Man i am lean, anyone else?

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, just finished installing the headers and the widebands. Went for a little spin and man i am running lean. I am starting to wonder if it's the widebands that don't give an accurate reading or if it's really lean.

When i go WOT, it will be 14:1 from 3k to 4k rpm, then drop to 13,7 13, 5 between 4k and 5k and only at 5,5k it gets to around 13:1.

Anyone else ever experienced such lean conditions with those mods?

I have B&B headers, Borla exhaust, smooth tubes, VEC2 with stock settings (untuned).

Also, when i am at idle, my passenger side is a little more lean, it goes from 15.5 to sometimes 18, it is jumping a lot. Idle is fine but it seems lean also. Only thing that works good is at cruise, i get a good 15:1 on both bank. I will try to setup the widebands so they can work with the log in the VEC2, i am waiting for an answer from Roe to see how to set them up. I'll see if i get the same readings there.

thanks for any feedback.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, just finished installing the headers and the widebands. Went for a little spin and man i am running lean. I am starting to wonder if it's the widebands that don't give an accurate reading or if it's really lean.

When i go WOT, it will be 14:1 from 3k to 4k rpm, then drop to 13,7 13, 5 between 4k and 5k and only at 5,5k it gets to around 13:1.

Anyone else ever experienced such lean conditions with those mods?

I have B&B headers, Borla exhaust, smooth tubes, VEC2 with stock settings (untuned).

Also, when i am at idle, my passenger side is a little more lean, it goes from 15.5 to sometimes 18, it is jumping a lot. Idle is fine but it seems lean also. Only thing that works good is at cruise, i get a good 15:1 on both bank. I will try to setup the widebands so they can work with the log in the VEC2, i am waiting for an answer from Roe to see how to set them up. I'll see if i get the same readings there.

thanks for any feedback.

Sounds like a dyno-tune is in order---any tuners in your area??? That'd be my suggestion anyway....headers/exhaust/smooth tubes and VECII--that all really requires fine tuning so you're a/f ratio evens out....ENJOY~~~juli

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers do tend to lean the car out.

Sean can set you up with a log file that will let you log the A/F direcly instead of logging the voltage off the WBO and then having to try to translate the numbers.

The VEC is easy to do basic tuning with, and you can easily add some fuel back in at the right places. If you are reading off the A/F guage, you might find that you aren't running as lean as you think when you actually log the values.

OP
OP
P

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i will, as soon as i get the answer from Roe, but i just wanted to know if anyone else experienced similar a/f ratio with those mod on an unmodified ecu. I thought with the VEC i was going to lean it out, seems like it's going to be the opposite...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 foot 4 inches, 200 pounds. I like "lean," but often I hear "skinny."

Good gosh, leave it to you to go 'off topic' AGAIN!!!! If I were 6'4", 200lbs....I'd NOT hear the words lean NOR skinny!!! Luckily, I can say I am not that size!!! In a man, that's a nice size!~! yep, now we're talking gender...cars--not gender related!!!
Enjoy your weekend, Dave...we'll get back to beating each other up next week!~! :cool: ~juli

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i will, as soon as i get the answer from Roe, but i just wanted to know if anyone else experienced similar a/f ratio with those mod on an unmodified ecu. I thought with the VEC i was going to lean it out, seems like it's going to be the opposite...

The stock card is junk. Sean will give you a couple of starter tunes to get you going but he'll need your logs and/or dyno charts to help zero in your AFR. I have belanger headers, catback and RT cats. After I installed them I began running very rich at WOT, in fact I was running in the low 10's. During closed loop I'm between 14.4 and 15.1. Sean helped me get started with a tune and I've gotten the AFR in the 12.7 to 13.2 range during open loop which my car seems to like best. The VEC3 has predefined sensor settings for various wide bands so I'm able to read the actual ratios in my logs for the LC-1. If you look in the tuning section you'll see a bunch of how-to's on logging and WBO. I'm sure Sean can help you get the AFR's in your logs with the Vec2.

OP
OP
P

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah thing is i don't have those predifined inputs in the VEC2, i know what you are talking about.

thanks

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw out Vec.Dyno with A/F.Send list of mods to DC along with graphs and computer.Problems and quirks solved.PIck up HP and TQ throughout the rpm range.Run smoother. GTS Bruce

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car N/A or S/C? If it si N/A, it is about right. Normal is right at 13-13.5. If S/C, you should be at 11.5-12.0.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Verify your f/a accuracy when at part throttle and closed loop operation. It should be very close to 14.7. If not you have a gauge error or a leak in your exhaust upstream of your O2 sensor.