Official ACR info

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are soooo far off base.

If the shocks are 3-way adjustable then that is huge for tracking. The GenII ACR shocks didn't have height adjustment which was a major shortcoming for a car with a "Club Racer" moniker.

Also, the GenII ACR didn't have two-piece rotors. Another major mistake for a car with ACR badging.

To some it up the GenII ACR was a major disappointment from a tracker's perspective. The 08 is already a killer in stock form, if the reports of these upgrades are accurate then this will be the first TRUE Viper ACR.

The choice between a 08 stocker or a CC is already difficult. Now this ACR makes things even more complicated.

Big deal, the Gen II ACR did not have two piece rotors. The stopping power was vastly superior to what came in YOUR car. That is a fact. Time passes, things get better.

I guess the fact that is comes with the huge rear wing is a plus for you seeing your avatar. Perhaps your daily driver is an Evo.

Oh, and the Dynamic Suspension shocks that came in the 01 and 02 cars were light years ahead of the shocks on your car and the GTS in general. Light years. Major disappointment from your perspective, but you are not the total judge and jury.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 convertible coming (hopefully) shortly and I already have the Sidewinder wheels ready for install by the dealer. I would be interested in knowing whether the front stabilizer bar, Stoptech rotors and KW dampers can be ordered "a la carte" or if they will only be available in the ACR package.

I do plan on using my car for HPDEs at our local track (PIR) but even so the number of times when the downforce from the splitter and rear wing would come into play (120+ mph) is so minimal that in my opinion it outweighs the aesthetic hit the car would take. Also, the splitter and wing themselves add weight which I can do without.

/Rich

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm glad to read that the gains in lower track times are said to be "measured in full seconds, not tenths.... Lateral acceleration is 1.5g."

I guess they kept off the Mopar 'race' exhaust stuff becuase they wanted to keep it street legal ... It doesn't necessarily say that HP is exactly the same, it just says that it uses the same engine ... but no mention of an upgraded Mopar air intake (so maybe that's not going into production?)

This car might have much more appeal than the Comp Coupe.

On the funny side of things, the article says, "engineers working on the car, which is code-named EM50 ..." ... I think 'EM50' was the name of the military RV in the movie Stripes. :lmao:

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, with a look like that I might have to get a companion for my GEN II ACR... That car actually looks pretty mean. Air dam, stripes and wing look cool... who cares about racing upgrades, hehe... 600 HP stock? now if you add a Paxton and methanol... :)

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my new Autoweek, and it has official info the new ACR.

The bullet points:
Same HP and torque
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
Sidewinder wheels
StopTech 2 piece slotted brakes
coil over racing dampers from KW Suspensions
new front stablizer bar
3 inch "fanged" front splitter
carbon fiber 7 way adjustable rear wing
radical 2 tone paint scheme- blacked out hood, roof and trunk/tail lid

And a "*********" package that:
deletes the entire audio system, hood pad, trunk carpet and tire inflator.

Botton line- "priced under $100,000 according to Herb Helbig

My Orange 08 Vert will basically have all that installed on it at the dealer (except maybe wing and splitter.... Need better pix)

But I intend on going with: Black Sidewinders, headers & Exhaust, KW Suspension, and possibly stop-tech drilled/slotted rotors for visual appeal. The OEM Brakes are Already FANTASTIC...atleast my 06' was.

Im sticking with my vert.
Brian

Last edited:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big deal, the Gen II ACR did not have two piece rotors. The stopping power was vastly superior to what came in YOUR car. That is a fact. Time passes, things get better.

I guess the fact that is comes with the huge rear wing is a plus for you seeing your avatar. Perhaps your daily driver is an Evo.

Oh, and the Dynamic Suspension shocks that came in the 01 and 02 cars were light years ahead of the shocks on your car and the GTS in general. Light years. Major disappointment from your perspective, but you are not the total judge and jury.
PatentLaw, Chuck is 100% right. This car is huge. Just look at the lateral acceleration numbers. 1.5G. Where do you get that in a street car? Or 1.1G for that matter? And under $100K!

Good lord! This car is vicious. I can't wait to break the news to the wife. :nono:

BTW, Chuck has more miles on his car than many a VCA region combined! :rolleyes:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised at the negative reception posts of available info.

I always thought the past ACR was kinda disappointing; smooth tubes, mesh wheels, and lowered stance & it's a "racer". Not banging it, nice little upgrades, but I wouldn't exactly call a major enhancement, but hey, all Vipers are really "racers" anyway.

What I see so far I think is a nice improvement, adjustable susp, (I'm not a wing guy, but it's about downforce I guess), and at least instead of a little badge you get an extremely aggressive paint job. I'm not into two tone paint ever, but those pics ... i dunno it sure looks mean & exoctic to me, gotta see it in person though. If anything, a 3.55 rear gear option would've been cool to add, more HP would be last on my list for a club racer.

Can't wait for more info though.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Obviously you don't track or you'd realize the importance two-piece rotors provide with brake cooling.

DS shocks "light years" ahead? A couple more rebound and compression adjustments make it "light years ahead?" Try scaling your GenII ACR and then get back to me. But you really don't need to do that when you're just driving to the pose shows and back so you might not wanna bother.

BTW my daily driver is a bone stock 98 RT/10 that I've put 108,000 miles on so far. The avatar is my tracker...until I get my hands on a real ACR.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, some of you guys really have no idea what you are talking about. All the changes are great for track cars. 600HP is more then enough for track car and it does lose some 40lbs of unsprung weight. The old ACR gained 10HP...wuppedy f-in doo. Calling an adjustable wing and splitter that produces downforce rice just shows that you don't know jack about tracking or racing. Stick to the Zaino boys. Leave the ACR to people that will use it.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised at the negative reception posts of available info.

I always thought the past ACR was kinda disappointing; smooth tubes, mesh wheels, and lowered stance & it's a "racer". Not banging it, nice little upgrades, but I wouldn't exactly call a major enhancement, but hey, all Vipers are really "racers" anyway.

What I see so far I think is a nice improvement, adjustable susp, (I'm not a wing guy, but it's about downforce I guess), and at least instead of a little badge you get an extremely aggressive paint job. I'm not into two tone paint ever, but those pics ... i dunno it sure looks mean & exoctic to me, gotta see it in person though. If anything, a 3.55 rear gear option would've been cool to add, more HP would be last on my list for a club racer.

Can't wait for more info though.

I wholeheartedly agree.
We've gotten SO MUCH of what we've been asking for! Some of you folks are being ridiculous. It's sad that whining gets so much play here.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, another reason for that ulcer to develop. It looks like I will have something else to dream about. Talk about a car with Attitude!! How can you not like a car that screams look at me and then backs it up with incredible performance? No need for ****** with this thing around.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a little perspective might help? It wasn't that long ago when we as a Viper nation were taking a sawz all to our 96 GTSs in an attempt to convert them to track cars. Even after adding tons of suspension and brake mods the car still was not a great track car?

We begged Dodge for a true track car and a weekend racer and they gave us the fantastic (for its time) Gen 2 ACR of which I have owned three and the amazing and super affordable Comp Coupe. Both of which ranged in HP from 460 to 510? The Gen 2 ACR still had terrible brakes when one considers the stock rear brakes and had inherent handling issues that were resolved on the Gen three cars. IMHO

Bear in mind Dodge was and IS building the only true hand built big block road/track car in existence, in addition Dodge was providing us with owner invites and factory support and great dealer support. All in all using history as a guide Dodge has provide it's faithful Viper owners with an unprecedented ownership experience.

Now Dodge is facing financial problems, new ownership and a rapidly changing market, perhaps more difficult a market than Dodge has ever faced since 1992 the inception of the Viper? What does Dodge do it builds for it's ever faithful Viper nation another ACR a Gen three with real downforce adjustments and real suspension adjustments and for hacks like me brakes I can't easily fry.

Ok so it "only" has 600 HP well I can live with that. Because I still remember when we were happy after spending thousands of dollars on our Gen 2 motors in the late 1990s and "only" getting 600 HP. In 2008 my 600 HP ACR comes from the factory with a warranty. I can also remember when 600HP was a good Nascar motor as well????

It seems to me Dodge has spoiled us over the years and that is a good thing! I think we should enjoy the present times we live in as Viper enthusiasts, because I can see a time in the not so distant future when Dodge isn't building cars like the Viper let alone a real track ready Viper for the weekend racer. And we wish for the good old days when Dodge was building us hand built big block track ready 600 HP supercars for under 100K.

I just think we should sometimes try to remember how far the Viper has come, how supportive Dodge has been for Viper owners over the years? Both Viper owners who like to race and those who like to do the car show circuit.

The last hand built big block road/track car I can remember was Carroll Shelby's Cobra's?

The last time a manufacturer has listened to the wants of it's owners as much as Dodge has over the years and built low volume cars for those owners? Perhaps never?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would a K&N airfilter for 10 more HP make you haapy?:rolaugh:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Agreed! :2tu:

... but if I could make one more small request to Dodge: Please offer this ACR with a 3.33 rear gear option (in addition to the 3.07) ... with the higher redline on the 8.4L, this ACR with a 3.33 gear would beat the doors off of ANY Chebby ... and then please send an ACR with a 3.33 gear to the magazines for the inevitable magaizine comparisons to the new Chebby ZR1 (between those two cars, nobody is gonna care about EPA gas taxes) :usa:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would a K&N airfilter for 10 more HP make you haapy?:rolaugh:

Agree!! Why is this less of an ACR because it doesn't have the old cars extra 10 HP??

Who knows, by production maybe they'll make all the sad folks happy and put in K&N"s.

I really like all the equipment they've added to the suspension, brakes wheels/tires. I've got the KW's, sidewinder's and PS2's and they all work great! Next upgrade is Stop-tech's which make the great brakes better and last longer! Some people will ***** at the splitter and spoiler but they've got good results if you're tracking. Love to have this at Willow Springs for the high speed sections of 7, 8 &9.

Sure it would be nice to have the extra HP but I know it will come in a year or two.

Only items I'd change; add 6 point Team Tech belts, fire extinguisher and make standard colors optional.

This is a great set up for the track, much better than the old ACR, add belts and you've got a great track car!

Great job, thanks Dodge!!

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but most of you are missing the point. When Bob Lutz was with Chrysler, he stated, "We must NEVER allow the Viper to have less power than the corvette". The Gen 2 ACR is irrelevant because, even though it only had 10hp more than the standard GTS, it was still well ahead of what Chevy had at the time. 600hp is unacceptable for this generation of ACR because the ZR1 is expected to have 650hp. Vipers are my favorite cars yet I admit that the name and image suffered irreparable damage by being a tad slower than the C6Z06. It was the equivalent of 9/11 on the USA. Just like the USA, if the Viper takes another hit or two like that in the future, it will be catastrophic. As in boxing, it is not often the 1st big punch that ends the fight. When a fighter is hit again and again after he is hurt, it spells KO. Why did the greatest, Muhammad Ali never get KO'd? Because even on the few occasions when he was hurt, he had the skill to prevent himself from being hit again. If the ACR comes out with 600hp and the ZR1 comes out with 650hp as well as weighing near 3000 pounds, goodnight Viper. In my opinion, Dodge should not even think about releasing a Viper like this unless it has AT LEAST 675hp. Even at that, if the weight is not low enough, the vette will beat it. At 600hp, it will be an ass kicking and that's a rout I would rather not see. The ACR absolutely MUST come with the extra 75hp.

Last edited:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car is bad a$$.

I am going to buy one of these. I have long thought that one Viper would be enough for me. This ACR has changed my mind. I will not rest until I get one. I'm going to weld a roll cage into it and flog it like a rented mule.

For all those who are whining about the changes being insignificant, I just have to ask: Have any of you ever tracked your car? If you have, you would realize that better brakes, better suspension, lighter weight, sticky tires, and real downforce are very important for reducing lap times.

Those of you who are calling this car "rice" are a bunch of clueless posers.

All the ******** about the car not having enough horsepower is irrelevant and stupid. With Mopar aftermarket parts, it will be easy to get this car to 675hp. For Dodge to go through all of the regulatory red tape to jack up the power by another 75hp would simply not make economic sense for what will surely be a very very low volume car. The cost for recertification of the car for EPA purposes alone would mean that they would have to charge well over $100,000 for this car. It makes a lot more sense to keep the price low, and allow the customer to pick his own hp level with mods.

I love this car. Dodge rocks for making it.

Herb Helbig is THE MAN.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As much as I hate seeing the Viper lose in a straight line, the new ACR is going to be tough to get better quarter mile times because of the suspension set up. It will be a great road course car and should have the option for the 3:33 rear gear.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the ACR comes out with 600hp and the ZR1 comes out with 650hp as well as weighing near 3000 pounds, goodnight Viper. In my opinion, Dodge should not even think about releasing a Viper like this unless it has AT LEAST 675hp. Even at that, if the weight is not low enough, the vette will beat it. At 600hp, it will be an ass kicking and that's a rout I would rather not see. The ACR absolutely MUST come with the extra 75hp.

I would like to see more HP too, but I'll guess that the Mopar stuff is not street-legal for emissions.

I don't agree the the Viper automatically loses with 'only' 600HP -- not all HP is the same -- where does the Vette produce it's power? low? or only at higher rpms? What will the torque look like. I doubt anything will ever match the Viper's torque.

I vote for a 3.33 gear option. 3.33 gears with an '03-'06 8.3L crosses the 1/4 mile finish line just after shifting to 4th gear. The car is faster with the 3.33s, but you do have that one extra shift. However, with the 8.4L higher rpm redline in the '08, the car accelerates harder (with the 3.33 vs 3.07) AND moves down the track farther with each gear -- and then 4th gear would not even be used in the 1/4 mile. I would guess that 3.33s would knock another 2-3 tenths off the 8.4L 1/4 mile time. That would mean that the new ZR1 would have to be atleast .5 seconds faster than the Z06 to beat such a Viper set up. It might be, who knows, but it would be dang close.

The '08 set up is perfect for a 3.33 gear (ex EPA tax concerns). I say give the few hundred folks that will buy this ACR an option choice of rear gears (depending on how they plan to use the car):

3.33 for street, auto-cross and shorter tracks
3.07 for longer tracks

... just make sure to send an ACR with 3.33s for the magazine tests ;)

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize that the new vette with its supposed 650 hp will be more powerful than the new viper, but since when is a supercharger the best way to conduct business on a roadcoarse which is obviously what both cars were designed for?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Patentlaw,

Respectfully, the weight reductions are huge and would have approached 100 lbs without the splitter and wing on the ********* version. The Porsche R cars for years did exactly what Dodge is doing -- got rid of excess noise reduction material, deleted radios and other items and fine tuned the suspensions.

Keep in mind that 100 lbs off a car is often figured as a 1 second gain on a 2.0 mile road course -- that equates to 10 car lengths. If we put that in perspective to the prior ACR, the 10hp gain would not have had as much impact.

The engineers in SRT ( we all know Herb Helbig, but there are so many other die-hard track talents ,like Eric Hueschle and Chris Winkler ) pulled a zinger when they did the SRT4 ACR in the last year of the Neon based pocket rocket. This was what the car should always have been , and it is a true sleeper on the track today. The tricks on this Viper will prove to the doubtful ,to be a step above what was done on the prior ACR ( as they should be in any evolutionary change ) . Weight , suspension advancements, actual effective downforce methodology , will make this the standard for TrackSnakes and may even approach Comp Coupe times with equivalent tires ------- yep , could maybe be even faster, hmmmm!?:headbang:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great thread; these forums need to be lively including the "whining" from some of us "ingrates". Can't hurt to ask for more even though we'll take we can get. I learned a few things here about tracking which I know nothing about. 1.5 Gs!!! - makes me think someone will pass out or at least give up their lunch if they took a corner that hard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper