New Viper owner - former C6 owner

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Good morning everyone,

This past weekend, I purchased my 2006 First Edition coupe (#166/200) from forum member Dan Woods. He was in Chicago, I'm in Houston. Dan was great to work with, the car is immaculate. I had the car trailered down to Memphis, where I was attending an NMCA racing event, and drove the Viper home from Memphis back to Houston.

For my comparison background, I've owned a low-11 second supercharged C6 Z51 Corvette, link here: http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevrolet/Corvette/2005/152/

Here are my initial thoughts on the Viper, since I put about 550 miles on it this weekend.

This thing attracts attention, but not all of it is 'good' attention. Try rolling through the ghettos of Memphis to get to the racing event, NOT fun. Idiots on highways almost come into your lane or run off the side of the road to get a look at the car. Also encountered several jerks who would see you coming and start speeding up to try and cut you off, even though I was just cruising at a constant speed. Countless idiots in V6 economy cars and pickup trucks always try to get you to race them on the highway. Then you get the usual non-car guys who ask you tons of stupid questions at each gas station, stuff like "how fast does it go?" or "how much does that cost?". Even had some ghetto teen ask if I was paying for it, or if I paid it off already. ***?

On to the tech stuff.

Since I've owned a C6 already, I have some good comparisons to share.

Interior: It is a much more cramped interior compared to a Corvette. I'm 5'-11' 185 lbs and fit perfectly, however. The seat bolsters are exactly my size (34" waist) so I can't see someone much bigger than myself fitting in one of these cars easily. The seats don't have nearly the adjustability of the Corvette's, you simply get forward/backwards and the back incline angle. No up/down or electric seats, period. That is okay though, they worked perfectly for me (luck?). Steering is tighter and more responsive than the C6. Stereo system is 100x better than the C6. Thing actually sounds great, has a nice subwoofer. Looking out the small windshield feels more like a personal aircraft than a car, the windshield is short and curved. Blind spot from hell over your left shoulder, gotta rely on the mirror for that view. Shifter position is nice. The dead pedal seems a little close, I'd prefer it further back. The Viper has electric adjustable pedals, but that makes the clutch pedal have way too much excess travel. I guess I like feeling the clutch pedal hit the floor as a stopping point, this one disengages at the top so you really only have to push the pedal halfway down. It has about twice the travel necessary, kind of weird. Brakes work GREAT. I really dig the hotrod looking gauges and the simplicity of the layout. The tach is the centerpiece, like it should be. The speedo is a bit difficult to read quickly, as the numbers are small. A digital MPH readout in the odometer/info window would have been a nice addition. Our GTO and our Escalade have that. The A/C system works great, never experienced any "hot cabin" issues that I've heard others complain about. Wind noise is slightly higher than a C6, but not bad. 6th gear is really only useful past 75 mph. The RPM at 80 mph was only around 1500, as per the tach. Mileage wasn't bad at all, I calculated around 25 mpg on the highway cruising 75-80. Our twin-turbo GTO was also on the trip, got nearly identical mileage.

Interior-wise, I'd only make a few changes. Get rid of either the ignition key or the gimmicky "START" button. Kind of weird that you have to turn the key, and then push a start button. On the C6, it senses the remote when you are inside the vehicle and the start button becomes activated to make it function, no key in the ignition required. I caught myself a few times trying to turn the key to start the engine. Next, I'd add cruise control for the longer road trips. Driving 10 hrs in a Viper, in the low seating position, makes your throttle foot/leg stiff. Add the digital MPH redundancy in the lower gauge, and make the dead pedal adjustable. Other than that, I like the rest of it.

Onto the driving/performance aspects.

Ride quality is stiffer than the C6 Z51, but you really only notice it on bumpy roads. I don't mind stiff riding sports cars, so this doesn't bother me. Acceleration and throttle response are awesome, 500ci will do that for you. While the V10 doesn't sound as deep as the LSX V8 engines, it does sound more exotic to me. It would be nice if the engine rev'd past the 6K rpm redline. On the freeway, this thing pulls hard, as you would expect from an 11-sec car. Stability is comparable to the C6, I had it up to 136 mph on a deserted highway for 'testing' purposes. The wide tires up front sure do like to grab onto uneven surfaces and road grooves, which is expected from past experience. Handling is excellent and responsive, no complaints there. The view out of the tiny windshield is 2nd to none though, those aggressive front fenders and the stripes down the hood, along with the heat extractor vents, look killer. I love that view.

Overall, I'd say the C6 is a better daily-driver. It is more spacious inside, easier to get in/out of, has more creature comforts like heated seats and HUD, much larger trunk, better mpg (mine got 31 mpg stock) etc... The Viper is a much better weekend toy that is more about attitude and keeping things simple like a hotrod/musclecar should. It is more rowdy, has less bells and whistles, and stands out far more in the crowd than a Corvette. The cars get compared endlessly, but after owning both I'd say the purpose and target goals for each car is very unique. Neither wants to be like the other. It is good to have choices!

I also write/shoot/test for automotive magazines, and snapped the photo above on Saturday morning. The Viper looks at home on the racetrack :2tu:

Tony

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL picture!! It certainly looks like a pic for a magazine~~! No doubt the Corvette is a better daily-driver, we've had Corvettes before (a '96 grand sport, and an '04 Z06)...sure, they are roomier, travel better, but that's NOT why we traded UP for a Viper...you are correct, they are 2 VERY different cars...cannot compare them at all really. Congratulations on your purchase, you've got a beauty there!! Enjoy~~~juli

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great picture! Welcome to the group! Now, join the VCA and enjoy!!!

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sweet car, great pics..........But do you have to piss on everyone who's not as fortunate as you.......Enjoy the car!

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet car, great pics..........But do you have to piss on everyone who's not as fortunate as you.......Enjoy the car!

When people threaten my safety or try to harass me on the roads, then hell yes I will gladly piss on them. I grew up broke, put myself through college as a pipe welder (took 7 yrs), started my own company, and have paid for everything myself. I fully appreciate my hard work, but I don't appreciate being bothered. I didn't mention all the details that happened in the "ghetto", but lets just say they weren't pleasurable to experience.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When people threaten my safety or try to harass me on the roads, then hell yes I will gladly piss on them. I grew up broke, put myself through college as a pipe welder (took 7 yrs), started my own company, and have paid for everything myself. I fully appreciate my hard work, but I don't appreciate being bothered. I didn't mention all the details that happened in the "ghetto", but lets just say they weren't pleasurable to experience.
Fair enough nineball. Personally I try to avoid low income areas when I'm driving my Orange Viper "Hey look at me Poor people" Buti if that was your only choice, yeah that's a little hairy ..........But when people in "economy cars" want to race, there just getting a kick out of the car.....have fun with it.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. Congrats and good luck. Oh the dead pedal in adjustable. See the manual.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball,

Welcome to Viper ownership, sometimes it is almost scary to see what people will do to get a good look at your car.....I've seen MANY near accidents caused by teens, adults and even the elderly trying to get a look at a Viper. Love your review of the Viper and the comparisons, remember that the Viper is built as a race car that's street legal, whereas the Vette is a street car that you can track and that perspective usually helps explain some of the options Vipers don't have.

Your next treat will be to decide what mods you're into.....normally 510 hp would be plenty enough, but after you drive the Viper a little and you realize just what a canvas this car is.... mods can be a lot of fun! There are more than a few VCA members in the 4-digit horsepower range and that's truly astounding for a car you can drive on the street!!

I grew up poor too, so the Viper was the first dream car I bought and yes, I do understand what you were saying about how some people show their jealousy.

Check out your Southern California Viper Club of America page for events and you'll really enjoy meeting other owners at the many different types of events we have. You guys have a great Hearst Castle cruise in a few weeks and just imagine the photos or yours and others Vipers you'll get there!!

Regards,
Aaron

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome....yes the Vette and the viper are two different cars altogether...I have literally had someone stop in traffic to take a picture of my car! As I have stated in other posts....on Tuesday nites we cruise to the local 5 and Diner, and one in our group has a new B on B Z06. He parks beside me and no one, virtually no one looks at the Vette. He even made the statement that, "what's that all about, no one even looks at my car!" If you don't want to stand out in the crowd, then don't buy a Viper.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol Nader, I was reading the owner's manual last night and learned all sorts of info. It was a busy weekend, first chance I had to settle down with a good book. Yes, I was elated to see that the dead pedal is adjustable :)

Also learned that there are door locks under the side scallops, never knew that either.

Gave the Viper its first washing last night, this sucker takes forever to clean and dry. So many vents, splitters, scallops, etc... to reach. The car has so many curves, the surface area is much bigger than the car appears! Washing a Corvette was very simple and quick, by comparison. haha

Tony

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great comparison of the cars. I hate that people try to choose which ones better when they obviously appeal to different wants. My brothers got a corvette and I got the Viper. He uses his as a daily driver, I get stairs.

I appreciate what both have to offer, and because both of them are competing with each other, we get better cars for cheaper. Horsepower wars keep on coming

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper= attention. I prefer the ********* type.... however some of the other comes with it. Overall, owning a Viper has been the best "ownership" experiance I have yet had. Enjoy and welcome!

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to see you joined the crowd as well Nine Ball. Still hanging out over there at ls1tech? My dang Camaro is still getting worked on, but now im back overseas. Anyway glad to see you converted. Great pic and great write up/comparsion.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I've "converted" haha. I still run ls1tech.com, and still own a few LSX powered vehicles. The Viper is just the newest toy in the lineup ;)

Tony

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya, I havent given up my Camaro, wont give up that bad boy for anything, especially once it is finally done, all will be well worth it. I just hate not being there while its getting its finishing touches now.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that I just got used to the attention after a while and hardly notice it anymore. Most of the attention you'll get is good or at least well intended (at least if you stay out of the slums). Sometimes you can even have a little fun with it.

A lot of the ricers just like to have a chance to play with a Viper and if you play back a little without getting too serious about it, they get a kick out of it and it gives them a great story to tell their friends. Almost everyone universally recognizes and likes the car, but they are unsure about the driver. If you come across as that snob in a Viper, you will tend to get a completely different reaction than if you come across as that cool or nice guy in a Viper that was willing to rev his motor for them or answer a few questions at the gas station.

In my experience, most Viper owners are self made types of individuals who have earned what they have and it gives some of the kids some hope that working hard can pay off and they are not necessarily screwed from ever owning a car like a Viper just because they don't have rich parents or a fancy education.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point Ken, and I fully agree. I always take the time to chat with interested car enthusiasts, especially younger kids. I'm only 35 myself, so I'm not too old and grumpy just yet. ;)

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32