Driving an RT in a Homecoming Parade?

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a friend wanting me to drive their daughter in a local small town high school homecoming parade. I've done it in a C5 vette with an auto but never in the Vip. May seem like a dumb question, but are there any issues with idling for long periods like that and creeping along? Besides the obvious tired clutch foot trying to slip it in every once in a while to keep up with the parade (wear on the clutch?) . And.....since its an RT, she would have to sit up on the sport bar. She's not heavy at all, maybe 90 to 100 pounds....and cute as a button!! Ahhhhhh to be young again! Vip is supercharged too. Not sure if that would add to the issues.

Last edited:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will be fine. Try California traffic in a Viper or Long Island Traffic. Not an issue. I have sat in hours of traffic in the Viper and was perfectly fine. Just a dead clutch foot.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend wanting me to drive their daughter in a local small town high school homecoming parade. I've done it in a C5 vette with an auto but never in the Vip. May seem like a dumb question, but are there any issues with idling for long periods like that and creeping along? Besides the obvious tired clutch foot trying to slip it in every once in a while to keep up with the parade (wear on the clutch?) . And.....since its an RT, she would have to sit up on the sport bar. She's not heavy at all, maybe 90 to 100 pounds....and cute as a button!! Ahhhhhh to be young again! Vip is supercharged too. Not sure if that would add to the issues.

No problem at all. We are in 5 or 6 parades every year, including this one in Twinsburg for the annual Twins Days Festival. The same girls have ridden up there 3 years running now. The car took the parade car entry trophy last year and the girls won most alike for their age group. I do leave the back window in. The car has never overheated during the roughly 35 parades (.75 to 1 hour long and hot temps) it's been in. 72,500 miles on the clock now. I don't ever slip the clutch. It's either in or out. I just give it a little shot and then coast and / or brake.

Steve

IMG_1692.JPG

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had 3 girls sitting on the bar at once and it didnt seem to cause a problem. Two shouldnt be an issue, I also left the window in.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think I could muster up the courage to let anyone sit on my $1500 :money:sportpad, hot or not. Not to mention scratching the paint on the sportpad, no matter how cute their ***** it does the same damage. :*****:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have any problems with overheating on the car:D. The parade was about a mile and a half and my leg didn't even get tired;) , Yes Julie, from pushing the clutch:D . It was a lot of fun I kept thinking the people were waving at me not the good look'n lady on the top.
Palmer2006Parade.JPG

OHH, also got to show off Alaska's new Governor Palin while she was campaining. She likes Vipers. The caption was 'The Coldest State with the Hottest Governor' She's been a good one so far.

Palin2.jpg

:usa:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I could muster up the courage to let anyone sit on my $1500 :money:sportpad, hot or not. Not to mention scratching the paint on the sportpad, no matter how cute their ***** it does the same damage. :*****:

These girls have never caused any damage to the sport bar :) We've had others on top for picture taking as well. No problem.

Copy_of_IMG_1550.JPG

I didn't have any problems with overheating on the car:D. The parade was about a mile and a half and my leg didn't even get tired;) , Yes Julie, from pushing the clutch:D . It was a lot of fun I kept thinking the people were waving at me not the good look'n lady on the top.

I see a commonality here in all areas mentioned.;) My brother and I thought the same thing. Not really. We both knew that neither we, nor the Viper were not the center of attention. The proper order was girls and Viper. We were just along for the ride. I will say that for the youngsters in the crowd, the Viper was the center of attention. It seems all young kids go ga ga for Vipers. Over the years, I've seen kids on bikes run into things and literally go slack jawed when the car goes by.

Bottom line is: Go for it!! It's another part of the Viper experience :drive:

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4