Bang for the buck?

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06 VCA Coupe and would like to start moding it out. What I'm currious is what is the best back for the buck for faster acceleration? Is it the 3.55 gears or Paxton? I probablly will run it at Viper Day's track events once in awhile, but otherwise just a street car.

What would I expect for quarter miles times with each of these changes independently?

Also, is there a good shop around the Minneapolis area that can tune a Vtec computer?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really depends on what ya wanna eventually do with the car. it sonds like the paxton is already in the back of your head.....

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We just had PBJ here in Minneapolis to tune 5 Vipers. One was a SRT with Paxton and M&M Performance headers. He put down 660 RWHP. We are all meeting Thursday night. PM me your number and I will give you the details

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like Mbccenter mention, paxton is the way to go. Yes, gears really do wake these cars up. But a Paxton makes you think you just bought a new car!
Having said that there is a pretty big price difference between the two. But hell it only money. Besides we will all be dead in 50 years from Global warming.:D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, the 3.55s are the way to go ... if you're not going to drop the $ for a Paxton. Stock, I wish my car had 3.55s, it would be much more fun to drive to me. But, if you have the $ to do the Paxton - there seems to be nothing out there to put the Viper in the stratosphere of power for less $, with quite a bit of tuner support out there.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 3.55 gear in my Viper. Love the gear.

I had the DLM Paxton installed ,and with the 3.55 and light weight fly wheel the Viper is very quick.

Like Finally said-with the Paxton you think you have a new car.
DMan-it is very fun to :drive:.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running 3:73 gears and really enjoy them over the factory 3:07's Much more fun to drive and they are much smoother in city traffic. Still get 20mpg on the highway but, its kind of hard not to zoom up in the lower gears. amazing acceleration.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im getting abt 12 mpg now.....i cant imagine what my mpg would be with gears....
(not that i bought the car for its gas miserliness, im just sayin...)

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im getting abt 12 mpg now.....i cant imagine what my mpg would be with gears....
(not that i bought the car for its gas miserliness, im just sayin...)

That's about what my '06 coupe was doing average between town / hiway mix. Went to 3.55's and it went up .. does pretty close to 20 hwy and about 13-14 in town now. I cruise @80 most times.

Noise in cabin reduced also because you don't have to hold it to the floor in 6th gear to maintain speed 75-80mph. Less throttle, less gas.

Do the 3.55's, you'll be really glad you did. 6th is your friend and quite usable down to about 65mph.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paxton = $$$ ... all that HP is a good value, but no comparison to the bag-for-the-buck from gears, which are relatively cheap to do.

If you go with 3.33s, you'll be happy no matter what ... if you go with 3.55s, you may want to change them again later, if you ever do get a Paxton in the future

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt the difference in an SRT-10 vert from stock to Paxtonized as a passenger.. let's just say it is a VERY different car indeed :omg: Felt like putting on the soundtrack of Top Gun, Kenny Loggins - Dangerzone in particular.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3:55 gears "helped" the performance initially.......but the Paxton definitely made my car a "supercar!" Very, very fast, stupid fast.....tonite....had to give a ride home to a buddy who's Superformance Cobra died on him.......(electrical problem).....he was "shocked" at the performance of the Viper......."this car is really, really fast!" was his first remark......then "this car surprised the hell out of me......!" was the next sentence (his car has a 460 Ford punched out to 472 and NOS)...he next asked "this car weighs 3,400lbs?" "I am impressed beyond impressed" was the next statement......that pretty much says it all!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really depends on what ya wanna eventually do with the car. it sonds like the paxton is already in the back of your head.....

+1. I was gonna say Hoosiers, pads, two-piece slotted rotors, 5-points and a dry sump, but none of that will help him much on a dragstrip.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........I have an 06 VCA Coupe and would like to start moding it out. What I'm currious is what is the best back for the buck for faster acceleration? Is it the 3.55 gears or Paxton? I probablly will run it at Viper Day's track events once in awhile, but otherwise just a street car......

If the stated condition is "Bang for Buck" the hands-down answer is REAR GEAR SWAP.

A Paxton project costs more than 10 times the price of the gears, and does not accelerate 10 X faster. There are other opinions, but there is no other answer: B4B = Gears.

Gears also help the car slow down quicker.......no extra charge.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got gears from JohnB last year...

For the buck you really can't beat it....

Once you have them you will never want to get rid of them...

I now have the DLM paxton kit and I still love them....

Go with the gears now and get the paxton later....

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper