Diary of a new (to me) Viper owner

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1989, my dad came home from work and handed me a magazine with the quintessential American muscle car concept on the cover. He was (and is) 40 years, 8 days my senior, but he always knew what was cool.
I, however, was sitting on my butt with nothing to do but mope around thinking “I’ll never be able to have something like that”. I stuck with that line of thought until about 11 years ago, when I stopped dreaming my dreams and decided to make them come true.
I met my future wife – or maybe this happened first. I went back to college full time (no more one-class-a-quarter-then-take-it-again-‘cause-I-forgot-what-I-learn’t).
I worked my butt off and worked through school, two new babies, and graduated with a degree in Architecture without owing anything for student loans and completing a complete remodel on our second home. My partner and inspiration put forth the same or better effort.
I got a day job with benefits, she started selling real estate (24/7), and together, we have built a very nice life with our boys. I quit smoking a few months ago (finally) and we decided together that a Viper would be my reward (and the carrot-on-a-string). The last three weeks have been utterly amazing. I made the remark to a few co-workers recently (absolutely honestly) that every day for me now is like Christmas morning. As they pondered what it would take to make them feel that way (aloud – not some bizarre self-made flashback sequence), I replied, “…probably something that you’ve wanted and worked toward for the last 15 or 20 years.”
Well, this particular dream of mine came true about 3 weeks ago. My endorphins still have a tough time trying to soothe the adrenaline rush that explodes every time I cross the threshold above the halls of horsepower (yes, I’m talking about the side pipes, rookies – try to keep up).
I picked up my black ’04 SRT-10 on August 29th at 7:30 pm. (after a strange period of price negotiations that I still don’t quite understand). I was still shaking with anticipation from the test drive a few weeks earlier. I took back roads with my eldest son (who left the candy at the dealership alone when asked) on the stretch of highway 202 between Bothell and Redmond and ended up cruising through our local “open air mall” (strange concept considering the amount of rain….). The most impressive stare was that of a father, about my age, grabbing his ~4 year old son’s shoulder and frantically pointing at us – that was me a few years ago! After a dinner with the family where all that I could think of was getting back into the Viper, it was my younger son’s turn to take a ride. This was my next surreal moment - since he is the one that state, as fact, (while shopping around with his older brother claiming boredom) that he would eventually own a Ferrari, a Lambourgini, Original Cobra GT, AND a Viper BumbleBee… To heck with the exhaust note – let’s crank up the ROCK’n’ROLL!
So far, the biggest complaint that I have is that it is hard to get used to the amount of attention that I get. I’ve read about it so many times, but never was able to appreciate the reality of it. I’m also still getting used to the Viperness (can’t come up with any other description - closest thing I ever had was a ’77 vette – stock – no comparo…) it handles waaaaay better than I can drive it,… I think I heard it start to cry the first couple of days out. Daily driver? AB-SO-LUTE-LY! Unless I get freaked out by the streams in the middle of I-90. Got caught in a surprise (to me anyway) rainstorm yesterday… guess I’ll need to brush up on my detailing skills with the Black paint…… until next time.

I’ve really appreciated all of the honest information on this board that helped to shape my decision of which Viper to purchase (well, the first one anyway…….

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase, cool story. The attention is hard to get used to, it never gets old though. Everyone will ask you how much it cost you, how fast it will go, tell you about their car and compare it to yours, and you'll get every guy in town wanting to race you. It's all fun though. Glad you're enjoying the ride and living your dream. :drive:

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddog11-you summed up Viper ownership completely-I couldn't have said it any better!:)
-Angela

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My story is pretty similar. The best thing about the Viper is that it's an accessible (some say affordable) exotic. There are just as many hard working guys that made the Viper their goal as there are trustfund baby gazillionaires adding one to their collection.

It's probably the most ecelctic group of owners I've ever seen. You're in good company. Welcome to the party! :2tu:

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't seem to get much attention in the Viper, and I like it that way. When I drive the Ferrari or Lamborghini, yes, it's awesome, but I hate having attention on me all the time, I hate people wanting to race, following me, driving erratically to try and get a glimpse of the car, or crowding me at the gas pump, it's just not my style, not that I'm trying to be rude, but I'm a little more introverted or shy... But when I drive the Viper I get the same rush, the same feeling, just less attention. Maybe it just seems like less in comparison to the other cars, but for some reason I just feel like I get less attention :D

Congratulations on working hard and achieving your goals.

Welcome :2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't seem to get much attention in the Viper, and I like it that way. When I drive the Ferrari or Lamborghini, yes, it's awesome, but I hate having attention on me all the time, I hate people wanting to race, following me, driving erratically to try and get a glimpse of the car, or crowding me at the gas pump, it's just not my style, not that I'm trying to be rude, but I'm a little more introverted or shy... But when I drive the Viper I get the same rush, the same feeling, just less attention. Maybe it just seems like less in comparison to the other cars, but for some reason I just feel like I get less attention :D

Congratulations on working hard and achieving your goals.

Welcome :2tu:
Maybe you should post in the ferarri club. :rolleyes:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard reidesign!! Yep, let the VIPER FEVER begin and the whiplash looks!!!
We call your Vinerness--VIPER FEVER--there is NO CURE!~~~~DRIVE and ENJOY~~juli

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I posted this before, but I'll repeat myself. I took the Viper up to the gas station/convenience market one night to fill it up. I went inside to buy something and when I came out, there was a young guy standing next to my car with an awestruck look on his face. He had ridden up on a nice Yamaha R1, and I'm kind of a motorcycle nut as well. As I got close, he says something like, "that a great car", and started the small talk about it. I started admiring his bike and complementing him on it and the conversation shifted. He rides a bike as his daily driver because he's a student with a part time job and that's all he can afford, gas prices and all, and he tells me how he dreams about buying a car like mine someday. Anyway, when we shifted the conversation to his bike, he really beamed, like he couldn't believe that I would admire his bike. It was pretty cool, and he left with a huge smile on his face.

V

Venomiss

Welcome to lot's of attention! :2tu:
In case you missed it-here is all the information on joining the VCA-not the same as just joining these boards. Gets you a subscription to Viper magazine, an avatar picture here, and the ability to enter the raffle for the new 2008 Viper along with many other perks.
http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603453

Safe cruising with your family.:drive:
Congratulations!

OP
OP
PacificSEASnake

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to lot's of attention! :2tu:
In case you missed it-here is all the information on joining the VCA-not the same as just joining these boards. Gets you a subscription to Viper magazine, an avatar picture here, and the ability to enter the raffle for the new 2008 Viper along with many other perks.
http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603453

Safe cruising with your family.:drive:
Congratulations!

Thanks for the info! Been meaning to fill out the app but I never seem to have the paperwork and the VIN in the same place at the same time - maybe this weekend, if I'm not busy polishing.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never wanted attention when I bought my Viper, I wanted a man's sports car, no compromises (or very few, like A/C) and something that I had to respect....The VIPER is that car and every time I see it, I still smile knowing it's mine.....ALL Mine!

I've gotten used to the attention and have learned to make the best of it and put the Viper dreams and plan in someone else's head and watch them walk away knowing that a Viper is within reach and I can hardly wait to meet them when they join the club with that big grin on their face.

When you meet other new owners you'll see the smile...the one that won't go away!

Regards,
Aaron

V

Venomiss

Thanks for the info! Been meaning to fill out the app but I never seem to have the paperwork and the VIN in the same place at the same time - maybe this weekend, if I'm not busy polishing.
Here is one more piece of information: Your nearest viper club site-WA
http://www.wavca.org/

Might get you some information on events near you so you can cruise with other Vipers and find out about shows in your area. We will be looking for pictures!:2tu:
Venomiss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave