Welder Recommendations?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been taking some welding classes at my local vocational school as I'd like to do some minor welding from time to time. Looking for recommendations on a welder for light chores such as welding exhaust pipe connections and maybe some sheet metal welding. Any recommendations for a newbie?

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but I'm looking for something a little less expensive than the $700 Lincoln electric welders he's authorized to sell. Maybe a cheapie Sears or Harbor Freight model.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would buy Sears before Harbor Freight. Just make sure they have a return policy if you don't like it. Other than that, I'm not terribly familiar with the inexpensive units. Miller is what I use.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welders and cheap are 2 words that do not go together. As far as I am concerned Miller is the best with Lincoln in second place. Stay away from the 110 volt units as they are not suitable for frame welding.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welders and cheap are 2 words that do not go together. As far as I am concerned Miller is the best with Lincoln in second place. Stay away from the 110 volt units as they are not suitable for frame welding.

Agreed, 110 volt welders are good for only 3/16" thick, but do a good job within their parameters. Frame work will require a bigger welder, 220 volt single phase input and a minimum of 175 amps output. A Miller 250 is a good machine and you could add a spool gun for aluminum mig welding if you desire. Locate a good welding supply store in your area and talk to someoone there that knows products and applications. PM me if you need further info. I have spent nearly 30 years in the industry and have factory training from all the major manufacturers.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend you pay the premium and get the better welder. Particularly because you mention light gauge material. A stitch option on a MIG welder would be of great benefit. I've used Miller, Lincoln and Hobart for years. 15 years ago the Hobart Handler was the best 110v unit, the drives were metal and solid like my larger Miller units. These days the Hobart line has been down graded to an economy line. You may want to consider a Hobart unit that is set up for flux core initially with the abillity to go gas later ex..(new liner, tips, regulator, hose and tank). Buying from Harbor Freight gives you zero service and future support that you would get from a welding supply like AirGas.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the answer depends on how much welding you plan on doing. I did some extensive research on this and decided that I was going to purchase something that would allow me to do most everything I was initially looking for the unit to be capable of doing. I was also not interested in rewiring my garage to handle 230V. If I continue to build on my welding experience, I will upgrade, but for now, the light projects I have been tackling, I have had no problems with my Hobart Handler 140.

I just did not want to spend a couple thousand dollars for a piece of equipment I was only going to use a couple of times a month.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did not want to spend a couple thousand dollars for a piece of equipment I was only going to use a couple of times a month.

That's where I stand as well. Right now I just have some light duty welding to do on the exhaust and a couple of projects I want to experiment with. Depending on how that goes it may lead to more welding down the road. I have no problems running a 230V circuit to the garage. I'll take a look at Hobart, Miller and Lincoln. Thanks for feedback guys!

- Tony

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used and abused a lincoln weld pak 100 for almost 10 yrs...the things just keeps working. It was around $300.00 back then..now around $400.00 I think. The gas kit is around $50.00 more.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you've got the time, learn TIG. Not to mention, get good enough and its a good side income for small jobs.

Lincoln Precision TIG 185/225 is a GREAT start, and likely good enough to keep permanently. Can be had for 1400-1800 depending on model/condition, and EASILY sellable for the same if you decide.

Much more versatility and capability, cleaner welds, no spatter all over the place, etc. Capability to weld Steel, Stainless, Aluminum, Magnesium, copper, titanium....

need quite a bit of juice to feed these monsters... 220V, dual 50-60 amp 110 legs minimum. Argon will get you through damn near anything, Helium Mix for a little more heat if need be for thicker Aluminum.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've got the time, learn TIG. Not to mention, get good enough and its a good side income for small jobs.

Lincoln Precision TIG 185/225 is a GREAT start, and likely good enough to keep permanently. Can be had for 1400-1800 depending on model/condition, and EASILY sellable for the same if you decide.

Much more versatility and capability, cleaner welds, no spatter all over the place, etc. Capability to weld Steel, Stainless, Aluminum, Magnesium, copper, titanium....

need quite a bit of juice to feed these monsters... 220V, dual 50-60 amp 110 legs minimum. Argon will get you through damn near anything, Helium Mix for a little more heat if need be for thicker Aluminum.

So far I've learned MIG and I'm going to move on to TIG soon. I have a number of side-projects I do, some with the Vipers, that require welding. I must've spent hundreds of dollars having my local welder (who does a great job) do these one-off's for me...$20 here, $10 there...a six pack once and a while...and it adds up. :D I plan on doing more side-work and it just makes sense to have my own setup. I appreciate all of the advice, its been very helpful.

- Tony

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 10 years ago and it has been going and going and going ever since. It's paid for itself many times over. Only thing I haven't gotten around to is learning how to weld aluminum which is where the TIG machine really shines. I'm a madman with all types of steel though. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave