Vipers bought in USof A going to Canada

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please share the ins and outs of a USA purchase and bringing the car into Canada. Customs, GST etc. And then the requirements for Canadian compliance. (Daytime running lights cost, speedo change?, etc,)

V

Venomiss

Go to membership at the top of this page.
Go to membership on the left side and it will move right and click on regions.
Scroll down toward the bottom and there will be three different regions of Canada to click on for their individual websites. E-mail or phone and ask them for help to your questions.
You could also call a car dealer in Canada and see what they say also.
Good luck.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem to bring over. Daytime lights are now done by key fob. No need to change speedo's. Pay GST when you bring car over border and PST when you license it (GST & PST are the same as if you bought in Canada). No customs duties.

For more info www.riv.ca

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did it. Piece of cake. Follow the instructions that wayne just gave you or PM me your number and I'll walk you through it. Smart choice. I saved over $25,000 buying the car from the US instead of incountry.

The US rules for car pricing!!!

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I brought my 99gts in from Cali and it's not too bad. Wayne is correct but there are a few more things you need. Like a recall clearence letter and some other stuff.

Heere is a link to the canadian gov't site telling you what to do step by step. I followed these steps and had few problems.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

I would advise you have a shipper bring it across the border for you. I ran into the catch 22 of not being able to get insurance without a temp trip permit and not being able to get a temp trip permit without insurance (only the gov't). The shipper had his own insurance so problem solved.

PM any questions

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many thanks, getting reved now! Can you get the recall clearance letter from a local dealer with the serial number provided to them? The car I am looking at may not have had a recall done with regard to a potential frame? crack that can occur in extreme driving conditions. The seller(Marv Rose) was very upfront suggested it isn't necessary unless you're racing. He hasn't even done it on his own car(s). What's the story (and potential issues with bringing it over the border) on that "recall" or update? If it hasn't been done, can i still just take it to a dealer?

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many thanks, getting reved now! Can you get the recall clearance letter from a local dealer with the serial number provided to them? The car I am looking at may not have had a recall done with regard to a potential frame? crack that can occur in extreme driving conditions. The seller(Marv Rose) was very upfront suggested it isn't necessary unless you're racing. He hasn't even done it on his own car(s). What's the story (and potential issues with bringing it over the border) on that "recall" or update? If it hasn't been done, can i still just take it to a dealer?

Chrysler has now made it easier with regards to the recall letter. You can actually get it online and you just print it. Just input your VIN number and you will get it. Many people have not had the recall done in the US as they feel the same as Marv.

However, you will have to get the recall done if you are going to transport it across the border. Otherwise your letter will say that recall has not been completed and they will not let it through. I had to have this done when I bought mine and the transport and broker also insisted I have done otherwise they would not work with me. It would get stuck at the border and that will cost you and the shipper lots of $$ in waiting.

The recall is free for you, you should get it done. Make sure you get recommendations from the local VCA guys as to which is the best Viper tech in the area. I know Chuck Tator has had to fix the recall work done from some dealerships in the past because it was not done correctly.

cpperhead1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The real problem is as I discoverd while shopping for my 05copperhead.... I called Cnd H/office to see if Chrysler Canada would cover the US warranty ... They told me absolutely NOT
So I didn't want to take the risk of having to drive to Buffalo to fix the thing { oh } they told me you can't even do that cause the minute the US car crosses the border Its Voided as well
Ah NUTS

GTRDIABLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't bring back a gen 1 car they do not meet Canadain safety standards. The seat belts are on the doors.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real problem is as I discoverd while shopping for my 05copperhead.... I called Cnd H/office to see if Chrysler Canada would cover the US warranty ... They told me absolutely NOT
So I didn't want to take the risk of having to drive to Buffalo to fix the thing { oh } they told me you can't even do that cause the minute the US car crosses the border Its Voided as well
Ah NUTS

Whatever. If the thing completly blows up, it could be a big deal, but even if you have to shell out for a new engine, or trans,or w.h.y., you'll still be ahead.
Bottom line is that these cars are dead reliable. Saving 25 to 30K on the purchase makes up for a heckufalot of trips to the stealership.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the CA1 option package = Block heater, snow plow attachment points, and hockey stick rack...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth