If A Paddle Shifting Transmission Was Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are always too kind our dear Juli. I learn heck of alot here more than I babble about. :2tu:

As I learn also...you do not babble, my dear friend!! You are very knowledgeable, more so than most on these forums, I just have to let what you say sink in and absorb~~it's beyond my comprehension, I will admit that!! :headbang: ~juli
(Thank You!)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the first things I started working on after becoming a born-again Christian nearly 4 years ago was to learn meekness and humility. Pride goeth before a fall! Don't assume what you don't know.

Why do all people who profess to be humble and meek tend to do these 4 paragraph dissertations proclaiming how humble and meek they are? I mean, if you're humble and meek... it should show right? :dunno:

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:dunno: Now, I skipped reading a few posts on this thread. Let me get this straight, Christians like paddleshifters and Muslims like sticks ?

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO, I would not buy it. I hate paddles and automatic transmissons.

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do all people who profess to be humble and meek tend to do these 4 paragraph dissertations proclaiming how humble and meek they are? I mean, if you're humble and meek... it should show right? :dunno:

So if a person is a born-again Christian, trying to live a more meek and humble life, it also means that he/she cannot have nor voice an opinion?

Au contraire!

Try dissing me harder - it ain't working so far. ;)

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Goes to show just how much people know about sequential MANUAL gearboxes.

:rolleyes:

You've bought into the marketing bs designed to promote SMG type transmissions. Manual = non-electronic (i.e. you feel the clutch pressure against your foot). EVERYTHING else is an automatic ... auto-stick, SMG, paddle-shifter, blah, blah, blah

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True automatics have torque converters.

Assisted clutch and electro hydraulic actuator activated transmissions are often referred to as semi-automatics, but most of them really are regular non-automatic transmission of one type or another, to which you can give an up or down shifting input. The rest in "done for you", which seems to be the part that the purists dislike. To their credit, they want the full involvement of every aspect of changing gears, and when properly and artfully executed brings understandable joy and pride to the "gear lever operator".

Phil :)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if a person is a born-again Christian, trying to live a more meek and humble life, it also means that he/she cannot have nor voice an opinion?

There's opinion, and there's "Thou dost protest too much".

Let your opinions stand on their own merits. Invoking God on your side of paddle shifters or not is just outright puzzling. No one is keeping you from your opinions. There are pages after pages of proof of that. :rolleyes:

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. God is not gonna help any of us in this argument. There's a fire in California he needs to put out first. :rolleyes:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. God is not gonna help any of us in this argument. There's a fire in California he needs to put out first. :rolleyes:

God doesn't believe in paddle-shifting, he came to me in a vision and wants to see the Viper stay true to it roots: no paddle shifting. Spread the word. :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way I understood what the United Pertoleum instructor said was, "because of CAFE and pollution requirements ALL cars will have to be equipped with CV or double clutch transmissions in the near future."

I take it to mean it's required if we want Chrysler to continue to produce Vipers in the future. So, I'm guessing that this thread is maybe a moot point. It almost sounds as if there's quite a few owners that would no longer buy a Viper if they had to have a double clutch tranny? I don't think so.

Faster is better!

Ted

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way I understood what the United Pertoleum instructor said was, "because of CAFE and pollution requirements ALL cars will have to be equipped with CV or double clutch transmissions in the near future."

I take it to mean it's required if we want Chrysler to continue to produce Vipers in the future. So, I'm guessing that this thread is maybe a moot point. It almost sounds as if there's quite a few owners that would no longer buy a Viper if they had to have a double clutch tranny? I don't think so.

Faster is better!

Ted

The '08 already has the new clutch with a MANUAL clutch pedal and shifter...

more added:

To clarify the confusion, there are NO CAFE requirements which dictate Dodge must make a dramatic change to Viper transmissions for the 2009 model year.

Sorry, I misunderstood the earlier 'double clutch' post asking about [required] changes due to CAFE -- thus, it did not seem to have aplication to the question asked here about being available for 2009 ... so I thought (assumed) it must have referred the new 'twin-disc' that is coming in '08 (although also not required by CAFE).

Further, as I understand (and I could be wrong on this), nothing in CAFE (as currently scheduled) would ever require any such an engineering mandate of this type for ALL vehicles, but rather, Dodge must meet benchmarks for its overall product line -- some of which could include these kinds of changes (and others) to deliver higher efficiency to the overall average.

Attempting to incorporate consideration of future CAFE requirements, probably really confuses this issue all together.

Last edited:

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '08 already has the new clutch with a MANUAL clutch pedal and shifter...

....Ah, the finer points of technology!

Yes the 2008 has a "twin disc clutch" which reduces rotational mass and make for lighter clutch operation and engagement.

The "twin clutch gearbox" is a different proposition altogether.

Think of it of two gearboxes in one housing, where one "box" engages reverse, first, third and fifth, while the other” box" engages second, forth and sixth.

The two sets of clutches will allow to transmission to alternate between the two "gearboxes".

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I have posted many times on this thread, mostly for the benefit of technical elucidation, I never expressed my personal view about the initial question asked:

If A Paddle Shifting Transmission Was Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

Assuming we will be lucky enough to see a 2009 Viper, yes I would buy one if it was offered as an option.

If on the other hand it would not be available, I would quite simply enjoy the vastly improved transmission as we will have it starting on the 2008 and really never, ever lose a minute of sleep over it………

From my perspective the big question is this: do I really want to wait till 2009?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good point! I see that you explained what I meant by "double clutch tranny", thanks.

Actually, I like my old 2001 GTS (except for the ABS) and since it has 720rwhp I plan on keeping it.

What I don't like about the 3rd and 4th Gen is that they look similar to 'vettes. I'd still buy one because they're more aerodynamically eficient, but I don't get much chance to drive over 100mph on the road so ...

Ted

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And in similar fashion, just to be counted as official: NO THANKS (please spend your development time and money elsewhere Dodge).

Last edited:

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is this a joke... there is nothing like a 6 speed and a clutch... forget paddle shifters...

Someone deletes this thread already..

joe

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like them on the F430 and 360! Man the matched down shifts are awesome! But on a Viper I don't think it would work right. The engine does not rev like an 430. Our Vipers are more torque monsters than high reving small engined sports cars. Saying that I love the feel of the F430! But on a Viper an F1 trans will not work with a big V-10

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed. The viper is not a "high tech" sports car. Paddle shifters would be out of place.

Keep the 6-sp, it works fine. The viper is a Driver's car. Not a car for the masses.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE ACR! Rough, Raw and Respected.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to reserve judgement until I drive one. I agree, it is a bit odd to think of in the Viper but I will not diss it until I have driven it. As stated prior, I like the idea of different options being available.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to bring this back from the dead but did anyone see where Porsche got sued for not have TC on the Carrera GT in a fatal track accident. I dont know where the link is but it's somewhere.

THESE are the people that need TC in a 600 hp Viper, not me.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to bring this back from the dead but did anyone see where Porsche got sued for not have TC on the Carrera GT in a fatal track accident. I dont know where the link is but it's somewhere.

Well then we should put 60mph speed limiters on all cars, and put breathalyzer starters and a full autopilot. :rolleyes:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Toyota Supra TT crashed out twice due to TC in slippery conditions. Since then I hate TC and vowed never to buy a car with one and if I have no choice, then to disable it permanently.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Toyota Supra TT crashed out twice due to TC in slippery conditions. Since then I hate TC and vowed never to buy a car with one and if I have no choice, then to disable it permanently.

I personally turn OFF the traction control, have found it more cumbersome than helpful.
This is a paddle-shifting thread...and I DO find the paddle shifters in my new Vette VERY VERY QUICK and FASSSSTTTT...BUT with a bit of a 'lag' when shifting...totally NOT comparing to the Viper at ALL, in no way shape or form, I never would do that....totally 2 different vehicles for sure!! Fun all the same....juli

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Porsche driver got nailed with 49% responsibility and Porsche got 8% and Porsche shouldn't have even gotten that. TC would have been no more useful or life-saving than the ABS was that it was equiped with. ABS, how ironic.

The evidence keeps mounting that if you're going fast enough to kill yourself electronic nannies aint gonna save you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets