utah viper "KING OF THE HILL" half mile shootout at sandhills

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just wanted to congratulate todd(utah viper) for winning the half mile shootout at the sandhills open road challange.

i called todd last tuesday afternoon to get him to meet me in nebraska for the shootout. i told him he would have to be there to tech in before 3pm thursday. he was not prepared at all. he said he would try to get everything together. i called him wednesday morning, and he said he would go. wow!!! he was willing to travel 12 hours with hours of notice. a true dedicated freak, addicted to speed.

friday morning was the event. the event is run on a 2 lane road. todd's first pass 176.3mph in the standing half mile. second pass 176. third pass 177 something.

just for comparison sake, zo7 and viper srt's were running 162-164 in the 1 mile shootout.

congrats todd with your heffner tt srt on being 1/2 mile KING OF THE HILL.

ps. congrats bob from colorado in his gen II svs diy tt and getting 2nd. running 800+hp running 167 in the half mile.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Todd and Bob. The old 1/2 mile record was 162mph. That's a huge jump :D

Seems like there were only four cars in the mile shootout that beat Todd's 1/2 mile mph.....and quite a few cars were in that class.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's awesome! Did Todd try the full mile as well? I don't think I'd have the b@lls for it myself... Speaking of, how did the 1-mile cars do?

Congrats Todd!

JD

OP
OP
V

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
todd did not have a rollbar or 5pt harness to run the 1 mile. heck, he didn't even have a helmet or suit either. lucky for him he was able to use my gear.

a mitsu evo 8 has the new 1 mile record of 215.8.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
todd did not have a rollbar or 5pt harness to run the 1 mile. heck, he didn't even have a helmet or suit either. lucky for him he was able to use my gear.

a mitsu evo 8 has the new 1 mile record of 215.8.

Wow thats one fast brick...Only 5 mph off H Venom did in R&T article....Another car that will show the Veyron its taillights

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daughter and I had a great time and I would highly recommend this event to anyone who loves to race and hang out with great people. There was no drama just racing. Thanks goes out to trent for pushing me to go and my family for letting me go.

It was great to meet Bob, Kai, and all the other viper owners. There was about 8-9 vipers there.

This was my first time at this type of event and there is definitely a learning curve. I thought there would be time in between runs for tuning and turning up the power, there wasn't but maybe 5-10 minutes and the trailers were at least a 1/2 a mile away. This tune is the base pump gas tune from heffner with the boost turned up in 4th and 5th gear(I run 100 octane). I was at 16psi of boost at the top of 4th and all the way through 5th. My a/f was low 10's because I was planning on turning up the power between runs but that didn't happen. I think I was running around 1000rwhp. If the tune was closer to 11:1 then I would have been around 1050-1075rwhp.

Trent it was great to see you again! I love it when we get together to race. There isn't many of us out west, maybe we can recruit bob and the others that were there.

Anyone wondering what trents car will do should come to the silver state in september where the records will fall at 6500ft of elevation! Look out anyone and everyone interested in the mile events. I rode in it and it is unlike any viper I have ever or will ever be in. 7000rpm is a whole new world.I am going to bribe trent to only run the mile events so I can still maybe win something in the 1/2 mile.

I don't know how elevation will affect the turbo cars at 6500ft but I plan to run both 1/2 mile and mile events there. I am hoping to see 220mph there and 185-190 in the 1/2mile but time will tell.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Utah,

Good job at the Sand Hills race. Nice to see Vipers win.

What's the elevation there at the Sand Hills event?

Having run at the Silver State a few times, they won't let you run both the 1/2 and the mile, so pick one in advance.

Also, at 6500 feet above sea level, you will loose a bunch more power than you're thinking. You might get to 170 mph or so in the 1/2. You will have to run street tires and you'll spin in the first three gears, at least I did, so you end up short shifting.

You'll need some saftey equipment too, so I'd check their rules before you go. Hate to see you not be able to run.

The road isn't so good either and the wind comes up in the afternoon, adding to the challenge of keeping the car straight on that crowned two lane road that they run on. My SRT was only making 800 rwhp at that time and I got to 164 mph in the 1/2. It's stronger now, but I think 170 "ish" would be my max.

One of our guys got to 202 mph last May in the mile with a supercharger plus two stages of Nitrous and a 3 speed auto trans. I'm not sure of his rwhp but think it was around 1200 peak with as much or more rwtq.

Good luck,

Dan:usa:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sandhills elevation is about 3200 feet.

I ran 178.9 in my naturally aspirated car. (Next year, I will lighten the fuel load a bit and see if I can break 180.)

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, where is the sand hills race at in NE. Grew up in NE and wouldn't mind showing up to get a few high speed runs in next year.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SORC is at Arnold. That's NE of North Platte. You need to sign up in advance because it's sold out soon after the last event. If all you want to do is the shootout sometimes you can wait till later to get in. The main attraction is the road race. It's a blast.