Would you buy a Viper with a V8 HEMI?

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the big HEMI motors fit in the Viper?

Would you buy a Viper with a V8 HEMI?

Maybe even a supercharged V8 HEMI?

With all of the development work that Dodge has done on the HEMIs...especially DOD...the Viper could end up with that as an option. Maybe a light weight optioned car...what do you think?:dunno:

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just not the same.

Might as well slap some new emblems on it and call it something else.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never. id rather dodge discontinue making vipers if they cant make a viper with a V10

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper would not be a Viper without the big V10 stuffed in there but to answer your original question, yes, a Hemi will fit under the hood with no modifications to the hood. I know a guy who lives near Green Bay who stuffed a 526 Hemi in his Viper. What a monster car he has, over 850 rwhp, N/A as well!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive: :2tu: :drive: Hemi is fine, as long as it is a V-10 HEMI.

Hemi arcitecture is difficult for Viper due to height of those engines.

Dodge seems to be getting mega HP out of their existing V-10.:headbang: :nana: :slomo:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper isn't a Viper with a V8, nor a V12.....it's V10 only. Now if Dodge wants to put hemi heads on the V10....and it means some mean bulges in the hood.....I'm VERY interested....whether I can see out the front or not.

Regards,
Aaron

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge Viper has always been and will hopefully always remain a V10 motor. Just as it should remain a 6speed stick as well. Although, Tony Darwin (think that's his name) had a mean HEMI V8 Nitrous injected supercharged GTS. Sir Hiss I believe she was named.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read an article some time ago that Shelby wanted to put a big V8 in the Viper but it wouldn't fit between the frame rails planned. The V10 has a narrower angled deck. There is a drag funnycar Viper with a Hemi but it has a tube frame. If you want a V8 buy a Vette.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We were told during our visit to SRT in Januray that the current hemi would not fit in the SRT-10's engine bay.....

Perhaps the next generation will get a hemi ..... with ten cylinders.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, a hemi with 10 cylinders is not bad. People should not complain about 12 either, if we can get our hands on an engine like that.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

When I'm filthy rich, I'll buy a mid 90's Jaguar XJS with a V12 and make the ultimate sleeper....twin turbo's, water to air intercooler, etc. It would be an interesting project....whaddya think?

Regards,
Aaron

Hey, a hemi with 10 cylinders is not bad. People should not complain about 12 either, if we can get our hands on an engine like that.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the V10 makes the car. Would I not buy a Viper because it does not have a V10? Probably not but it would have to have LOTS of power from the V8 but I do not even want to think about it. The V10 is a BEAUTY, especially in the GEN Is and IIs.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An (other) ugly thought just crossed my (severely perverted) mind:

With Jim Press, former Toyota COO on board as the new Chrysler COO, just pray that they do not come out with a Viper V8 Hemi (Atkinson Cycle) Hybrid Synergy Drive...powering the front wheels! :(

Or was this just a recent nightmare? :omg: :crazy2:

Phil

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would give me pause and make me look closer at all the competition before I made a purchase of a V8 Viper.

At this point I don't think Dodge could even go to a V12 without backlash from it's customer base.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

When I'm filthy rich, I'll buy a mid 90's Jaguar XJS with a V12 and make the ultimate sleeper....twin turbo's, water to air intercooler, etc. It would be an interesting project....whaddya think?

Regards,
Aaron

Hey Aaron, I've got two V-12 XJ-S Jags (a '90 and a '91). Rebuilt the topside of the engine on one and pretty close to finishing the other one. No mods yet other than 3" intake tubes and K&Ns, but I've always thought about what you mentioned. You don't have to be filthy rich to take one of them off my hands (gotta make room in the garage!)...

Ron

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a Viper V10 only, hemi or not. However, a 500+hp V8 hemi in something else might be interesting.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V10 ....................but a 6.1 liter Hemi with two more pistons grafted on sure sounds interesting! Heh, a boys gotta dream, right?

That wouldn't work....it's too small. ONLY 7.625L We need AT-Least 8.0

Viper should always have huge lump under the hood.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
An achilles heel of the V10 is the added weight, which seems to be one of the main reasons the Zwhatever is even in the same neighborhood as the Viper. Does anyone know what the weight is of the V10 and how that might compare to a Hemi V8 or even the LS7?

It would be cool if you had a 426 hemi that was conservatively rated at 600+ HP, but dynoed 800+ as was shown in one of the recent TV programs.