new viper valvetrain noise (tick, tick, tick)

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum to ask this. My 06 SRT10 has 500 miles on it right now. When idling the loudest sound from under the hood is valvetrain noise. Is this normal (solid lifters maybe?) or is it service time already. It's not very loud really, the car is pretty quiet at idle.

OP
OP
S

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
never mind. I found out with a search that it's normal for the V10. Why is it so loud?

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is normal. I was concerned about the same noise when I first picked up my 06' SRT-10. It is a combination of valve/lifter noise and fuel injector noise. It sounds like a solid lift engine that needs a valve adjustment. I prefer the saying that someone else referred to as "A sewing machine". :lmao:

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I found out with a search that it's normal for the V10. Why is it so loud?

Congrats on the successful SEARCH. Your dilligence deserves an answer:

When the Viper went to the light-weight hyper-eutechtic pistons in MY2000, with a tighter bore, extra ring, and the softer ('cream-puff') cam grind, the lower rotating masses combined in the motor itself and made it very quiet, compared to 92-99 versions with the heavier forged pistons and more aggressive cams.

Hence, the sewing-machine moniker 2000+.

The actual klickity sound you hear is 50% FUEL INJECTORS and 15% lifters, plus the other mechanicals. Mostly injectors....a simple solid probe or stethoscope confirms the source.