Interesting break in information in Viper Magazine . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During the recent SRT engineering chat, the SRT folks responded that the break in for the 2008 Viper is as follows:

"Please refer to the 2008 Owner's manual for the Viper's break in procedure....the standard rules apply:

For the first 500 miles (800 km):
Keep your vehicle speed below the legal, posted speed limit and your engine speed below 4,000 rpm. Wait until the engine has reached normal operating temperature before driving at the recommended maximum break-in speed. Check the engine oil level at every fuel fill."

On page 38 of the Fall 2007 edition of Viper magazine, Herb Helbig, Manager of Vehicle Synthesis, SRT, fleshes this out a bit more and provides the following “best” break in procedure for a third generation Viper:

For the first 1,000 miles: avoid extended engine idling, wait until engine reaches normal operating temperature before “driving enthusiastically,” and check the engine oil at every fuel fill. Helbig also set out the following break in procedure:

Keep vehicle speed below 70 mph (113 kph) for the first 1,000 miles or 1,600 km;
Do not make any full throttle starts or full-throttle accelerations during the first 1,000 miles or 1,600 km;
Avoid driving at constant engine rpm for long periods of time during the first 1,000 miles or 1,600 km;
Light throttle run-ups through the gears, shifting at a maximum engine speed of 2,500 rpm for the first 200 miles;
Change engine oil at 200 miles;
Light throttle run-ups through the gears, shifting at a maximum engine speed of 3,500 rpm for the next 200 miles;
Light throttle run-ups through the gears, shifting at a maximum engine speed of 4,000 rpm for the next 200 miles;
Light throttle run-ups through the gears, shifting at a maximum engine speed of 4,500 rpm for the next 200 miles; and
Light throttle run-ups through the gears, shifting at a maximum engine speed of 5,000 rpm for the final 200 miles.

While I assume that Herb's procedure is for a 2003-2006 Viper, it does not seem to conflict with the procedure for the 2008.

After this, my understanding is that it is actually good for the engine (although not your license) for it to be driven hard up to or near redline.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to say we were also told about the fluctuating rpms when breaking in our '05. NOT to stay at a constant speed either, go up and down, but of course, don't go nuts...keep it on the lower speed side (70mph or so)...think we like the full-disclosure for breaking in the Viper. I now re-read, thanks to Fast Too--this is recited from the '08 Owner's Manual...I misread. Seems odd they'd not expand more on break-in, unless the newer engine doesn't quite need all that the previous Gens did? ~juli

Last edited:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I read about '08 correctly, I think the oil is going to be an even more important issue. It appears that the variable cam advance is activated by oil pressure. So using the proper oil, etc. would seem to be very important.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their not expanding upon this break-in proceedure in the owners manual is beyond me. Is it a national secret or something or are they just trying to keep the page count down of the owners manual (thereby reducing their cost of producing it). Geez......

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I read about '08 correctly, I think the oil is going to be an even more important issue. It appears that the variable cam advance is activated by oil pressure. So using the proper oil, etc. would seem to be very important.

Vipermann -- I believe the SRT engineers confirmed that the 08s will continue to use the Mobil One 0w40 synthetic as the factory fill oil.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I thought about when rereading my original post is how are you supposed to do light throttle shifts through all gears at low (2,500-4,000 rpm) if the skip shift feature forces you to go from first to fourth gear?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth