If A Paddle Shifting Transmission Was Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, gotcha...hadn't heard from someone who had them in their vehicle--I say if you don't like them, I would not either, Keith....(LOVE your Bentley though...gorgeous!) ~juli
Thanks Mike and Julie! Yeah, the Bentley is getting some serious use now that my Fangs are out of commission. Chuck says it will be mid September b4 I am back in action, at the earliest. :(

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mike and Julie! Yeah, the Bentley is getting some serious use now that my Fangs are out of commission. Chuck says it will be mid September b4 I am back in action, at the earliest. :(

ah man.....that IS a bummer, Keith and Crystal...:( . But, on the HAPPY side, you DO have that beaut of the Bentley~~paddle shifters or not! (Keep us posted, and hey, at least your Viper is in good hands~! :2tu: ) ~juli

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: With A Paddle Shifting Transmission Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

As an answer to the original question, no. Some cars I would never want an automatic version of (paddle shifters are just a glorified automatic transmission)...A Viper is one of them!

WHAT CHAD SAID!!!!!!!!!:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change has always been met with defiance; it's just human nature.

I think that if it were offered as an "option", many here who say "no way" would eventually be saying, "Hmmm, well . . . maybe" within a couple of years after the introduction.

It was the very same thing with Ferrari many years ago. Di-hard SF owners screamed against the idea, but Ferrari gave them a deaf ear and pushed forward. Today, those same long time owners love their Semi-Auto paddle shift Ferrari's and the sales of manual transmission models pale in comparison.

I would love to see paddles as an option, especially if they could master the technology as well as the DSG from Borg Warner / Volkwagen.

Semi-auto transmissions today are getting so good that there are "no-lift" shifts without loss of revs and extremely fast and smooth through upshifting. In the racing environment, this is a paramount advantage.

Automotive Article - in part:
Even with its quirks, the DSG rules– to the point where the clutch pedal and traditional manual gearbox is a mechanical redundancy, a dead device shifting. In fact, any car manufacturer who doesn't have a DSG or something similar installed in their performance-oriented products will soon be at a tremendous disadvantage.

. . . stickshifters– a self-selecting community of motorists who cherish the skill and pleasure that only a manual transmission can provide– consider autoboxers less competent, safe and passionate. Many of these tripedalists will not take kindly to the DSG; it's a bridge from the know-nothing rabble to the self-proclaimed automotive elite. The barbarians are at the shift gate; The Volkswagen Group has unlocked the door.

It will be some time before this issue plays out, but the stickshifters will lose. Once they get behind the wheel of a DSG-equipped machine like the new Audi A3 or the VW R32, even the hardiest of these manual transmission diehards will understand the system's clear superiority; in terms of speed, safety and, most importantly of all, enjoyment. Eventually, the tide will turn. Automakers will be forced to buy 'dual clutch transmission' technology from BorgWarner or their partner Getrag, or develop something at least as good. Of course, there will still be enthusiasts who stick with the stick, for personal pride and sensual satisfaction. In the meantime, a quick message from Paddle Shifters Anonymous to open-minded automotive enthusiasts: get ready for some serious fun.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change has always been met with defiance; it's just human nature.

I think that if it were offered as an "option", many here who say "no way" would eventually be saying, "Hmmm, well . . . maybe" within a couple of years after the introduction.

It was the very same thing with Ferrari many years ago. Di-hard SF owners screamed against the idea, but Ferrari gave them a deaf ear and pushed forward. Today, those same long time owners love their Semi-Auto paddle shift Ferrari's and the sales of manual transmission models pale in comparison.

I would love to see paddles as an option, especially if they could master the technology as well as the DSG from Borg Warner / Volkwagen.

Semi-auto transmissions today are getting so good that there are "no-lift" shifts without loss of revs and extremely fast and smooth through upshifting. In the racing environment, this is a paramount advantage.

Automotive Article - in part:
Even with its quirks, the DSG rules– to the point where the clutch pedal and traditional manual gearbox is a mechanical redundancy, a dead device shifting. In fact, any car manufacturer who doesn't have a DSG or something similar installed in their performance-oriented products will soon be at a tremendous disadvantage.

. . . stickshifters– a self-selecting community of motorists who cherish the skill and pleasure that only a manual transmission can provide– consider autoboxers less competent, safe and passionate. Many of these tripedalists will not take kindly to the DSG; it's a bridge from the know-nothing rabble to the self-proclaimed automotive elite. The barbarians are at the shift gate; The Volkswagen Group has unlocked the door.

It will be some time before this issue plays out, but the stickshifters will lose. Once they get behind the wheel of a DSG-equipped machine like the new Audi A3 or the VW R32, even the hardiest of these manual transmission diehards will understand the system's clear superiority; in terms of speed, safety and, most importantly of all, enjoyment. Eventually, the tide will turn. Automakers will be forced to buy 'dual clutch transmission' technology from BorgWarner or their partner Getrag, or develop something at least as good. Of course, there will still be enthusiasts who stick with the stick, for personal pride and sensual satisfaction. In the meantime, a quick message from Paddle Shifters Anonymous to open-minded automotive enthusiasts: get ready for some serious fun.

Again... another poorly thought out argument, and a lack of understanding of what the Viper is all about. At the root of Ferarri's creation was winning with technology. Not necessarily with gizmos (like vettes) but the latest in what modern engineering techniques can offer. Evolving to lighter materials and newer ways of helping a driver do better is a natural progression for Ferarri. This MO comes with a VERY high sticker price, and a high-precision, but delicate car that doesn't stand to much extended abuse.

The Viper, on the other hand, was created with RETRO in mind... in looks, in its simplicity and in its engineering. It doesn't do a thing to help you (ABS not withstanding). You MUST tame it, or it will turn on you. This is why the car is so bulletproof. It must be driven hard repeatedly before you can master it. Try that on any Ferarri long term and compare the maintenance/repair bills.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might as well add a back seat and tow hitch, that'll expand market share too.

-J

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I want more power. :D

Put an SC or TT on a Vette. Pound for pound, the Vette is every bit as powerful as a Viper. Maybe not the case 5 years ago, but defnately is now.

Performance-wise, the two will compete with one pulling ahead of the other occasionally. The difference is the Viper is raw, the Vette is a medium well. If you like you meat cooked, get a Vette.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper IS A RAW BEAST....it should stay that way...that's how it started, that's how it should be...period. I was only surmising about HOW the paddle shifters would work, and certainly it's a *new* thing for me, so I'd try them...but no, not in a Viper...that should stay the RAW BEAST it is!~! ~juli

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: With A Paddle Shifting Transmission Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

a ball washer great how 'bout something to polish you putter also? Oh yeah that's part of the reason we buy these cars they attract ball washers and putter polishers

lol...all the guy did was ask a question...lol but I agree....Let the Vette be a Vette and a Viper remain a Viper...Onless Dodge is starts trying to market the car to the masses I dont see this option happening...Sometimes things are much better raw:D

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put an SC or TT on a Vette. Pound for pound, the Vette is every bit as powerful as a Viper. Maybe not the case 5 years ago, but defnately is now.

Performance-wise, the two will compete with one pulling ahead of the other occasionally. The difference is the Viper is raw, the Vette is a medium well. If you like you meat cooked, get a Vette.

That is a great analogy.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What next, a 6-speed automatic? :dunno:

I have only driven one paddle shift car in the past, and it was neat for a while, but it was more a novelty than anything else. I have nothing AGAINST the idea of paddle shifters, but I think they don't fit the Viper market.

More importantly, if they introduced paddle-shifter they would almost have to introduce stability management and traction control. Why? Because these three things are "filters" put in place for those who really ought not be driving such a powerful car.

To me, the torque and power of these RWD serpents is best experienced and best handled by direct control through the current 6-speed manual. If we went and added all that other crap, the cars wouldn't be cool anymore. The mags would start calling the Viper a creampuff or "in a late development to the game, Dodge has begun introducing options to the popular Viper platform to make it more directly comparable to Chevy's venerable Corvette"...... and that is the LAST thing I want to see happen to the brand.

Leave the so-called "refinement" for the new V8 platform Dodge was toying with to compete with the Corvette.

(one exception in my mind.... I DO like nav systems... though I prefer aftermarket models and the pop-out style to the fixed dash factory style)

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The buyers already decided.
Want paddles - buy a Vette.
Want stick - buy a Viper.

I'm not talking about a torque convertor paddle shifter vs a stick shift..but rather a dual clutch sequential shifter...

Thats just the faster way around the track and no torque convertor soup to dilute the experience or the performance.

Consistant and faster both up shifting and downshifting.

Check it out if you get a chance.

Chrysler will bring it online around 2010.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not talking about a torque convertor paddle shifter vs a stick shift..but rather a dual clutch sequential shifter...

Thats just the faster way around the track and no torque convertor soup to dilute the experience or the performance.

Consistant and faster both up shifting and downshifting.

Check it out if you get a chance.

Chrysler will bring it online around 2010.

LOL What's with you Vette guys coming over here trying to make the Viper like a Vette? It's already an unfair fight and you wanna make our Vipers even faster by putting paddles in them?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL What's with you Vette guys coming over here trying to make the Viper like a Vette? It's already an unfair fight and you wanna make our Vipers even faster by putting paddles in them?

What are you talking about man??? Unfair fight? If you do as much racing/driving as you "appear" to do then you'd know that at these power levels its a drivers race. Yet you are still a mag racer?? I dont get it.:dunno: And what's worse is that even in your mag racing you cant comprehend that the results arent far enough in favor of the Viper to make a big difference. Change tires on the vette to equal tires and you have a legit drivers race, and what's the most common mod at track days TIRES!!!!!!!

I would expect more from someone who claims to track their car, or are you just posing?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you talking about man??? Unfair fight? If you do as much racing/driving as you "appear" to do then you'd know that at these power levels its a drivers race. Yet you are still a mag racer?? I dont get it.:dunno: And what's worse is that even in your mag racing you cant comprehend that the results arent far enough in favor of the Viper to make a big difference. Change tires on the vette to equal tires and you have a legit drivers race, and what's the most common mod at track days TIRES!!!!!!!

I would expect more from someone who claims to track their car, or are you just posing?

Hey, I'm just going by the SCCA rules that add weight and choke the throttle bodies on the Viper so the Vette can compete. If that isn't the case, take it up with the SCCA.

BTW SCCA is the Sports Car Club of America is the oldest car club in the country and sanctions many pro and amature races. I didn't figure you'd know about them so I figured I'd help you out before you made a fool of yourself again.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I'm just going by the SCCA rules that add weight and choke the throttle bodies on the Viper so the Vette can compete. If that isn't the case, take it up with the SCCA.

BTW SCCA is the Sports Car Club of America is the oldest car club in the country and sanctions many pro and amature races. I didn't figure you'd know about them so I figured I'd help you out before you made a fool of yourself again.

LOL, you are kidding right? SCCA sanctions many different types of racing, so answer to me which class of racing you are talking about, then ask yourself, how close are the cars to stock and how many corvette's are acutally Z06's and not just C6's. Then ask yourself why you are comparing the two, race cars and street cars are two different things. I would agree that a Viper could make a better race car, look at the motors, it shouldnt be too hard to figure that out, the V10 has much more potential. You are skimming over the issues so before you go making yourself look stupid again at least put some thought in your post.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, you are kidding right? SCCA sanctions many different types of racing, so answer to me which class of racing you are talking about, then ask yourself, how close are the cars to stock and how many corvette's are acutally Z06's and not just C6's.

If you followed racing you'd know what classes I'm talking about.

We have already determined you've had your driver's license about a year and are not very bright when it comes to racing and cars in general, so I am no longer gonna waste any more time with you.

Adios and enjoy your prom.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well here's an option for you paddle proponents....I know of one Viper tuner who has installed at least one...
http://www.mastershift.com/manual_street.html

VERY interesting reading...but gotta be 'hands-on' with that to learn it...and I really never wanted the paddle shifters in the Viper, just wanted to try out paddle shifters...I believe the Viper should stay the RAW BEAST that it is!!!! Let's not change it too much...compare GenI, GenII and GenIII's....we don't need more!! Thanx for posting that, that was very interesting reading!!! ~juli

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you followed racing you'd know what classes I'm talking about.

We have already determined you've had your driver's license about a year and are not very bright when it comes to racing and cars in general, so I am no longer gonna waste any more time with you.

Adios and enjoy your prom.

17 years old huh?? Rather imature of you to just assume someone you dont agree with is a little child when you are the ones pouting about people "trying to change your car"

Like I said, we can meet on any track at any time and you will likely find me at your track before you know, but not to find you, though I'll wave as I go by.

cya at the track :drive:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
17 years old huh?? Rather imature of you to just assume someone you dont agree with is a little child when you are the ones pouting about people "trying to change your car"

Like I said, we can meet on any track at any time and you will likely find me at your track before you know, but not to find you, though I'll wave as I go by.

cya at the track :drive:
So who won?:lmao:

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Raysir (and many of the other posters) the Viper is in danger of becoming a Vette. My first Viper was an Red 1994 RT-10. My choices on options and colors went like this - Red, Black (Maybe Yellow) - New or Used. Period. I was lucky enough to get one of the cars that actually came with air-conditioning! My car leaked, shook, rattled, and overheated. It was completely unrefined..... but it was balls to the wall... PURE POWER. I love my '06 SRT BUT, I'd have to say my '94 RT-10 was more "Viper." Let's not water it down any further. As hot as the '08 looks there are too many colors & options. Period.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4