What does the average dealership charge to change a head gasket?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What is the average cost to change a head gasket on a Gen II Viper? Not looking for "awesome pricing" just Dealer retail cost for labor?

Thanks!

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well,

i don't have a gen 2, but two years ago i had the gaskets changed on my gen 1. i had the gaskets all ready, and the charges were near $1300 for the labor, and the coolant! all other parts were supplied by me...he also put in a thermastat which i bought off of ebay. i hope this helps.....

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call tator.

i know he charges 90/hour. and its gotta take what 8-10 hours ?

Ab,
There may be a difference in the "book time" vs actual time. If you were going to the dealer they would normally charge the book time. The mechanic would have to eat the rest if he was slower.

Reaction score
It should be about 13 hours to do both. If you are doing one you may have a need to do both and not have to re pay for 1/2 the job later.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I figured $600-$800 would be fair labor. I am taking heads off and getting many things ceramic coated. Also replacing all upper seals. Had to pay a nice price for the gasket set. They are on national back order right now. I think I can get all of this done in about less than a day. I've taken many heads off and it's not too ******* the Viper. Just time consuming and messy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper