Squeaking Noise When Accelerating???!?!?!?

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay. I've had my Viper for about 6 weeks now, but I recently discovered what might be a problem. When I am in low RPMs in any gear, when I first accelerate, there is a squeak that comes from somewhere under the car. It's not nearly as loud as a brake squeak, but it has kind of the same pitch as a squeaking brake. The squeak subsides around 2500-3000 RPMs, but it exists in that lower RPM range for every gear. If I'm cruising around in 2nd or 3rd gear, it doesn't make the squeak until I hit the accelerator, and it lasts half a second or so. It's not squeaking all the time in the low RPM range--only when I hit the accelerator.

My brakes squeak, and my pads are about half worn. I don't know if this is related to my brakes (they work fine), and there aren't any other noticeable problems with the car. Any ideas on what this squeak could be?

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont know if filters are enough to cause that sound, but, it does sound like the "aftermarket" intake squeal usually associated with smooth tubes.

Kurt E

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like the pully squeak that I'm told all Vipers have. Does it sounds a little like a supercharger? A little more airy than a brake squeak? If so, I believe it is normal as mine has done it since I bought it 2.5 years ago.

OP
OP
T

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This sounds like the pully squeak that I'm told all Vipers have. Does it sounds a little like a supercharger? A little more airy than a brake squeak? If so, I believe it is normal as mine has done it since I bought it 2.5 years ago.

I'm familiar with what SC's and Turbos sound like, and it's nothing like the "breathy whine" those give off. This is more along the lines of a faint brake squeak, and it is coming from somewhere under the car. I am beginning to wonder if it could be clutch related.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '01 GTS does the same thing. Smooth tubes, K&N's and Bellanger cat back are the mods. We are apparently in a unique club, of where I'm gonna park that problem in "ain't broke, don't fix it." Unless someone can explain what it is, and why I should mess with it. I recently did the clutch, but did not replace the pilot bearing. Just lubed it. And anyway, with the clutch released, the tranny shaft and crankshaft are at the same speed. Meaning the pilot bearing is not doing it's thing. So that can't be it. But it does sound like that area.

Hmm...

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine squeaks about every year...so I torque down the rear axle nuts and that takes care of the problem for a while.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be one helluva athlete to run along side a Viper. I tried to get the GF to diagnose the problem from underneath the car and when I took off she got, well, um. I need a new GF now.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be one helluva athlete to run along side a Viper. I tried to get the GF to diagnose the problem from underneath the car and when I took off she got, well, um. I need a new GF now.

Haha...nah

Car didn't have to move much to hear it;)

OP
OP
T

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See, I've searched through and read a lot of the threads on here about clutches going bad. My car shows none of the signs that most people mention like poor acceleration at low RPMs, RPMs spiking before acceleration kicks in, or being able to feel the clutch slipping.

If I am going to replace my clutch, should I just replace it with an OEM replacement?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See, I've searched through and read a lot of the threads on here about clutches going bad. My car shows none of the signs that most people mention like poor acceleration at low RPMs, RPMs spiking before acceleration kicks in, or being able to feel the clutch slipping.

If I am going to replace my clutch, should I just replace it with an OEM replacement?

Well, at first you posted a squeak. Then a smell. We're just trying to help.

The OEM clutch off eBay for $165.00 is the ticket. Unless you like a puck disk. I don't recommend that for street use. I had one in another vehicle. Too rad for everyday comfort.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the belt is slipping, it would be burning or melting & it is made of rubber.

It would be most noticeable under acceleration & turning the wheels. Unlike older cars where we could adjust the tension of the belts, the newer serpentine belt has a spring loaded tensioner that has no adjustment.

I always look for the easiest things first, in hopes of a cheap fix. Usually it doesn't work out that way.

OP
OP
T

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My dad has said he smells a burning smell when he's been driving the car for a while and then he hits the gas fairly hard. I haven't noticed it like he has, so I didn't mention it before. Of course he's freaking out and wanting to take it to our Viper Tech.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With my first Viper I had some weird sounds when first accelerating. Climbing udner the car it turned out that the shop installing the supercharger forgot to instal the motor mount bolts, easily fixed. You guys should check all your engine bolts while looking for shiny metal as sqeeling sounds are usually metal on metal? Check tranny to engine bolts, exhaust rubbing, driveshaft rubbing, etc.

If there's a burning smell it probably is the belt slipping, or the clutch, but they smell completely different.

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad has said he smells a burning smell when he's been driving the car for a while and then he hits the gas fairly hard. I haven't noticed it like he has, so I didn't mention it before. Of course he's freaking out and wanting to take it to our Viper Tech.

Sounds like a clutch. But if you can't recognize the odor - rubber belt & clutch linings DO NOT smell alike - them maybe your best bet is a mechanic that does recognize different smells. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper