skip shift

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you are shifting from 1st to 2nd below 2000 rpm it drops right into 4th ( hence the "skip Shift"). Heard it was done for fuel economy, don't know if that is 100% true.
You can spend money to eliminate it or you can just get on the gas and shift into 2nd after 2000 rpw, which is real easy to do.:D

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Govt BS. Makes you mash the gas to bypass the forced shift thereby defeating the purpose. Call Jon B and get the eliminator that bypasses it and keeps the check engine light from lighting up.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When in first gear, at low RPM, you'll see the "up arrow" light on the dash (yellow) when it will force you to shift from first to forth. As Dave says, just give it a little gas, and the light will go away - allowing you to upshift to second.

A quick mod (about $25 off eBay, probably a couple $ less from Jon B) and you can shift as you please. A sort of bypass plug into the tranny, you just need to get the front-left side of the car up enough to be able to back-slide under it- took me about 15 minutes start to finish.

Yes, search everywhere and you'll see you can make the part yourself with a resistor and connector from Radio Shack, but its not worth the trouble IMHO.

With the eBay mod, the light still turns on, but that makes it even better for me since I know that I'm in charge of my gas-guzzling...

Ron

Last edited:

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I put in the mopar performance controller the skip shift was eliminated. If you plan to upgrade or flash the computer, don't spend money on the elimitator. If you are staying stock, and it annoys you, get the eliminator, it is a very very easy install.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mopar controller is a bolt-on item, likely under the hood. Reflash controllers can be hand-held. Don't know if the DC version is or not.

If you had either one you would likely know it.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We turn the skip shift off when writing the performance files into the SCT plug in flash programmer.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
can anybody explain me, what "skip shift" is? fabian

My name is SKIP SHIFTY. You can call me Skippy. Im from the Federal Govt and Im here to help you save gas. I try to force you to use 4th gear whenever the yellow lite that I mandate tells you to SHIFT UP NOW. If your throttle is less than half, and your RPMs are low, you MUST shift from 1st to fourth, 'skipping' 2 gears. [I named the process after myself!] I hate it when guys buy plug-n-play Skip-Shift-Elimiantors to defeat me. If they are gonna muck with my plans, I prefer they buy cut-n-splice resistors than can cause check-engine lites. [I mandated those, too!]

I cant wait to see my preferences as they were insinuated into the 2008 Viper, fly-by-wire computer. I really had a BLAST with the HEMI motor fly-by-wire [FBW]........owners of those Chargers etc just THINK they have full throttle, but NO WAY! I rob as much as 25% in 1st, and 10-15% when shifting. Hee-Hee....those dumb owners only have a Semi-HEMI and they dont even know it. I wont let them have 385-425 HP in tap....NO WAY am I gonna let you have 600 HP on full-tap when you mash the FBW throttle. Remember: My name is SKIPPY and IM HERE TO HELP YOU.

Did I mention I hate DAN CRAGIN? He has already figured a way to program my designs out of the HEMI, and will probably help ensure the 2008 gets full-throttle when the OWNER wants, not when I want. I hate him. He thinks he's so smart

Well, boys and girls, keep saving gas....and BE SAFE ! Dont use all 600HP at once, its way too much power to be safe..... Love ya, SKIPPY ! PS my friends Cindy Seatbelt, Oxy Petrol, and Dim-watt Lighting say hi! They remind you to ABIDE BY ALL THE SETTINGS IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL....... we helped write those, too.....NO CHANGES ALLOWED.

[B767DRIVER knows ALL ABOUT FBW.... we help HIM too! ]

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My name is SKIP SHIFTY. You can call me Skippy. Im from the Federal Govt and Im here to help you save gas. I try to force you to use 4th gear whenever the yellow lite that I mandate tells you to SHIFT UP NOW. If your throttle is less than half, and your RPMs are low, you MUST shift from 1st to fourth, 'skipping' 2 gears. [I named the process after myself!] I hate it when guys buy plug-n-play Skip-Shift-Elimiantors to defeat me. If they are gonna muck with my plans, I prefer they buy cut-n-splice resistors than can cause check-engine lites. [I mandated those, too!]

I cant wait to see my preferences as they were insinuated into the 2008 Viper, fly-by-wire computer. I really had a BLAST with the HEMI motor fly-by-wire [FBW]........owners of those Chargers etc just THINK they have full throttle, but NO WAY! I rob as much as 25% in 1st, and 10-15% when shifting. Hee-Hee....those dumb owners only have a Semi-HEMI and they dont even know it. NO WAY am I gonna let you have 600 HP on full-tap when you mash the FBW throttle. Remember: My name is SKIPPY and IM HERE TO HELP YOU.

Did I mention I hate DAN CRAGIN? He has already figured a way to program my designs out of the HEMI, and will probably help ensure the 2008 gets full-throttle when the OWNER wants, not when I want. I hate him. He thinks he's so smart

Well, boys and girls, keep saving gas....and BE SAFE ! Dont use all 600HP at once, its way too much power to be safe..... Love ya, SKIPPY ! PS my friends Cindy Seatbelt, Oxy Petrol, and Dim-watt Lighting say hi! They remind you to ABIDE BY ALL THE SETTINGS IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL....... we helped write those, too.....NO CHANGES ALLOWED.

And Jon, my name is REALLY IMPRESSED. :lmao:

Slow parts day? :dunno:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala