If A Paddle Shifting Transmission Was Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always liked the idea but not sure if it would work in a Viper. Would any of you order the car with the paddle shifting transmission? I can tell you this, I can not wait to see one in person and drive it.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: With A Paddle Shifting Transmission Available In 2009, Anyone Buying One?

I always liked the idea but not sure if it would work in a Viper. Would any of you order the car with the paddle shifting transmission? I can tell you this, I can not wait to see one in person and drive it.

let me just say this. Every car I have had with paddle shifters has sucked. Does hold a gear,car decides if it will let you downshift etc. If it is anything like I have driven they can keep it.

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I must have missed the info saying that paddles would be available in '09.

If a proper paddle system was made available, then I'd definitely be interested.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mid 2009 they will also have the ball washer. Great combo with the paddle shifter option.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

a ball washer great how 'bout something to polish you putter also? Oh yeah that's part of the reason we buy these cars they attract ball washers and putter polishers

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As an answer to the original question, no. Some cars I would never want an automatic version of (paddle shifters are just a glorified automatic transmission)...A Viper is one of them!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like Chuck said it wouldn't be a Viper if it had paddles. The viper has always been a bare bones drivers car. It is the Viper's Nich.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont see anything wrong with it being an optional feature, even though its not for me

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

a ball washer great how 'bout something to polish you putter also? Oh yeah that's part of the reason we buy these cars they attract ball washers and putter polishers

We'll see if they attract paddle shifters too. I'm with the 2 before me - NO PADDLE SHIFTERS! :crazy2: :nono: :(

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess sooner or later they'll invent 'auto-pilot' to drive vehicles for us completely.

As far as the Viper is concerned, No Thanks to Traction Control, Stability Control, GPS/Nav, and Electronic Shifting of any kind. I can't even stand the Skip-Shift!!:censored: :aargh: :nono:

IMO of course.:D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont see anything wrong with it being an optional feature, even though its not for me

How many times do we need to go over this? There's nothing "OPTIONAL" about a feature. The R&D money that goes into it gets passed down to everyone's checkbook, whether they decide to have it or not. Also, the TIME in R&D can go into better places. YOU want paddle shifters? Pay someone to install it for you... just like an automatic transmission.... just like twin turbos. You have every right to and will be heralded as a hero from those who want the same.

The day Dodge starts looking at every option to pacify every little desire of a small number of people, is the day it should scrap the Viper, because it will NEVER beat the Vette in that game.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We should have this permanently posted on top of every page on this website:

Herb Helbig, is the “Grailkeeper“. His official title is Manager of Vehicle Synthesis. In other words, he is keeping the Viper, as it evolves through the course of its life, true to the original set of parameters.

From Herb himself:

We’ve got to keep it simple, we’ve got to make it fun, its got to be the most outrageous car you’ve ever touched. When you turn the key on, the hair on the back of your neck has got to stand up. It’s got to be a visceral, emotional, almost religious experience. It falls to me to make sure that we don’t lose sight of why we started this program. It’s all about fun, passion, and the desire just to put people back on their heels to say “I can’t believe these guys made such an outrageous, awesome, off-the-scale car”. It’s a challenge to mature it, to grow the car up a little, yet not lose its essence. When people come to me and say “you know it really needs cruise control; I took one to Chicago and my right foot got kinda tired…” that guy gets thrown out of my office. Or a guy comes in and says “you know, it would be cool if we had power seats’ that guy gets thrown out of the building. And the guy who says “I think we need an automatic transmission” well, they’re still looking for his body.

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The viper has always been a bare bones drivers car.

If so, should they drop the power steering, power brakes, insulation, a/c, and radio? What about going back to bias-ply tires? Where do you draw the line? (Rhetorical questions)

To me, progress is a good thing. I honestly believe a paddle shifter car will be quicker around a racetrack for a large percentage of drivers. And, since I read on this board that most everyone values a car that is quick around a racetrack, it makes sense to offer paddle shifters.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would rather heel and toe with a traditional H-patterned manual transmission.

/Rich

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If so, should they drop the power steering, power brakes, insulation, a/c, and radio? What about going back to bias-ply tires? Where do you draw the line? (Rhetorical questions)

To me, progress is a good thing. I honestly believe a paddle shifter car will be quicker around a racetrack for a large percentage of drivers. And, since I read on this board that most everyone values a car that is quick around a racetrack, it makes sense to offer paddle shifters.

Well, kiss my grits. I'll take my next Viper Flintstones style. Yup, leave out that hot floor board and give me 20 pairs of Mexican made sandals. :tx:

Where the leather meets the road, we'll all be drinking snake oil and driving Vipers with hand crank windows.

It's the heat. Take me now. :ban:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a misleading argument the nannytechers make all the time. Granted, the Gen 1 went without a lot of amenities, as did the ACRs, but the Viper is not about HELPING you get better times on the racetrack. It there to for you show it what you got. If you aint got it, practice practice practice. The car will always have more than what you can give it. Don't go crying to mama for TC and paddles. :rolleyes:

Unless we carve the body out of balsa wood, and make brake lines out of treevines, there will always be some form of technology that will go into a Viper. Those technologies should be PASSIVE... and not alter basic driving fundamentals and skillsets (like paddles... might as well get an automatic). There will be some exceptions to the rules, but as someone else said more eloquently than I did... the Viper is the most purist performance car FOR IT'S TIME. As in, not many other cars depend on the driver's ability alone to squeeze out every ounce of performance.

Maybe in the distant future, when cars drive by themselves and hover Jetsons style, The Viper then will have paddles and traction control... and the people will be amazed at how "throw-back" it is.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a misleading argument the nannytechers make all the time. Granted, the Gen 1 went without a lot of amenities, as did the ACRs, but the Viper is not about HELPING you get better times on the racetrack. It there to for you show it what you got. If you aint got it, practice practice practice. The car will always have more than what you can give it. Don't go crying to mama for TC and paddles. :rolleyes:

Unless we carve the body out of balsa wood, and make brake lines out of treevines, there will always be some form of technology that will go into a Viper. Those technologies should be PASSIVE... and not alter basic driving fundamentals and skillsets (like paddles... might as well get an automatic). There will be some exceptions to the rules, but as someone else said more eloquently than I did... the Viper is the most purist performance car FOR IT'S TIME. As in, not many other cars depend on the driver's ability alone to squeeze out every ounce of performance.

Maybe in the distant future, when cars drive by themselves and hover Jetsons style, The Viper then will have paddles and traction control... and the people will be amazed at how "throw-back" it is.

He said what I said. But like 10 kajillion times better. :beer:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A Viper wouldn't be a Viper with paddles.

Actually it would, I doubt the name is changed for paddles.

However, unless it's a dual clutch unit like what you see in the SMG from BMW or Audi it will ****, and will NEVER be faster than a good driver in a stick. Auto is definitely a violation of what this car stands for. Enough is enough with the TC (see navigation thread), but auto is an insult and paddle shifters is a fancy way of saying automatic these days. I dont think the one that goes into the viper will have been devloped enough to be the right one and if it was, I still wouldnt like it.

Last edited:

murfman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paddles and a Sequential Dual Clutch trans sounds interesting, and a possibliity, as Chrysler is building/revamping a plant in Indiana to build The Dual Clutch trans. Putting it in the "Halo" Viper would help the Image of the "New" technology.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

However, unless it's a dual clutch unit like what you see in the SMG from BMW or Audi it will ****, and will NEVER be faster than a good driver in a stick. Auto is definitely a violation of what this car stands for. Enough is enough with the TC (see navigation thread), but auto is an insult and paddle shifters is a fancy way of saying automatic these days. I dont think the one that goes into the viper will have been devloped enough to be the right one and if it was, I still wouldnt like it.

Where not talking about changing the name. I can slap a Viper badge on my 3/4 ton truck and call it a viper. Where saying what makes a Viper a Viper is that it is a bare bones drivers car for it's time.:drive:

Hell I can't think of a sports car that doesn't have traction control at least as an option. (Even the Lotus Elise offers it as an option) After that name the cars that don't have an automatic transmission as an option. (Very few come to mind)

Hell just naming a car that costs over 50k that doesn't have power seats, power top, and other hosts of amenities would be a hard task.

The Viper SRT-10 is a bare bones car for its day. It is focused on performance above all and is an absolute driver’s car. When your in a viper it's just you and the car no nanny tech traction control system, no 4wd, no paddle shifter, just you and the Viper. And that's how it should stay.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Somewhere, someplace, in one of the posts, was said to buy a Corvette for the electronic car. Remember our roots fellows. You drive, car follows.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You don't get "Viper". It's an attitude. No frills, no assist, just driver and raw power.

Please buy a Vette and enjoy 'till your heart's content.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rhetorical or not...

you draw the line where the electronic nanny replaces skill.

ABS for example, there is no braking skill required to just lay on the brakes as hard as possible.

TC - stomp on the gas and let the nanny figure out how much is needed.

Paddle shifters - you might as well cut your left leg off to save weight.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You don't get "Viper". It's an attitude. No frills, no assist, just driver and raw power.

Please buy a Vette and enjoy 'till your heart's content.

You see... that's the problem. They want the attitude and the glory associated with owning a Viper, but don't want to put in the work. They don't want a Vette because they'd be classed with the bald fat guys and the secretaries.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The traction control and stability control will become a non-issue. Big brother will be mandating these in the near future on all cars. Lets just hope they are 100% defeatable. To argue against them at this point is fruitless.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As an answer to the original question, no. Some cars I would never want an automatic version of (paddle shifters are just a glorified automatic transmission)...A Viper is one of them!

haha. I agree that I never thought a Viper would have paddles but I am very interested to see how the car would drive. Being in Ferrari's and Lambo's a lot, I would love to see what the Viper system would be like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh