Sean's facia pressure data

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK folks, buckle up. This is what Mr. Roe himself had to say. Got him on the phone for about 15 minutes this morning and in a nutshell...

Air "stacking up" under the Gen2 facia - The initial discovery was at a World Challenge event at Road Atlanta. A photographer supplied Sean images of the car at speed that showed the front facia bowing up in to the car. The conclusion was that the air was being pressurized under the facia. Further testing with a manometer attached to various areas of the underside of the facia confirmed this, and was used in the development of his facia kit.

The fog light openings - Pressure readings were also taken with a manometer at those locations. Up to 105 mph or so, those areas are under positive pressure. At 105 to 110 they go neutral. Above that they go to negative pressure, which is why they don't make good brake cooling ducts.

Once again, this data is supported by manometer readings on an actual car at racing speeds with a sacrificial facia drilled with test ports.

I did not inquire about the NACA opening on the hood, but we chuckled about the Vipair for a bit. :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You see, Dave?!!! You go right to the source ( I also personally speak to Sean on various issues--he's awesome!) and get the info. Once again, you come thru for Vipers everywhere~~~~THANX! ~juli

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see, a vendor captures real data and designs a solution based on real data...gotta love it. Works for me. Thanks for time researching this Dave.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. The instrumented approach is the correct approach. I wonder at what speeds the facia was buckling up? "At Speed" at Road Altanta...??? How 'bout at speed during normal driving??? Good data on the fog light openings, but I think most would still find brake cooling value after slowing through 105 and achieving overpressure for some period of time vice totally writing off the idea. Hummm, I'll never be below 105 so that won't work. Oh yea, I guess that's why its call ROE RACING...Duh.

I'm done. Just sitting here wiriting gov't test and assessment plans so I can't help thinking about this with a few caveats...LOL. I do like the idea that some instrumentation was used though!!!! Good Post.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I almost bought an early edition of the Venom. It had wins for nearly every race entered and tons of literature with it. I was told it was the test bed for Roe & Henessey's racing efforts. Never heard about any other actual 7 year race research of all kinds so I'd guess the best racing advice would be from the guys that caused the Viper to win so many races in the older days. The way I understand it was that they won so many races restrictions were put on the Vipers so that Porches and Ferraris could win again.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21