Viper War XII - August 24th - Gingerman Raceway

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That time of year is upon us. It's time for Viper War! It's a day we get together to have some fun on the track, our home base for Viper War is of course Gingerman Raceway.

Details for the event are in the below link:
http://www.illinoisvipers.com/documents/2007/8-24-07 Gingerman.pdf

You can also visit the website for more info on our driving events at:
http://www.illinoisvipers.com/pit/racing_eventinfo.html

It's going to be a great day filled with a LOT of Vipers my friends. As always we'll have classroom instruction, in car instructors for those who would like them, awards for those who compete, and plenty of track time for everyone to just keep their foot to the floor. Always a first rate event.

We've already got a long list of cars. If you're interested, simply contact our race director Aaron at 847-833-1350 or email him at [email protected]. He'll get you setup.

See you there!

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final call for Gingerman this Friday. Looks like we'll have a great showing.

If you want to get in, contact Aaron above.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final call for Gingerman this Friday. Looks like we'll have a great showing.

If you want to get in, contact Aaron above.

Alex, I presume I am in the count. I can fax in the forms if you provide a number.

And start hoping for a dryingtrend. Very wet right now!

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex:

Can you do something about the weather please? Sunny and 75 degrees would be great, thank you.

I just washed out of Autobahn on Monday. :mad: It rained almost all day. Plus that track has some major drainage issues. There were places that must have had 2-3 inches of water on the track. :omg:

It was fine if you were driving a miata or some other 150hp 2,000# car, but not for a viper. Only other viper there had a near miss on its first and only session. :crazy2: I ran one session in a driving rain, sat there for a while ,ate lunch and went home.

So I'd prefer not to have 2 rainouts in the same week please.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Robert, Is Autobahn open to the public or did you go with another club?

Andy,

I went with MVP Tracktime. They seemed like nice guys. They are supposed to go to Road America later in the year. I'd like to check that out.

You going to Gingerman?

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem guys, I'm working on the weather. After that I'll be sure to take care of that nagging economy and world hunger.

Rain isn't all that bad. I of course don't prefer it, but we still run the track (although not in those river Autobahn conditions). We've been through a lot of rains at Gingerman, not that bad. Plus it's looking like scattered showers, somehow we always get lucky. Some of my best memories though are sitting under the tent with the guys waiting for the rain to stop. I'll have my jeep there either way, so I'll be doing lessons in that if it's raining hard. There's still plenty we can do on the track.

Gr8 ASP, bring your forms with you.

See you there.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished putting on my sport cups. If it is wet I stay in the dry paddock. I decided not to trailer this time as my wife did not want to come along (trailer is too much of a hassle alone). With that I have no tire choice but what I arrive with.

See you in the morning ALex (after a early long drive).

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocking day yesterday! The day was great for racing. Not a DROP of rain. Then toward the end of our day we had a big downpour for about 10 mins. We did awards and tioed things up, and when we were done teh sun was completely out and completely blue skies. Track dried up after awards for a few folks to go out and just have some open track lapse.

Maybe I do have special powers! ;.)

Lots of folks opted to cancel at the last moment, but the day was pretty darn good. About 20 cars for Viper War.

Thanks to all who braved the bad weather the day before.

PS Very interesting ride back. Because of flooding in Indiana and Illinois, wild flooding on the highway. I thought I'd be slick and get off of i80 and skip the part that was flooded, problem is all the towns along the highways were also flooded! Can't remember seeing such a bad flood in the area.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I missed it. I was on the way out there. Got stuck on 80/94 for two hours to go four miles because of flooding. Finally got past the flooding and 2 minutes later I got a call from the fire dept. My office had been struck by lightning and was on fire. :crazy2: By the time I got there fire was out. We managed to save the client files but everything else is a total loss. :dunno: We had just moved in two years ago and had done a fair amount of work. It's going to be a long winter. :(

I'm bummed I missed Gingerman. I had made every other event to date this year.

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Rob. Unbelievable.

Several guys in the club ran into some misfortune, but you truly had a bad day. Anything anyone in the club can do, let us know.