Looking for owners/previous owners of both C5Z06 & Gen II Viper GTS

Mr Payne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a car and these two are pretty much the most badass machines on the road (in my price range). If anyone has ownership experience of both vehicles a PM would really be appreciated.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a car and these two are pretty much the most badass machines on the road (in my price range). If anyone has ownership experience of both vehicles a PM would really be appreciated.
You come to the right place, I have both, pm me and I will answer any questions you have, right off the bat I will tell you if you arent going to be using the car as an everyday driver, buy the Viper, everything else just PM me they both are great cars.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
feel free to pm me as well. I have a c5 that's pretty much got everything other than the bigger brakes and functional side vents that the zo6 has. I also have a gen2 viper.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feel free to PM me with any specific questions also. As you can see by my sig I own and love both. They each have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. You really can't go wrong with either one. The Viper definitely attracts more attention if that is what you are looking for but is the more expensive of the two. The vette is the better of the two if you wanted to daily drive it or even drive more often. :usa:

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feel free to PM me as well. The Viper is the only way to go, no need to even compare. I have never owned a vette and never will.

DrDJ

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell, just post here and I will answer. I've owned several Vettes, with the last being a '02 Z06. I'll compare the '02 Z06 to my '97 GTS. Ditto with what Trainer Dave said. Daily driver? Then get the Z06. I know some people use their's as a daily driver, but I wouldn't want to go through the various hassles involved. I consider the Viper a race car first, then a street car. Reverse for the Z06.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a vette...don't anymore. Just today saw 3 C5's on the highway going the opposite direction in a span of about half a mile. Enough said

NSRENDR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Feel free to PM me with any specific questions also. As you can see by my sig I own and love both. They each have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. You really can't go wrong with either one. The Viper definitely attracts more attention if that is what you are looking for but is the more expensive of the two. The vette is the better of the two if you wanted to daily drive it or even drive more often. :usa:

This says it all!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the others: Just post your questions, you'll find a LOT of us have had or have Z06's along with the Vipers. I'm sure we can answer your questions. ~juli
(We had a yellow '04 Z06, a '96 black GS, and now have a 2008 red 436hp Vette--yep, more HP than our '04 Z06 had!)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive owned both. 2002 Electron Blue Z06, and now a 2001 Viper GTS.. Absolutely no comparison.. I have much respect for the Corvette, and the status they have.. However, a C5Z06 is just another used car at this point.. the market is flodded with pre owned Z06's...

The Viper is much more rare,collectable,exotic,etc,etc.. And it simply gives you a feel that you can not compare to a Z06. You actually work while driving the Viper, and if your not careful. You WILL get bit.. the Z06 is nearly impossible to wreck. Active handling,traction control,etc,etc.. They are just 2 completely different cars..

Let me put it to you this way... I sold my 2002 Z06, and UPGRADED to a 2001 GTS.. With no regrets.. None..

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just like others have asked, why don't you post your questions/concerns here? Current owner here of '02 GTS (red/white Final Edition) and '03 Z06. I like both of them, but for different reasons...
4324FordDodgeChevy.JPG

OP
OP
M

Mr Payne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well damn. I guess I expected a few less people.

I only have a few quick questions. Just a little to background first, I'd only be driving the car on weekends. The car would be primarily a street car, but going on a road course 1-2 times a year will probably happen. :cool:

1) Which car do you think you'd get in my situation?
2) Which car was more reliable (taking into consideration your driving habits)?
3) Mags generally seem to show that the Viper is a tiny bit faster - did this match your experience?

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I owned both also. The Vette seemed a bit more solid to me but I wouldn't swap back for the Z06. I'll keep the GTS for life.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I only have a few quick questions. Just a little to background first, I'd only be driving the car on weekends. The car would be primarily a street car, but going on a road course 1-2 times a year will probably happen. :cool:

3) Mags generally seem to show that the Viper is a tiny bit faster - did this match your experience?

1.) Exactly what is your situation? Budget? driven on weekends for what?
2.) Both very reliable cars.
3.) Vipers definitely faster. Also more expensive to mod and maintain.

Needless to say you can get a much nicer Z06 for the same money as a GTS and the Z is cheaper to mod. You can park the Z unattended and not worry about it etc...

You pull into a cruise night with the Viper they park you up front and a crowd walks up to the car. In the Z06 nobody notices you.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) Exactly what is your situation? Budget? driven on weekends for what?
2.) Both very reliable cars.
3.) Vipers definitely faster. Also more expensive to mod and maintain.
Needless to say you can get a much nicer Z06 for the same money as a GTS and the Z is cheaper to mod. You can park the Z unattended and not worry about it etc...
You pull into a cruise night with the Viper they park you up front and a crowd walks up to the car. In the Z06 nobody notices you.

Agreed with Frank...there is NOTHING like the Viper/BEAST...you WILL get the whiplash effect from other people snapping their necks to look at you...you get MORE RAW POWER, if you don't wanna be noticed, get a Z06...hundreds of them all over the place....Vipers? VERY few of them...you WILL get noticed in that...we street ours, is mostly a weekend car, will track it during VCA events...much prefer Viper over the z06 we had...a true DRIVERS' car...you MUST pay attention in this...the Z06 is more forgiving. Good Luck in your choice...let us know! ~juli

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd get the GTS if your looking for a cruiser that'll get ya attention. It's got a lot more torque and a good sound(with a good exhaust).

Like others have said, the vettes good if you plan on driving it to work everyday, where there isn't as much of a worry of something happening to it.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my 96 GTS I was also thinking of buying my friends 03 Z06. I really liked the Z06, it is a great car and easy to drive. You could go full throttle through 4th gear and the car feels easier to manuver(spelling). I have always wanted a Viper and would have settled with the vette. The Viper actually makes me nervous above 130mph. If you decide to run through the gears you have to be ready for anything, from 3rd to 4th it is still pulling so hard, the tires want to go where ever the raod will take them and the breaks feel a little sketchy at that speed. The car is faster than the Z06, an more powerful. time wise on paper they look closer than they are in real life. Try mashing the gas when shifting into second in a Viper and the outcome is different than a vette. IMO the Vette is a super daily driver, the Viper is an awesome weekend driver!

Robsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Z06 when I bought our first Viper (an '01 sapphire ACR).

You can drive the Z06 faster with more confidence but the Viper feels so muscular on the road.

The ACR has become somewhat of a garage queen because I wanted to keep it pristine. So we bought our second Viper (a '04) and it has some 25,000 + miles on it. It gets driven a lot.

Some of your decision should be based on how much room you want in the cockpit of your daily driver. The Viper has a very close feeling fit -- not a bad thing - just not much room for anything.

The Vette has lots of room for you and your stuff -- a thing to think about if you are going to be using the car every day.

No matter what generation Viper you get -- they can make great daily drivers. Some of these guys have many trouble free miles on them. I plan on driving my '04 for a long time. I don't feel the need to jump up to 600 hp.

I think the GTS body style is terrific. I would suggest you get a Viper. If you get the Vette, you will always wish you got the Viper.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of your decision should be based on how much room you want in the cockpit of your daily driver. The Viper has a very close feeling fit -- not a bad thing - just not much room for anything.

True. But I wouldn't base your decision on it unless you're really big. I'm 5'10" and 220lbs and I fit fine. I've got some muscle to me but I got a gut and I'm not overly cramped.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 98 C5 for years, put 100k miles on it.

I had a 02 Z06 for years, but 45k on it.

I have a 01 GTS, put 120k on my first motor. Working on the second one now.

Vettes are lame :D

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score

First, welcome to the dark side...we are all here to help out :devteeth:
Answers:
1. Viper GTS
2. Both about the same, but difference is price of the parts.
3. Yes.

Other considerations:
Ergonomics: Z06. Better adjustability of seating position, (though crappy seat bolstering), door entry, more room in the cockpit, visibility and heads-up display (HUD). Both cars have an abundance of plastic, but remember, you're not in it for the luxury. The GTS can be claustrophobic to some and the pedals are somewhat skewed over to the left. So the Z06 is a better daily driver, so what. You're looking for a weekend car.

Track Performance: Viper GTS. Easier to learn from the start with the Z06, but in time, you'll be better rewarded later with the GTS. Like other have mentioned, the Z06 is more forgiving, but the GTS is more "edgier", it's bred for the track. Once you get a few track sessions under your belt, you'll gain more confidence and feel better about it. Oddly, I find it easier to heel/toe with the GTS than the Z06 since the pedals can be adjusted fore and aft. Learn how to modulate with both your feet because there's no active handling/traction control like there is on the Z06. The Z06 guys turn AH off anyways on the track (or switch to comp mode) since it's intrusive and it won't always save your butt. So learn to modulate with the pedals. "Traction Control" is the person who's holding the steering wheel, shifting with the other hand, controling the gas, clutch and brake pedal. Just as long as there's not a "glitch" in one's head...

Fuel Economy: Z06. The Z06 can get an incredible 28 on the highway, usually 20-22 all-around driving. The GTS, I fill the tank twice as often for the same amount of driving, same size gas tank. You can do long trips with the GTS, just plan out your gas/rest stops. Again, you're looking for a weekend car, so fuel economy shouldn't be much of an issue.

In Summary: The Z06 is a great everyday performance car, hard to beat the price (used) that keeps depreciating...But the Viper GTS is a great weekend warrior at any price, period.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not even a comparison is it?

The GTS will run 12.2 at 118 mph on average
The Z06 will run 12.6 at 115 mph on average

The GTS will hit 150 mph in 22 seconds
The Z06 will hit 150 mph in 26 seconds

The GTS will top out at 190 mph
The Z06 will top out at 170 mph

The GTS is a 75K car
The Z06 is a 50K car

The GTS is a freakin viper
The Z06 is a..... well, vette

I owned a 2004 H/C C5 coupe with racing stripes and the whole 9 yards. My bone stock 1999 rt10 viper dynoed 30 rwhp more than my H/C 2004 C5 and turned more heads in the first two weeks than my Vette did in 2 years...

Like I was saying. Not even a fair fight brother

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned both as well (seems to be the natural progression).

For me, the #1 most important thing is that the Viper is more fun. It's more fun to look at, more fun even to sit in, and a lot more fun to drive.

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold an electron blue 2002 Z06 to get the Viper. The first time I saw the Z, I thought it was a cool looking, sleek car. The first time I saw my Viper, my jaw dropped :D

My wife was looking at me and telling me I should sell my corvette, even before we stepped out of our car to rub up on the Viper.

With that being said, the Vette was a better daily driver, ditto on what everyone else said. I had no complaints about it whatsoever. The Viper is simply a throwback car, where the Vette is a little more cutting edge technology.

If I could have both I would ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave