If A Paddle Shifting Transmission Was Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: With A Paddle Shifting Transmission Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

Why not let the market decide?
If the choice was no Viper or one with a paddle shifter option which would you chose? If the Viper was faster with paddle shifters then i might buy one. If a paddle shifted option was slower in lap times or in 1/4 mile et it would die quickly I believe. It would also have to be much more launch friendly and a quicker shifting unit than the f-430 currently uses.
\ Dodge should to do tons of market research before they try something like that. I believe it should be an option because it may be faster and make a better marketing case to keep the Viper around longer for all of us to enjoy in one form or another. I believe like it or not there will be more upscale options in the future as they provide a greater percentage of profit.
Remember we now have a private company ownership which needs to make money on these cars.

eagles

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You don't get "Viper". It's an attitude. No frills, no assist, just driver and raw power.

Please buy a Vette and enjoy 'till your heart's content.

ABS isnt an assist? So the models since ABS was added dont have the attitude? Face it, you'll get over the TC just like you did the ABS. There is only so much power they are going to be able to add to keep the knuckleheads (I meant purists) from killing themselves. TC is coming, and you're gonna have to deal with it.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always liked the idea but not sure if it would work in a Viper. Would any of you order the car with the paddle shifting transmission? I can tell you this, I can not wait to see one in person and drive it.

IMO, they've been trnasforming the Viper to a VipVette since 03. They always said no cup holders or ABS or power seats or A/T. Yep that'll be next then the paddles. OHH, that's right wasn't GM going to buy Chrysler??:confused: :rolaugh:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why not let the market decide?
If the choice was no Viper or one with a paddle shifter option which would you chose? If the Viper was faster with paddle shifters then i might buy one. If a paddle shifted option was slower in lap times or in 1/4 mile et it would die quickly I believe. It would also have to be much more launch friendly and a quicker shifting unit than the f-430 currently uses.
\ Dodge should to do tons of market research before they try something like that. I believe it should be an option because it may be faster and make a better marketing case to keep the Viper around longer for all of us to enjoy in one form or another. I believe like it or not there will be more upscale options in the future as they provide a greater percentage of profit.
Remember we now have a private company ownership which needs to make money on these cars.

eagles
market research is what created the vette. Dodge took the leadership role and created a car for a niche market that has spurned a cult following. U want a car by committee? Buy the other V car.

Innovation means doing something no one expected, yet realized that's what they wanted all along after seeing your vision.

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ABS isnt an assist? So the models since ABS was added dont have the attitude? Face it, you'll get over the TC just like you did the ABS. There is only so much power they are going to be able to add to keep the knuckleheads (I meant purists) from killing themselves. TC is coming, and you're gonna have to deal with it.

Oh... it IS coming. But in the order by law, and you can forget about it being defeatable. The government isn't in the game of giving you options on whether you want to follow their laws. That's why the Vipers of today will be worth a ton in the future, and why we MUST keep it pure for as long as we can.

For now... that's what makes it a Viper, dammit. When every car built is mandated to have TC by law, the crybabies like you will demand automatic pilots, magnetic collision repellers, anti-flip pop-out side bars, insta-foam airbag replacements, and 5 cupholders. It's a slippery slope. Just cut to the chase and wear diapers now... incontinence is coming too you know? Might as well deal with it now. :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes ABS is an assist and many Viper purists werent'/aren't crazy about that either.

And it isn't the purists that are the "knuckleheads killing themselves." The purists are the ones that respect and understand the car and it's limits. The knuckleheads are the ones that slam on the pedals and expect the car to drive for them.

You haven't been around here long.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, they've been trnasforming the Viper to a VipVette since 03. They always said no cup holders or ABS or power seats or A/T. Yep that'll be next then the paddles. OHH, that's right wasn't GM going to buy Chrysler??:confused: :rolaugh:

True, which is why I've been hanging onto my GenIIs.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I should buy a Harley, then order all the parts from Honda to make it quieter, quicker and cuter....hmmmm
And maybe I should buy a Viper and order paddle shifts from the Lambo company, order cruise control from the Vette suppliers, and order traction control from the Porsche people...
Nahh...I think I should just go get a Honda motorcycle and a Vette and be done w/ the whole thing.....

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh... it IS coming. But in the order by law, and you can forget about it being defeatable. The government isn't in the game of giving you options on whether you want to follow their laws. That's why the Vipers of today will be worth a ton in the future, and why we MUST keep it pure for as long as we can.

For now... that's what makes it a Viper, dammit. When every car built is mandated to have TC by law, the crybabies like you will demand automatic pilots, magnetic collision repellers, anti-flip pop-out side bars, insta-foam airbag replacements, and 5 cupholders. It's a slippery slope. Just cut to the chase and wear diapers now... incontinence is coming too you know? Might as well deal with it now. :rolleyes:

Worth a ton??? I doubt it, by the time that could happen, gasonline cars will be a thing of the past. Keep on poilishing that investment.

No, what makes a Viper is a V10, muscle car that handles well, has monstrous torque, low center of gravity, great braking, rock solid parts and great looks. It will still be a viper with ABS and TC and Navigation and auto if they put it on there. You have several options of Vipers with nothing on them you can buy, so stick with those.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, what makes a Viper is a V10, muscle car that handles well, has monstrous torque, low center of gravity, great braking, rock solid parts and great looks. It will still be a viper with ABS and TC and Navigation and auto if they put it on there. You have several options of Vipers with nothing on them you can buy, so stick with those.

