Belle Island Trip

OP
OP
C

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part 5 - My last post on the weekend at Belle Isle. I promise.

This is Beth and Kim, who helped from the VCA side to organize the whole weekend. Thanks for a great job! The Chalet was an especially nice haven from the heat and otherwise pricey refreshments.
You must be registered for see images

There was only one runner in the GT1 Class the day before. The pair of Corvette C6's were on display throughout the IRL race. One nice thing about this event was that everything was displayed for the public's benefit. You could talk to anyone. Drivers rode through the crowds on mopeds and waved. The cars were practically hands on.

The start of the race. That's Helio Castroneves car and crew.

Panther Racing's pits, with spares which were readily needed.

Our seats were basically right in front of the Target Team's pit area.

Dan Wheldon's car coming in...

Cars on the front straight getting the green flag. Buddy Rice tries to catch Ed Carpenter.

I found this R8 in the back of the paddocks:

Back at the concession area, Chevrolet had a huge display. Hey, don't shoot the messenger! Maybe next year it will be Dodge's turn. Of course, they better enter some cars then...

If one compares the classic American lines with the European models pictured previously, you can immediately note some important differences. The European models tend to be high maintenance, fussy, and of course hard to live with on a daily basis--appealing as they might be at first glance. The American products may be a little less sophisticated, exhibit a different body style, and even consume a tad more fuel. But the real world benefits are certainly undeniable...

Turn 2 gave us a nice view of cars heading into a short straight.

Helio Castroneves behind one of the Team Target cars. Helio held the lead for much of the early race.

Tony Kanaan accepting his trophy.

Danica accepting her second place trophy. Now, don't get me worng...I am sure she could drive the pants off me :D, but she was VERY lucky. She fought her way from 11th to 9th. Her pit crew got her from 9th to 5th by being the fastest one on the planet. Then she went from 5th to 2nd when 2/3/4 crashed jockying for position in the last 10 seconds of the race!

And finally, I have to ask: Candidates for the Darwin Awards or the smartest guys on the planet???

Although I took about 300 pictures that weekend, that's all I planned on posting. Hope you enjoyed! To all of you I met for the first time, thanks again and see you next year!

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cop Magnet,
First off, Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures for us to see. I know how much work it is to do this.
You did an incredible job telling the story through pictures and captions. I feel as if I were there......I definitely wish I could have been there.

Hats off to you for sharing a job well done!

Lance

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somehow I had the feeling you'd be the sole responder! Thanks, though...

Well--I thank you for knowing I love to see the pics, but sorry I was the only responder...except I see Lance responded as well!!! Believe me, we really enjoy the pictures...keep 'em coming when you get them...you take EXcellent pictures, and the captions also...that is quite a heck of a lot of work, that's WHY I love to respond when people post them up...it's not easy (heck, I STILL can't do it!!)...so yes, I appreciate it!:2tu:
~juli

V

Venomiss

Even more good pictures!! The best one is the Darwin Awards at the end...they get first prize no doubt.;)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome pictures - would love to be there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456