If it was me, I would keep the Bumble Bee. But what do I know, I don't even have a Viper!

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hard call. I might say keep the '06 - Pantax had a great point. How many times have you been beaten in your 150 mile, 510 hp 12 sec 1/4 mile hand built American v-10 exotic? Probably never and likely never will be. Save the cash and use on something else. I always consider upgrading from my '02, but would have a hard time paying $90k for an '08 when I could have the same looking car (as '08) w/ better performance than mine for $65-70k. Sleep on it - if you simply want a one of one, green/black, razor, green int., bezelled dash car, go for it. If not, begin enjoying that beautiful bumble bee!!! :)

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stay put with your car. I too have an '06 coupe (blue and silver) and thought about an '08. However, I feel that despite what many others think, the viper will live and a new design will be coming out within two years or so. If that happens, are you goingot want to trade in your '08 and get that one. At what point does it stop. Eventually you will look back and realize how much mooney you are constantly losing on every car you buy and will most likley regret it. I know losing money is expected when you buy a toy like a viper, but you also doen't want it to become an addiction. Stick with the bad ass car you have and at the least...wait. The '08 won't disappear as fast as you think.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600 stock warrantied HP with a beefed up drivetrain all the way back. If I had the scratch I do it in a hearbeat. In fact, I'd buy two.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the trade, that is an unbelievable price for a trade...boy do i miss park city and salt lake city.... possibly the most beautiful state in the usa

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what are dealers usually offering on 06 coupes and verts say with under 5 k miles for trade in for a 08.i really doubt dealers will sell them at sticker .

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want the 08, trading an 06+10K is a terrific deal. I would be surprised if your dealer will really do it.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you gotta have it, you must want it:rolaugh:

As Chuck said if you've got the scatch, Hellyeah.
If not, love the one you got.

I don't think the average joe will ever know the difference of between your 510hp or an 08 600hp.

And I'd still like to hear how people get that extra 90hp to the ground.

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you gotta have it, you must want it:rolaugh:

As Chuck said if you've got the scatch, Hellyeah.
If not, love the one you got.

I don't think the average joe will ever know the difference of between your 510hp or an 08 600hp.

And I'd still like to hear how people get that extra 90hp to the ground.

tractions not an issure, theres a $2k option for a plus sized model to sit on your bumper during takeoff, that should gain enough traction

F4PHANTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
150 miles.......... I would say you don't even know what your car has............. no offense.

I would say puts some miles on your BB, unless you bought it for a investment, and if you did that i guess will see if thats was a good investment in 25 years.... my guess 65-70K invested elsewhere would be a better investment. my .02

I agree. Why upgrade to an '08 and throw away another $10K when you don't even drive the car? I sincerely doubt you will notice the extra 90 HP since it is no faster than the '06 when sitting still.:rolleyes:

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't even think you've felt the power yours has yet. The owners manual does talk about a break in period in the 1st 500 miles or so.

I got mine with only 450 mi on it from a guy like you who must have stuffed it in the garage, and in only a few hundred miles I put it on it (in two weeks) I've noticed the motor changing already, and getting smoother and stronger through the mid-range of the powerband.

You should at least put 1,000 mi on your car and see what it can do, since if you were to put the $$$ into the new car, you wouldn't even feel the difference right away anyways, again you'd likely have to put 500-1,000 or so on it before you really get to see what the car is capable of.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want the 08, trading an 06+10K is a terrific deal. I would be surprised if your dealer will really do it.

I'd be shocked if a dealer would trade for 10K.

For a while 08 should be going for above sticker, possibly much above - there is always a pool of gotta have first/now it buyers that will inflate prices.....

I think a 10K trade for another 06 would be a good trade let alone an 08. Even though you only have 150 miles it is still a used car.

I find it hard to believe you would trade before running a full tank of gas through the car. After all, you must have know the 08s were comming and would have somewhere around 600 HP.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the trade. With Chrysler's new owners, we have no idea what they are going to cut, or when. I for one, am not sure of a new design in a couple of years.:dunno:

PBR

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Support the brand, definitely upgrade to the 08 if you can. Vipers need all the sales they can muster.

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven the '08 before I retired and it is definitely a better driver than the '06. The transmission is so nice compared to the earlier cars. And the engine is well behaved at low speeds and when you unleash it with the throttle hang on. It pulls strong right to the rev limiter. The chassis changes make it much better on the track also.

I wasn't really thrilled with the '03-'06 cars but the '08 is more to my liking and it's really strong. If money wasn't a problem there would be one in my drive.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've driven the '08 before I retired and it is definitely a better driver than the '06. The transmission is so nice compared to the earlier cars. And the engine is well behaved at low speeds and when you unleash it with the throttle hang on. It pulls strong right to the rev limiter. The chassis changes make it much better on the track also.

I wasn't really thrilled with the '03-'06 cars but the '08 is more to my liking and it's really strong. If money wasn't a problem there would be one in my drive.

That's good to here. I ordered my 08 Black- Graphite bezel- two tone Interior-
no stripes- Coupe, 2 weeks ago.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What chassis changes? I dont remember hearing of any changes besides engine, transmission, rear end, and tires.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well damn now I want one....................:rolaugh:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cripes! I was just getting used to the payments on my current ride! My wallet can't take any more pain! If any of you who are getting the 08s have good news after you drive it, please keep it to yourselves!

Last edited:

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, please do...then put 300 miles on it in the next 4 years and then sell it to me when it has depreciated 30K, because you will be selling it to get a 2012. Then Ill be :drive:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its the MOST important time to order an 08.

Gotta show the new management that Viper has a strong customer base :usa:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on trading in (or selling) my copperhead for an '08. Too much of an improvement to ignore. Yes, we keep losing money when we buy brand new cars and sell them within a couple of years so I would only do it if you can afford those losses.
I'm not sure how long the viper line will continue and I'm not sure the HP will continue to increase. How much more than 600 HP can be safely sold to the public? I know there's the Veyron and the Saleen twin turbo (at many times the cost of the viper) but most supercars don't go much past that mark at any price.
With the move toward alternative fuels and a focus on fuel consumption, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the peak (stock) HP for the viper.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on trading in (or selling) my copperhead for an '08. Too much of an improvement to ignore. Yes, we keep losing money when we buy brand new cars and sell them within a couple of years so I would only do it if you can afford those losses.
I'm not sure how long the viper line will continue and I'm not sure the HP will continue to increase. How much more than 600 HP can be safely sold to the public? I know there's the Veyron and the Saleen twin turbo (at many times the cost of the viper) but most supercars don't go much past that mark at any price.
With the move toward alternative fuels and a focus on fuel consumption, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the peak (stock) HP for the viper.

Not so sure about that. Today base horsepower in even Mazda and Nissan grocery-getters is up past what a Corvette had not that many years back. It sees every time I see a car commercial there touting hp ratings for sport sedans of around 300HP or more.

So 600HP isn't all that outlandish, especially when the Z06 has 500+ and only costs about $70K, which in terms of car pricing is somewhat expensive but not really. Tons of Mercedes cars sport power ratings up around 400+ and as soon as you add the AMG badge/version you're looking at more than 500HP.

And these aren't sports cars for fanatics, they're executive daily driver cars for lawyers and executives, etc. and people these days buying any car over $60,000 are accustomed to seeing 400-500HP. And all these cars are fuel efficient (as much as they can be) and run fairly clean emissions-wise.

So it is by no means extreme in my mind that what is virtually a race car bred design like the Viper comes stock with 600HP. That new 'Blue Devil' Corvette is going to be produced and they're talking about 750HP for that thing.

Just the fact that so many folks have blown Vipers with 700+ HP and drive them around just fine on the street proves that these horsepower numbers, in a modern fuel injected computer controlled cars, can just as easily go get the groceries as they can run hi 10's at the drag strip!

In the old days if you wanted 600HP+ you were talking about headers and a wild cam, running leaded gas, with no catalytic converters too! Not anymore!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin, you said don't be shy. Less than a year ago your bought your '06, after having owned an 01 bee for only a couple of months. Why don't you drive these cars??? While I doubt you can trade for an '08 striped coupe for $10K more, go ahead an do it, and tell me the dealers name so I can think about doing the same. Regardless of what you end up with, drive it!!!

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=594535

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not so sure about that. Today base horsepower in even Mazda and Nissan grocery-getters is up past what a Corvette had not that many years back. It sees every time I see a car commercial there touting hp ratings for sport sedans of around 300HP or more.

So 600HP isn't all that outlandish, especially when the Z06 has 500+ and only costs about $70K, which in terms of car pricing is somewhat expensive but not really. Tons of Mercedes cars sport power ratings up around 400+ and as soon as you add the AMG badge/version you're looking at more than 500HP.

And these aren't sports cars for fanatics, they're executive daily driver cars for lawyers and executives, etc. and people these days buying any car over $60,000 are accustomed to seeing 400-500HP. And all these cars are fuel efficient (as much as they can be) and run fairly clean emissions-wise.

So it is by no means extreme in my mind that what is virtually a race car bred design like the Viper comes stock with 600HP. That new 'Blue Devil' Corvette is going to be produced and they're talking about 750HP for that thing.

Just the fact that so many folks have blown Vipers with 700+ HP and drive them around just fine on the street proves that these horsepower numbers, in a modern fuel injected computer controlled cars, can just as easily go get the groceries as they can run hi 10's at the drag strip!

In the old days if you wanted 600HP+ you were talking about headers and a wild cam, running leaded gas, with no catalytic converters too! Not anymore!
Why is everyone stuck on the Hp number? The 08 was not only about Hp numbers. Hell they could of put a Paxton on and called it a day. It is about getting useable Hp to THE GROUND. I bet a good portion of that R&D was for this purpose.
P.S. now the holy grail Bluedevil is up to 750hp?:rolleyes: Give me a break.I would be surprised if it is over 650.....

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I was hoping to get aspirations coupe and now he will be giving it away, I guess you snooze you loose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave