OBD II Connector Dead?

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up with my ODB II connector (’05 SRT-10)?

I bought an SCT Handheld Programmer from Sean Roe – when I plug it in, nothing happens (display does not light up). It tried key-in, key-out, key-on, door open, door closed, etc.

When I plug the programmer into my Dodge Ram’s connector, it lights right up.

I checked the Owners Manual, and there’s a check see “if your vehicle’s OBD system is ready” (page 162) – it passed (turn key on, and if Check Engine light stays on without blinking until you turn off after at least 20 seconds).

No modifications to the electronics, and I’ve run it a bit since the last time I disconnected the battery.

Any ideas? :dunno:

Ron

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you contact Sean? I'm sure he would want to know that there is a problem. ~juli

Sounds like the problem is with the car, not the programmer if it works in another car. Stick your head underneath and check the wires to see if anything is disconnected down by the OBD port.

OP
OP
C

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did check to see if anything was loose under there – not too much to see since the wires are taped up and its only a few inches until it ties into a larger run of wires.

Next check is to see if I’ve got power between pins 4 (ground) and 16 (+12V) on the J1962 ODB II connector, but that’ll have to wait until after work today…

OP
OP
C

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did check the fuse list in the Op Manual, but no mention of the OBD-II. I also did a search for "OBD" in PDF Service Manual, but that didn't help either...

After testing and getting no power at the connector, I started pulling fuses. Sure enough, mini-fuse number 12 was blown (20A - labeled as "Secondary Power Outlet Feed" in the Op Manual). That "Outlet Feed" is the cig lighter in the center console "glove box". Swapped the fuse and now the programmer fires up.

I use that lighter outlet for my cell phone and I did have the console out a couple of months ago to install a short-throw shifter - so I'm sure therein was cause of it being blown.

So, if your OBDII Connector is dead, check fuse 12. :mad:

By the way, if your caught on the road with one of the other five 20A mini-fuses blown (headlight circuits, etc), you can temporarily pull this one as a substitute. The service manual shows fuse 12 is only for the Cig Lighter (inside console) and the "Data Link Connecter" (apparently the "real" name for the connector under the Instrument Panel that "links" to the OBD)...

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad it was an easy fix.

Me too - I was dreading the idea of having to trace wires back from the connector - hard enough for me to get under the footwell just to see the wires...

Just for quick reference:

Fuse12.jpg

END OF THREAD

Thanks,

Ron