So I drove a 2008 on the track today and...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was absolutely stunned. Oh sure, it wasn't a 2-Viper Chuck drive (left the paint on the car ;)), but it was still an incredible eye opener. So here was the deal:

We are hosting the VCA folks attending the Belle Isle Grand Prix here in Detroit. After the ALMS race ended the Vipers (and others) were invited to run a couple "pace laps" around this beautiful road course. Well, having recently wrapped up a 5,000 mile drive in our own SRT10, we decided not to drive up to Detroit from Kansas City in it. As such, we were perfectly content to watch the Vipers take the track from the sidelines. Much to my shock, the folks from SRT asked if I would like a ride in a 2008. I had an emphatic "yes" out before they hit the "t" in "eight". So as the time got closer the gentleman from SRT said, "Why don't you drive it and see what you think." :omg: That "yes" was just a little bit faster - having shouted it so loudly he is probably deaf in one ear now...

First things first: The pace laps rarely took us up to high speeds (never triple digits) but if you hung back you could play "catch up" pretty quickly. So no Chuck-style action. But it didn't matter. You see, we are on our third Viper and our second SRT10. We owned a 2003 and now have a 2005. I think I was one of the first owners to post driving experiences and pictures when we got our 2003 in January of that same year. So I feel pretty confident in saying that I am very familiar with how the SRT10 is set up and drives for the most part (sorry, no racing experience other than 1/4 mile).

My friends, I am very confident in saying that the 2008 truly deserves a "Gen IV" designation, as it really is a different car altogether. Oh sure, the skin is the same and the interior unchanged in the basic model. But the very second you hit that "Start" button you know this isn't like any SRT you have driven. And here is why:
  1. The car fires up instantly due to what I think is a smaller flywheel (sorry, too tired to look up the specs right now)
  2. The idle is more smooth - not luxury-car smooth, but certainly more "refined"
  3. The exhaust - WOW! I have heard 1,000 Vipers and none sounded like this. Without the cross-over behind the seats I fully expected the "UPS truck" sound that 5 cylinders can make. But it was anything but. While I never went full throttle (crashing a pre-production car with an SRT exec at your side is baaaaad), everything from idle up to 5,000 RPM's sounded incredible. It didn't strike me that different from outside the car, but from inside there was a drastic difference. While I love the "lumpy" idle and sound I get from my SRT these days (708 cam), this one sounded like a deep, tuned Ferrari or something. Impossible to describe and do it justice, but it sounded wonderful.
  4. The cockpit was noticeably cooler without the crossover and those new hood vents really cool down that engine bay. I suspect that it cools everything else down as a result, including keeping those side sill temperatures within reason. Where I can see some lazy "heat lines" coming up from the vents on my 2005, the 2008 looked like it was venting out heat like a blow dryer. And that is a wonderful thing - that same heat escaping never gets a chance to heat up everything else it touches.
  5. Throttle response is quick and the torque comes on much faster than my previous SRT's. Not sure if it is the new rear-end or how the power is delivered, but that powerband seems to have even MORE grunt on the bottom end than in years past. Thankfully those PS2's can better address it. The gentleman from SRT probably thought I was an idiot as I was feeding the throttle more (and then less to overcompensate) to get rolling and maintain speed. Totally different throttle experience and in a good way. It was like a cat that simply wanted to pounce and which you had to restrain. And rest assured that is a good thing. No - a GREAT thing: Even with all the work done on my current SRT (1000 HP), the 2008 seemed as though it would trounce my car if you nailed the throttle. Sure hope it doesn't, as I can't afford any more mods to my '05. ;)
  6. The shifting was phenomenal and again unlike any Viper I have driven. The throw was shorter, 10x smoother, and it almost seemed like it would pre-select the gears for you as you shifted. Indeed, one time I started out in 3rd by mistake and the car's torque brought it up to speed as if though it was in first. I was trying to figure out how first could last so long when I figured out my error (once again showing the SRT guy that he might have picked the wrong guy to drive this new beast). A quick click back into second really woke it up - and surprised me with how smooth it would transition.
  7. The ride was yet another totally different animal. Different shocks and springs undoubtedly played a HUGE role, but those non-runflats certainly did their part as well. The car rode more smoothly, handled better, and no longer "tracked" the ruts a fraction as much as they have with my other Vipers. Again, luxury car it ain't (purists can breath easily), but it just felt more controlled and was even smoother on the corners than what I can ever recall my other cars were. A few bumps on the apex wouldn't "jump" the car sideways - it would stay planted and continue down the turn unaffected. Hard to believe an even more competent track car could have such an improved ride. But it did.
Whew! I am sorry I can't give you a more detailed review or even one that is better worded (after 1 AM here). All I can tell you with the utmost assurance is that the 2008 is VERY different than any previous generation Viper. It may look largely the same as your 2003-2006, but it truly is a different car as soon as you fire it up. And that, my friends, is a good thing. A very, very, very good thing. From a driving and performance perspective this Viper is the best ever and by a good margin. I didn't expect it and was genuinely shocked from the moment I hit the start button until the minute my adventure ended.

