If your car takes forever to start due to fuel pump issues...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made several "Primer Timers" that run the fuel pump for 10 seconds instead of the normal <2 secs when you turn the key to run position. To be worthwhile, I obtained parts to make many, sold to those who said they wanted them, and have two left. $100 each.

Removeable, can adjust the time to longer if you wish, hides out of sight, and for the RT guys, postpones or eliminates cutting the hole in the trunk floor. This is actually an older info sheet; there are additional colored wires identified for other model years.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/186Primer_Timer_instructions.jpg

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/186Primer_Timer_Install_Pics.jpg

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of these boxes and never got it to work on my 96 GTS. Checked the wiring multiple times including with the Wizard. No idea why it didn't work.

I did find out the problem with the fuel draining back into the tank from the fuel rails is not a pump issue. There is a check valve in the fuel regulator that sits on top of the fuel canister that retains the fuel in the lines when you shut the pump off. I changed the regulator and problem was solved.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got one on my '97 GTS and it works as advertised. Took care of the "extended cranking after a hot soak" problem, just turn on the key and let the timer time out before engaging the starter.

Easier and cheaper than replacing a fuel pump module.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair, Shelby3 has some aftermarket fuel system parts that prevented access to the wiring that would normally be used. My recollection is that we couldn't locate the wire outside the trunk area, and I don't know why it didn't work either. Otherwise, success rate is 100% minus one, so perhaps check about buying from him.