You forgot "attitude" and "different" and "bare bones" and "raw" and "driver's car".

Please stay with GM. You are their poster child.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You forgot "attitude" and "different" and "bare bones" and "raw" and "driver's car".

Please stay with GM. You are their poster child.

Attitude has nothing to do with TC

Neither does different, the looks say that by themselves

The interior says barebones, the lack of interior space and cargo space says bare bones.

The calf burning side exhausts saw raw (skin)

Drivers car? HAHAHHAHAHA that is a joke.

While were at it lets just get rid of power steering, power windows, AC, hydraulic clutch assist, radio, all gauges, ABS, round wheels, motor etc and just go back to the flinstone age.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Worth a ton??? I doubt it, by the time that could happen, gasonline cars will be a thing of the past. Keep on poilishing that investment.

Sounds like a Vette to me sans the V10. :rolleyes:

There are those who will NEVER get it. You can have TC NOW on your Viper. Go get it installed and quit wasting our time.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like a Vette to me sans the V10. :rolleyes:

There are those who will NEVER get it. You can have TC NOW on your Viper. Go get it installed and quit wasting our time.

Rock solid parts = corvette?????

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How ironic you said that. My brother and I have a bet going on if the Viper will be turned into a mass production Vette type vehicle.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How ironic you said that. My brother and I have a bet going on if the Viper will be turned into a mass production Vette type vehicle.

:omg: :omg: :omg: And, YOU, Keith are betting that it will NOT BE, correct?!! :D :D :drive:
(Leave the Viper be...tho I AM intrigued with paddle shifters...would love to try it!)
~juli

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping that it wont be but you never know as companies are in the business to make money. I really really hope that this never happens but I can not be sure to say it wont.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have paddle shifters on my Bentley GT, I hate them. I never use them. I use the stick instead when I want to play.
The day they put paddle shifters in NASCAR the world has gone to sh*t!
NEVER NEVER put paddles shifters in a Viper!

Thats like braces on Ms America, a Harley from China, or veggie hotdogs at a Yankees game!! Some things you just dont do.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have paddle shifters on my Bentley GT, I hate them. I never use them. I use the stick instead when I want to play.
Thats like braces on Ms America, a Harley from China, or veggie hotdogs at a Yankees game!! Some things you just dont do.

Oh, gotcha...hadn't heard from someone who had them in their vehicle--I say if you don't like them, I would not either, Keith....(LOVE your Bentley though...gorgeous!) ~juli

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

let me just say this. Every car I have had with paddle shifters has sucked. Does hold a gear,car decides if it will let you downshift etc. If it is anything like I have driven they can keep it.

I agree. But I guess it depends on how well it is designed and who makes it. I hear the Ferrari ones work real nice. My friend has a 06 C6 and when he trises to use it racing us, it doesnt always shift right and it hits rev limiter. Probably doesnt help that he has a SC on it, but it seems to run harder in full auto mode.
I wouldnt want paddle shifters, because a stick shift works better for me.:drive:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bentleys, F1, and Vipers... what do they all have in common? NOTHING... save the 4 wheels.

Why you would stick paddles on a Viper to appear more like the other two is beyond me. :dunno:

Paddles are for wimps that really want an automatic, but too chicken to admit they can't drive a stick well. :buttkick:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bentleys, F1, and Vipers... what do they all have in common? NOTHING... save the 4 wheels.
Why you would stick paddles on a Viper to appear more like the other two is beyond me. :dunno:
Paddles are for wimps that really want an automatic, but too chicken to admit they can't drive a stick well. :buttkick:

You must be registered for see images
Who ya calling a wimp??? :catfight: (I only want to TRY the paddle shifters, something unique, different, haven't done it, yadayadayada...) ~juli

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who ya calling a wimp??? :catfight: (I only want to TRY the paddle shifters, something unique, different, haven't done it, yadayadayada...) ~juli

I'd like to try them as well... even on a Viper. I just don't want SRT to waste any time and effort playing with it.

BTW- you're not a wimp... just "delicate" :D :bolt:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to try them as well... even on a Viper. I just don't want SRT to waste any time and effort playing with it.
BTW- you're not a wimp... just "delicate" :D :bolt:

I will take that as intended--a compliment:flowers:...teeheeeeeeeeeeeee....oh yeah, I just want to TRY them, not necessarily on a BEAST/Viper!!!!~~ Let me take one 'o them there paddle-shifting-Corvettes out~~~~~! :omg: ;) :eater: :eater: ~juli~

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the first time all ya'll wreck reaching for the stick on the center console when oops, they're these little paddle thingies behind the wheel now, will you conclude it was a fun test?

Just doesn't seem like you could put much emotion into spanking the paddles with your fingertips. Grab the knob on the stick and it feels like a man's car.

Or for Juli, a delicate man's car.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the first time all ya'll wreck reaching for the stick on the center console when oops, they're these little paddle thingies behind the wheel now, will you conclude it was a fun test?
Just doesn't seem like you could put much emotion into spanking the paddles with your fingertips. Grab the knob on the stick and it feels like a man's car.
Or for Juli, a delicate man's car.

I JUST want to TRY it once!~! I'll be delicate about it! :eater: ~~juli