For those of you that ordered 2008's, you are in for a real treat. For those of you on the fence - better jump quick as I wouldn't be surprised to see this model year "sell out", especially as other new owners post their own reviews. As for me, well, looks like I will have to have a heart-to-heart with my lovely bride. Hopefully she will leave mine intact. :D

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT --

Again, thank you for doing such a great job giving us the latest insights and news on the 2008. When you get some rest and have an opportunity, I would love to hear more driving impressions.

For example, Car and Driver has reported that the heat in the cabin is greatly reduced by the crossover pipe elimination. Roughly how much of a reduction in heat (20 percent, 50 percent)? Also, did you get any information about the build dates and the recent delay of federal engine certification? I have a 2008 Viper GTS Blue with two-tone interior and graphite bezel on order and am trying to get some updated info on when the car might be built.

Thanks!

/Rich

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta save up and get me one of these things. I wonder if the SCCA is gonna allow it in T1?

Nice going Chris.

Not crazy about the smooth idle though.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

You lucky SOB. Great write up but your still going to have to tell us about it in person at the next Mickey's Viper meet. :drive:

-Dan

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roughly how much of a reduction in heat (20 percent, 50 percent)? Also, did you get any information about the build dates and the recent delay of federal engine certification? I have a 2008 Viper GTS Blue with two-tone interior and graphite bezel on order and am trying to get some updated info on when the car might be built.
Well, as we all know the cabin heat will vary with outside temperatures, how fast you are moving, and how much you are using the throttle. That said, we were parked with the engine running for about 15 minutes (staging) and even my back felt pretty cool. I would say that 50% or more wouldn't be out of the question based on my very limited encounter.

Now I can't say with certainty when the cars will start building (no mention of engine certification so I suspect that is bunk), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them rolling down the line in the next 2-3 weeks. Just remember that the two-tone interiors and upgraded bezels will be further down the schedule for production. Your car may be built, but it may have to wait for some of those parts to get produced.

I wonder if the SCCA is gonna allow it in T1? Not crazy about the smooth idle though.
Not sure about the SCCA angle (will ask tomorrow as a couple SCCA execs are also here) but can tell you this: I LOVE my current idle with the 708 cam. Nice and "lumpy" with that old-school muscle car feel and sound. But I would trade it in a heartbeat for this new idle. Why? It's very difficult to describe but it just feels like it is wound up and ready to launch. Like listening to a Ferrari (albeit a couple octaves lower) vs. a rat motor. Go back and watch/listen to this video again and you may get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9brEjn9WVpY

It's all good!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You lucky SOB. Great write up but your still going to have to tell us about it in person at the next Mickey's Viper meet.
You got it! And Dan, I think you would be proud of me - I made sure it was red...

2008.jpg

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*turns dark green with envy*

Nice going! Hmm now if I could convince the salesguy at the local Chrysler/Dodge dealer who still knows me from doing my apprenticement there a few years back to get one of these on the showroom floor... need special contacts first though.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now thats a review worth reading . A great review from a guy who knows Vipers . Really appreciate the feedback Chris. Glad you got to drive the 08 , I can't wait for mine . It feels like it is so close but yet so far ..... cliche but true .... I have been patiently waiting since before the release of the 08 in Detroit at NAIAS. Now after a review like that I'm even more anxious then ever to get the car . :D

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was absolutely stunned. Oh sure, it wasn't a 2-Viper Chuck drive (left the paint on the car ;)), but it was still an incredible eye opener. So here was the deal:

We are hosting the VCA folks attending the Belle Isle Grand Prix here in Detroit. After the ALMS race ended the Vipers (and others) were invited to run a couple "pace laps" around this beautiful road course. Well, having recently wrapped up a 5,000 mile drive in our own SRT10, we decided not to drive up to Detroit from Kansas City in it. As such, we were perfectly content to watch the Vipers take the track from the sidelines. Much to my shock, the folks from SRT asked if I would like a ride in a 2008. I had an emphatic "yes" out before they hit the "t" in "eight". So as the time got closer the gentleman from SRT said, "Why don't you drive it and see what you think." :omg: That "yes" was just a little bit faster - having shouted it so loudly he is probably deaf in one ear now...

First things first: The pace laps rarely took us up to high speeds (never triple digits) but if you hung back you could play "catch up" pretty quickly. So no Chuck-style action. But it didn't matter. You see, we are on our third Viper and our second SRT10. We owned a 2003 and now have a 2005. I think I was one of the first owners to post driving experiences and pictures when we got our 2003 in January of that same year. So I feel pretty confident in saying that I am very familiar with how the SRT10 is set up and drives for the most part (sorry, no racing experience other than 1/4 mile).

My friends, I am very confident in saying that the 2008 truly deserves a "Gen IV" designation, as it really is a different car altogether. Oh sure, the skin is the same and the interior unchanged in the basic model. But the very second you hit that "Start" button you know this isn't like any SRT you have driven. And here is why:
  1. The car fires up instantly due to what I think is a smaller flywheel (sorry, too tired to look up the specs right now)
  2. The idle is more smooth - not luxury-car smooth, but certainly more "refined"
  3. The exhaust - WOW! I have heard 1,000 Vipers and none sounded like this. Without the cross-over behind the seats I fully expected the "UPS truck" sound that 5 cylinders can make. But it was anything but. While I never went full throttle (crashing a pre-production car with an SRT exec at your side is baaaaad), everything from idle up to 5,000 RPM's sounded incredible. It didn't strike me that different from outside the car, but from inside there was a drastic difference. While I love the "lumpy" idle and sound I get from my SRT these days (708 cam), this one sounded like a deep, tuned Ferrari or something. Impossible to describe and do it justice, but it sounded wonderful.
  4. The cockpit was noticeably cooler without the crossover and those new hood vents really cool down that engine bay. I suspect that it cools everything else down as a result, including keeping those side sill temperatures within reason. Where I can see some lazy "heat lines" coming up from the vents on my 2005, the 2008 looked like it was venting out heat like a blow dryer. And that is a wonderful thing - that same heat escaping never gets a chance to heat up everything else it touches.
  5. Throttle response is quick and the torque comes on much faster than my previous SRT's. Not sure if it is the new rear-end or how the power is delivered, but that powerband seems to have even MORE grunt on the bottom end than in years past. Thankfully those PS2's can better address it. The gentleman from SRT probably thought I was an idiot as I was feeding the throttle more (and then less to overcompensate) to get rolling and maintain speed. Totally different throttle experience and in a good way. It was like a cat that simply wanted to pounce and which you had to restrain. And rest assured that is a good thing. No - a GREAT thing: Even with all the work done on my current SRT (1000 HP), the 2008 seemed as though it would trounce my car if you nailed the throttle. Sure hope it doesn't, as I can't afford any more mods to my '05. ;)
  6. The shifting was phenomenal and again unlike any Viper I have driven. The throw was shorter, 10x smoother, and it almost seemed like it would pre-select the gears for you as you shifted. Indeed, one time I started out in 3rd by mistake and the car's torque brought it up to speed as if though it was in first. I was trying to figure out how first could last so long when I figured out my error (once again showing the SRT guy that he might have picked the wrong guy to drive this new beast). A quick click back into second really woke it up - and surprised me with how smooth it would transition.
  7. The ride was yet another totally different animal. Different shocks and springs undoubtedly played a HUGE role, but those non-runflats certainly did their part as well. The car rode more smoothly, handled better, and no longer "tracked" the ruts a fraction as much as they have with my other Vipers. Again, luxury car it ain't (purists can breath easily), but it just felt more controlled and was even smoother on the corners than what I can ever recall my other cars were. A few bumps on the apex wouldn't "jump" the car sideways - it would stay planted and continue down the turn unaffected. Hard to believe an even more competent track car could have such an improved ride. But it did.
Whew! I am sorry I can't give you a more detailed review or even one that is better worded (after 1 AM here). All I can tell you with the utmost assurance is that the 2008 is VERY different than any previous generation Viper. It may look largely the same as your 2003-2006, but it truly is a different car as soon as you fire it up. And that, my friends, is a good thing. A very, very, very good thing. From a driving and performance perspective this Viper is the best ever and by a good margin. I didn't expect it and was genuinely shocked from the moment I hit the start button until the minute my adventure ended.

For those of you that ordered 2008's, you are in for a real treat. For those of you on the fence - better jump quick as I wouldn't be surprised to see this model year "sell out", especially as other new owners post their own reviews. As for me, well, looks like I will have to have a heart-to-heart with my lovely bride. Hopefully she will leave mine intact. :D
Great review thanks for the info. I'm waiting for my 08.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust - WOW! I have heard 1,000 Vipers and none sounded like this. Without the cross-over behind the seats I fully expected the "UPS truck" sound that 5 cylinders can make. But it was anything but. While I never went full throttle (crashing a pre-production car with an SRT exec at your side is baaaaad), everything from idle up to 5,000 RPM's sounded incredible. It didn't strike me that different from outside the car, but from inside there was a drastic difference. While I love the "lumpy" idle and sound I get from my SRT these days (708 cam), this one sounded like a deep, tuned Ferrari or something. Impossible to describe and do it justice, but it sounded wonderful.

Glad to here it sounds good. I'm not a fan of the RT/10-UPS sound.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Chris- after you have the heart to heart- perhaps you will set a price on your current ride that I can afford!:headbang:
And since I don't want you to be Viperless- I can wait until you get your 08!:usa:

PBR

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta save up and get me one of these things. I wonder if the SCCA is gonna allow it in T1?

Nice going Chris.

Not crazy about the smooth idle though.

It will be in ST, this car would smash T1 records everywhere with nothing but tires.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, very good info. Now I'm having a harder time waiting for my 08 to come in.

We had a great time this weekend! Thanks for the great event!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, very good info. Now I'm having a harder time waiting for my 08 to come in.

We had a great time this weekend! Thanks for the great event!
Great to finally meet you! I am sorry I couldn't spend more time with you - we were getting pulled in 20 different directions as you probably saw... ;) Had I known which car was yours I would have gotten more pictures, but here is one you might enjoy:

alex1.jpg

And to make sure this stays on track, here are a couple of the 2008 I got to drive:

20081.jpg

20082.jpg

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up! May have to send the wife back to work and take the baby to work with me. I need one!!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooooooo glad i ordered the 08 in red.

Smokntires where did u get those side skirts from? Do u have any more pics of u're viper

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pics, Chris!!! RED 2008, huh? Oh well...we'll get to the 'fast' BLACK ones soon enough!!! :D :eater: :eater: :eater: So glad you got to take the '08 out and loved your writeup as well as Bill's. ~juli

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456