Now It Can Be Told: PartsRack's ASC Acquisition. [long]

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB here, and I should be composing this story for Viper Magazine. We may one day tell the whole story, but here goes the basics. The rumor mill has parts of the story, so herewith is the first-person, horse's mouth thumbnail version:

PartsRack was recently invited to bid on the ASC surplus SRT-10 Viper body panels that were 'left over' from 2006 production, and unneeded due to the canceled 2007 SRT10.
For reasons I cannot answer, these parts were made available due to the bankruptcy Court's direct liquidition of ASC assets to pay creditors. There were almost 650 "Large Panels" of SRT-Viper bodies, in CAAP-ready, CAAP-returned, new-primed, and raw-finished parts. In TWO plants. And hundreds more small parts, pieces and hardware. And hundreds of gallons of paint. Basically enough parts to build 54 SRT10 bodies in a rainbow mis-mosh of SRT10s and SRT-Cs. [This could create a GRATEFUL DEAD VIPER.....psychedelic indeed.]

The court's on-the-books MSRP value of this "Lot" was one used Viper value over $800,000.00

Several bidders were at play, and the "Lot" might have been broken up. Due to some other issues, there was even serious talk of sending these beauties to the shredder! But PartsRack was in a massive, tension-filled scramble to be financially able to bid on the ENTIRE parcel, and simultaneously plan the logistics mandated in case we actually won. Fast Forward: We Won !! With the help of some retired 1992+ "Team Viper Family" in Detroit who gave up a few weedays to help, ***THANKS GUYS*** we inventoried, wrapped, tagged and bagged all these items, in a 100-degree factory with NO air conditioning, and only 'emergency backup' power for lighting. As we emptied 6-year old "VGX labelled" PartsRacks (!!), SALEEN plant folks were loading the "PartsRacks" out the side door. [The bid rules expressly forbade us from taking even ONE PartsRack!}

Last week's SALEEN TOUR PHOTOS show the many SRT10 PartsRacks...take a look at the pristine facilty, but the beat-up, old PartsRacks, all emblazoned "VGX"...and the part names. They were nearly FULL three weeks ago, and sitting cross town at ASC! The photos we took pre-inventory, look almost EXACTLY like the Saleen photos! Only the empty, sad old facility was our backdrop. I truly wish I had been able to purchase the ASC facility, and open PartsRack EAST.... several T.V. retirees could have manned the fort...

It took leasing 2 x 53' semi trailers, (1 was double-decked) and 1 x 44' trailer; and a 28' race trailer to get all the stuff. We took the 5-gallon paint, but had to leave behind the 55 gal drums (although we tried desperately to just GIVE it to our friends at PreFix.) PartsRack received a glowing (and pride-inspiring) 'thank you' letter from the bankruptcy lawyer....he dislosed that a case of beer had actually been wagered that PartsRack would NOT meet the strict financial or logistics deadlines. He was RIGHT: we BEAT both deadlines, not just meeting them.

***We could NOT have managed and concluded this event without the logistical and storage support of Wisconsin neighbor and fellow Viper owner / vendor Paul Scharf of Don Scharf Automotive. THANKS PAUL and CREW.***

The many PartsRack Sweat Shop anecdotes of pre-dawn breakfasts, late dinners, WhiteCastle vs bar-burger lunches, dumpster-diving, traveler-pack raiding, office cabinet digging, locker room antics, sweating with our VIPER LOVING FRIENDS and co-workers will never be forgotten. It ranks among the TOP Viper experiences of my Viper-changed life, that began to evolve in 1989 when the show-car debuted.

The bottom line is: If you want or need an SRT10 body part, ASC-Factory OE NOS, 2003-2008 PVP Vintage, lovingly acquired with all the appropriate crayon marks and initials, WE GOT EM. Even factory PAINTED parts, (available nowhere else): Slate; Yellow; White; Copper; Blue; as well as raw or primed 'service' parts.....Our pricing will be so competitive that Dodge Dealers will buy from us (as many of them do now.)

Our shipping is Mid-west rated, not from WA. And now READY TO SHIP! And if you just cannot bear my Ex-Air-Traffic-Controller phone style, (really!) you can even call Paul instead !

I sent to CHAD (thanks) and hope to have photos added here very soon....or just look at SALEEN PLANT photos and imagine "the lights are out, and nobody's home." [at ASC-Livonia, not PartsRack!] Thanks for reading, & sharing your time.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, congrats....thats a big move and i wish you luck. you deserve it.

And if you just cannot bear my Air-Traffic-Controller phone style, you can even call Paul instead !

thats just too dang funny. im gonna have to call one monday just to get this supposed bad phone style i hear of....:)

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Jon!!!

Now all I have to do is buy a slight wrecked GEN 3 and repair it with panels from you!!! Does life get any easier?

Regards,
Aaron

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Jon! If there was ever a face associated with how a Viper transformed a person's life, it would be yours.

Last edited:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Jon, congrats. Too bad they were not any Gen 2 parts. I am also dying to find out what will ever happen to that 55 gallon drum of Viper Race Yellow?

<-----------------In case it's not obvious.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome story JonB!

We are PROUD to have you at our service!

:)

Thank you

-J

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Great business move, sounds wonderful...

Big congrats, JonB!

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when can I get some pricing on those factory painted parts...2006 Blue?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!! Congrats Jon! Here's the pics and captions you asked me to post. Congrats again!!

Noone's home:
You must be registered for see images attach

Hoods:

Rear fascia:

More hoods:

Trunks and sills:

Quarter panels:

Fenders:

Roofs and hatchbacks:

Windshield Frames, Roofs, hatches:

Pssst...wanna buy a quarter panel?:

Baggin and taggin:

Packing dock:

SRT Doors:

Every panel is counted:

Bagged and tagged seals:

Shrink wrapping decklids:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DAMN! Simply majorly impressive story! Whoa wait a sec.. I see a 2008 hood in those pictures??
That is going to create quite the batch of one-off Vipers if people buy a wrecked one and make a solid white SRT-C (for instance) out of it. Seriously, you guys should get together and organise something of this nature!
Maybe there will be a PartsRack Special Edition ;) ?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon you are the man!

This aquisition in probably the farthest anyone has gone out of pocket, and onto a financial limb to support the Viper Nation. With many of the parts you aquired on national back order, I am sure there are going to be many SRT owners and bodyshops calling you to help solve their parts dilema. Your support of Viper owners around the world is truly appreciated.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! Your like the God Father of gen III parts now.
Very cool John. Hope I never need them but if I do I know where to go.

ps. How much for the girl?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, are there still large numbers of body panels being held by Dodge for the SRT's? Or is this all that actually exists of SRT panels?

If that's it, you now have a monopoly on all body panels from this point forward. If so, kudos to you for stepping up in such a large fashion. You are now in the Viper nation for the very long haul. Hope you have kids to take over the biz, because you have become the keeper of the grail:2tu:

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, are there still large numbers of body panels being held by Dodge for the SRT's? Or is this all that actually exists of SRT panels? If that's it, you now have a monopoly on all body panels from this point forward. If so, kudos to you for stepping up in such a large fashion. You are now in the Viper nation for the very long haul. Hope you have kids to take over the biz, because you have become the keeper of the grail

THANKS for the many kind words, all. It was exciting and scary at the same time.

Saleen is now making parts for CAAP and MoPar Service. But NO PAINTED PARTS FOR THE PUBLIC, only primed service parts. The BEST parts get painted and go to CAAP. Others to SERVICE. Saleen have now ALMOST gotten all the service-parts for dealer back-orders caught up. So PartsRack only has a 'monopoly' on NOS Painted Panels, that we are selling WELL BELOW MSRP OF PRIMERED SERVICE PARTS! And of ASC-built service parts. Generally, 25-50% (!) off MSRP, with the larger % going to multiple-panel orders.

We did get a few GTS and even RT10 parts in the lot. All in grey primer, old or 'historic'. We also got over 100 new Charger-type LX front grills. Painted all Charger colors! Want some DODGE WALL ART? A beautiful new Painted MoPar Cross-hair CHARGER RT Grille for your wall: $50 !

"How Much For The Girl?" Andrew? That martial-arts enthusiast is our "Director of Finance and Accounting" Doris Rose. [call her a 'girl' and shes able to kick you in the ear.] Totally Viper-ized, Doris has owned 3 Vipers, and is an internationally licensed Pace Car driver like me. My "favorite driving student" is now an instructor candidate here as well. At the 2007 F-16 race, in the loaner SRT10s at the D-C Proving Grounds, Doris won the Ladies division Auto-X (8th overall as she prefers). For the first time in her career she beat MY best time in front of, and much to the delight of 90+ onlookers.....She helped arrange our financing, did the lawyer work and contracts in Detroit, and then counted and packed parts with the guys and drank some beers after. How Much you ask? ...... NOT FOR SALE - PRICELESS !

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks for your support Jon.

You know we'll pass the word around and suport you.

Dan

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am sure Woodhouse will be chatting with you when we need parts and congrats on the courageous move. I do look forward to a full story in Viper Magazine, as this definitely deserves the editorial space. The Bold ( going after the aquisition ) and the Beautiful ( all those lovely Viper Parts ) will make a great story that will go down in the annals of Viper Lore --- what a coup!

Best Regards.
Bill Pemberton
Viper and SRT Mgr
Woodhouse Chrylser, Dodge, Jeep, Viper and SRT
Blair, Nebraska:usa:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats.

Factory painted, factory original parts? I do have a few nicks on my front bumper. Hmmmm......

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations JonB!!! I well remember the stories of Doris and her accomplishments...kudos to you and for encouraging women Viper drivers out there.
You are a heck of a GREAT asset on these forums and an overall genuinely GREAT guy!~!
~juli

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
..I am sure Woodhouse will be chatting with you when we need parts and congrats on the courageous move. I do look forward to a full story in Viper Magazine, as this definitely deserves the editorial space. The Bold ( going after the aquisition ) and the Beautiful ( all those lovely Viper Parts ) will make a great story that will go down in the annals of Viper Lore --- what a coup! Best Regards.

Bill Pemberton Viper & SRT Mgr Woodhouse Chrylser, Dodge, Jeep, Viper & SRT:usa:

The parts are beauties, but we were the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY after the PARTSRACK
SWEATSHOP CREW packed and loaded them. THANKS BILL .

Juli, I go so far back with lady Viper racers that I remember when JANNI was a rookie !!!

Lawrenzo said:
.....kudos to you for stepping up in such a large fashion. You are now in the Viper nation for the very long haul. Hope you have kids to take over the biz, because you have become the keeper of the grail
Lawrenzo, Thanks, but the ONLY "Keeper Of The Grail" is Mr. HERB HELBIG......... Long Haul? Ive veen Viperized for the long haul already! ....these parts will be gone relatively soon, since they fit 2003-2008. I never posted anything when we got the Gen 2 or Gen 1 surplus parts , (far fewer) and most all are GONE !

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........DAMN! Simply majorly impressive story! Whoa wait a sec.. I see a 2008 hood in those pictures??...........

Yes, we have a small # of 2008 Factory OE hoods, primer only, See SUPPLIER SPECIALS for a great price. ready to SHIP

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21