Oil pan upgrade

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I track my car so I am looking to go with Comp coupe pan/swing arm, or maybe the Viper Specialties oil pan with swing arm or even the 08 pan upgrade from Viper Specialties.

Any help here from anyone? VS says there is a problem with the CC pan and their is the best (I would too if I was selling it).

I have nothing against, or even any opinion about VS or CC but am hoping some of you have some real world experience.

Thanks,
Bruce

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will find out shortly. Just finished getting one from Daniel installed last Friday. Have a track day in 1 week. I am hopeful I will now be able to take left turns without th epressure drop I experienced to date.

Not sure exactly how it differs but Daniel indicated it had more travel in one direction than a stock Comp Coupe pan and pick-up.

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will find out shortly. Just finished getting one from Daniel installed last Friday. Have a track day in 1 week. I am hopeful I will now be able to take left turns without th epressure drop I experienced to date.

Not sure exactly how it differs but Daniel indicated it had more travel in one direction than a stock Comp Coupe pan and pick-up.

Yep, the left turn is where I saw the stock pan failing also. Do you have the VS regular pan or the VS 08 setup?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I track my car so I am looking to go with Comp coupe pan/swing arm, or maybe the Viper Specialties oil pan with swing arm or even the 08 pan upgrade from Viper Specialties.

Any help here from anyone? VS says there is a problem with the CC pan and their is the best (I would too if I was selling it).

I have nothing against, or even any opinion about VS or CC but am hoping some of you have some real world experience.

Thanks,
Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Just a heads up, this product is Brand New, there are only 5 currently in existance. Feel free to ask for feedback on everything else I have sold, but you arent going to hear much back on the oil pans. There are plenty of people here who can vouche for me... have been here for a LONG time, and I am confident that my knowledge and tech advise on this board speaks for itself.

Just a heads up, the '08 systems are out of stock, I already have more on order... they shouldnt be far out... sold my last one a few days ago.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, the left turn is where I saw the stock pan failing also. Do you have the VS regular pan or the VS 08 setup?

GR8 ASP has one of the very early prototypes, it was produced before the '08 parts became available in any quantities. It is "technically" neither of the systems I now offer, as it is based on the CC pan, where the new systems are based on the '08 parts. It could be most closely compared to the standard pan/pickup system however. The "full" system is about 10x more complex, and currently not compatible with Paxton blowers (not for long...)

I will post up a few pictures later from our "prototype" car.... it has the final versions of damn near everything we sell on it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have the CC pan and have had no issues what so ever. easy install too.

Flash

There are many people with OEM pans as well that dont have issues... that does not mean they dont have the potential to have them. All it takes is the right circumstances at the right time.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,

Daniel is usually right .....

Having said that, I know that the CC swing arm pick up has undergone some changes / enhancements since it's first run, like many Viper parts. I have two of these, one in a 04 SRT-10 (older version) and one in a 06 SRTC (newer version). Both of them have worked fine for me, no loss of oil pressure.

One thing though, and I can't see the inside of the VS oil pan but I had my oil pans modified by Exotic Engine at the same time I had the CC oil pick ups installed. Some of the passages were opened up and the windage tray was slotted as well. Exotic Engine builds Viper race engines here and for Europe, so they see oiling problems pretty regularly and have come up with some solutions. You should talk to Daniel about this, pehaps he knows if some of the oil pan / windage tray mods made it into the 08's or what he does to his pans.

Funny you guys mention left turns. We noticed more oiling issues on long, fast right hand turns out West. One of our club members lost his engine in a right hand sweeper at Buttonwillow last year and it isn't that long or that fast.

Willow Springs has one long right hand sweeper that has taken a few Viper engines too.

Good luck,

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I should note here: the pan from the 08 taht we use is COMPLETELY different than the OEM and Comp Coupe pans. The CC pan is really nothing more than a slightly modified stock pan. Notice the last picture I posted above, the bottom countour of that pan is nothing like the OEM's or CC pans.

Viper X- Note what I said over on the Alley as a precurser to this post:

"But yes, the Comp Coupe pans have a swingarm location issue. the swingarm only swings to the passenger side, not the driver. In effect, fixing one issue and not helping the next issue in line (Viper X- the issue in your post above fits right into this category). Also, the pickup sits very far forward in the pickup area, which will run the pickup dry on extremely powerful cars during straight line accelleration. Its a toss up when this happens- if you happen to accell while the pickup is swung right, you will be OK, if its dead straight, you can have issues. The new 08 based systems use a new pan with better baffling, better contours, a better pickup location, swing range, and placement, as well as better oil return due to steep ramping of the bottom towards the sump area in comparison to the 03-06 and CC pans. Lastly, the pickup block sits snugly in the pan cover, sealing the sump area from slosh-out as well as the high-speed slinging oil from the crank causing frothing of the oil in the sump area.

Hope that helps explain it..."

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Daniel,

Nice to hear that the 08 oil pan and indeed oiling system have been upgraded. Too many earlier cars lost engines.

What do you sell the your 08 oil pan, pick up, etc. kit for? Is it a bolt on to the 03-06 cars?

Dan:usa:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Daniel,

Nice to hear that the 08 oil pan and indeed oiling system have been upgraded. Too many earlier cars lost engines.

What do you sell the your 08 oil pan, pick up, etc. kit for? Is it a bolt on to the 03-06 cars?

The 08' pan/pickup upgrade kit is 999.00. It is a bolt-on from us, but requires modification to be a bolt on. This is already included in the price.

The Complete 08 kit is 2995.00 (slated to increase due to machine work), but that includes a whole lot more- complete high volume oil pump & timing cover, water pump, new pressure relief valve, pan, pickup, larger alternator, ATI damper, and a ton of machine work. This is also shown in the above pictures, but it is just a frontal installed shot.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Daniel why was the older kit more expensive (used)? I am now confused.

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks form all the infromation - I want to get something decided since I will not take my Viper back to the track till I get this issue resolved. I have another track car to relieve my pain till I get it worked out, plus my next two weekends will be spent moving kids into dorms!!!!

I been so busy at work just haven't had time to make any calls.

Daniel, I will try and call you tomorrow.

Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So Daniel why was the older kit more expensive (used)? I am now confused.

That kit was based on the Comp Coupe system which had a much more expensive base parts content. The CC base parts are 2000.00 bucks + modification labor, while the 08 parts base cost is a little less than 1000.00 + modification labor. The 2008 parts were not yet available when you purchased your setup. If you are in any way disatisfied with how this all turned out due to product release dates, please contact me and I will see what we can do about it, it was certainly not my intention, just how it played out.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks form all the infromation - I want to get something decided since I will not take my Viper back to the track till I get this issue resolved. I have another track car to relieve my pain till I get it worked out, plus my next two weekends will be spent moving kids into dorms!!!!

I been so busy at work just haven't had time to make any calls.

Daniel, I will try and call you tomorrow.

Bruce

I am easiest to get a hold of later in the day into the evening. I am usually making phone calls or running errands earlier.

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the comp coupe oil pan sold by Mopar is such a piece of crap, two questions:

1-Is the over the counter part not the same one used on the comp coupes?

2-If it is indeed the same part then maybe we should hear from some of the numerous comp coupe owners as to their experience with the pan. Do they modify the pan? I don't recall engine reliability being an issue for comp coupes.

3-If I were going to spend $3,000. I think I would rather spend whatever and have a dry sump system.

Bill

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Pocono yesterday and I think somone lost their engine on a long left banking... I added some added some additional oil prior to the event upon Dan's comments. My car is fine however i wasnt able to keep an eye on the oil gauge while take the left banking turn at over 120 mph.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So if the comp coupe oil pan sold by Mopar is such a piece of crap, two questions:

1-Is the over the counter part not the same one used on the comp coupes?

2-If it is indeed the same part then maybe we should hear from some of the numerous comp coupe owners as to their experience with the pan. Do they modify the pan? I don't recall engine reliability being an issue for comp coupes.

3-If I were going to spend $3,000. I think I would rather spend whatever and have a dry sump system.

Bill

I never said it was a peice of crap, I just said it was flawed....... and you asked three questions.

1. Yes, the "over the counter" part is the same part as the comp coupes.

2. most comp coupes dont have near the power that some of these street cars are making, which aggravates the problem... big time. The CC is also a race car- engines are expected to go on race cars, and engines on race cars are inspected and rebuilt FAR more often. I expect many issues are either not spoken about as much, or simply headed off before they become major problems in the first place.

3. 3000.00 isnt going to get you far on a dry sump... and there are MANY downsides for a street driven car. Its not as cut and dried as you may think, and the 08 system looks to be as reliable as it possibly can be in a wet-sump configuration, with no side effects. Not to mention, the 3000.00 system isnt what is in question here... thats a hell of a lot more than most people will need, its half the engine! The system is question here is the standard pan/pickup, which is only 999.00... 1000 bucks less than the CC pan, and more capable.

Last edited:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel - I was not complaining. Just wondering out loud. I now know and understand.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

$999.00 is a great deal for this set up, especially for those of us who paid $2K for the CC system which netted us a used oil pan with some welding on the bottom and an oil pick up that looks like a home made "one off" type of part.

I think I paid another couple of hundred bucks for the mods to the CC pan to help make it more effective.

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what races you watch Mr. Lasser, but I can't remember a comp coupe engine failure ever being seen on a televised race. But as I said why not get a response from the comp coupe guys. I know everytime I visit DC Performance there is usually more than one CC at his place. Why not ask Dan?

And I said if I were going to spend $3,000 OR WHATEVER, I would rather have a dry sump system.

West Coast Viper offers a full dry sump system for $5,500.

There are many hi performance street machines that come standard with dry sump systems. Ferrari, Porsche, CORVETTE Z06 (you know the car that made Dodge step to the plate with a 600 horsepower engine)!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure what races you watch Mr. Lasser, but I can't remember a comp coupe engine failure ever being seen on a televised race. But as I said why not get a response from the comp coupe guys. I know everytime I visit DC Performance there is usually more than one CC at his place. Why not ask Dan?

And I said if I were going to spend $3,000 OR WHATEVER, I would rather have a dry sump system.

West Coast Viper offers a full dry sump system for $5,500.

There are many hi performance street machines that come standard with dry sump systems. Ferrari, Porsche, CORVETTE Z06 (you know the car that made Dodge step to the plate with a 600 horsepower engine)!

Viperrt- I apologize in advance if this comes off as "rough", but you seem fixated on certain parts of this thread that arent the point. You really are barking up the wrong tree(s) on this one, and you certainly need to do your homework on that dry sump. I have not only looked into all of the dry sump options, but designed two of them for the SRT myself- but scrapped them after the final costs, both Dollars and Sense came into the equation. To say I have just a *little* experience dealing with the oiling systems in these cars is the understatement of the year.

Now, onto the rest of the program;

First of all, for the second time, this is regarding a 999.00 system Vs. a 1999.00 Comp Coupe pan, of which the cheaper option is actually better. This has nothing to do with the 3K system I offer. That makes your Dry Sump option over FIVE TIMES more expensive, uninstalled, and incomplete!

Second, That dry sump you are drooling all over takes the place of your A/C pump and a good portion of your trunk space- going to be driving around in traffic in CA with no A/C and no longer enough room for your golf clubs? If you will, then you are truly ********:2tu:

Third, 5500.00 is INCOMPLETE. That does not include the tank, lines, install, or removal of the various components to make it fit. That's just the pump, pan, balancer, and belt assembly. And if you want that same system, I'll even cut you a deal on it, its your car after all. I dealt with the actual manufacturer of that system for months trying to come up with a truly streetable solution using their components to no avail.

Lastly, the Comp Coupes really have next to nothing to do with this conversation. They are different cars, in different situations, with different horsepower levels and different maintenance schedules than any of these street cars. The CC pan does not cut it in all situations on the street cars when driven on the track, so there are now better options. Just ask Kai and others how much the CC pan did to save there engines on the track.

PS- That dry sump system on the ZO6 did a wonderful job of preventing their engine failures. :laugh:
PPS- You have seen a Porsche finish a race? when?

I kid, I kid ;)

Last edited:

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those looking to go the dry sump route, www.aviaid.com has come out with a viper dry sump allowing the retention of the air conditioner. For $3,000 they furnish the pan, pump drive, ATI Damper, remote filter/regulator mount.
You will need to supply the tank & attachment lines. According to Aviaid you use the stock engine mounts as well.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Mopar Competition Coupe Oil Pan and Articulating oil Pickup tube for sale in the classifieds. I sold my Viper an took it off before the sale. It is in excellent conditon, in the original box with installation instructions. It was on my car for only six months. Im asking $1100 OBO:drive:

Billy

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Mopar Competition Coupe Oil Pan and Articulating oil Pickup tube for sale in the classifieds. I sold my Viper an took it off before the sale. It is in excellent conditon, in the original box with installation instructions. It was on my car for only six months. Im asking $1100 OBO:drive:

Billy
Email sent.