RT not starting up............

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 RT/10 has a brand new battery installed 3 weeks ago. Car started up fine etc. Started it yesterday, went to pick up my daughter from school and got back. Tried to start it up again 2 minutes later and it would not crank. Interior lights were dimming and indicators were faint. Put the battery on a charger and now with a full charge, still can't get it to turn over. Interior lights and indicators all are bright but just cannot get the car to crank up. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dunno:

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check to see if your new battery is rated strong enough to turn it over. Cells might even be dry if not maintained by company you bought it from. Maybe the alarm system if battery went down.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
even new batteries can have a short. When a load is placed on it, they die. When you try to crank it over, do the headlights go dim? Another thought, press real ******* the clutch(safety start switch). It could be it's not connecting which will keep it from starting too.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like loose battery cable to me. Turns on the low load lights then with high load of the starter looses connection. Does it crank when jumped at the under hood jump/charge posts? If it jumps you need to get to the battery and check connects.

OP
OP
V

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does not crank up when jumped under the hood. It clicks and clicks but nothing.
If it is the alarm system killing it, then what?What is the fix?
It is an Interstate battery and it was listed for a Viper as stated by the Interstate sales guy.
I pressed real ******* the clutch and nothing. It just clicks and drains the battery.

OP
OP
V

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just turned the headlights on and the Xenons are as bright as ever. Tried to start it and it clicked once and that was it............seemed like the battery cut off. I tried again, and the battery seemed alive and as soon as I turned it, it clicked once again and the battery started to wither again.

Last edited:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're going to have to pull the tire and get to the cables at the battery. Either loose or battery is shot. The click is from low amps available to crank the starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth