Thinking of deleting the mufflers

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS with Random Tech high flow Cats, '98 exhaust manifolds and a Borla 3" cat back exhaust. The car sounds great, but a bit too quiet for my taste. I was thinking of removing the mufflers, but was wondering if it might be TOO loud. I prefer to avoid as much police attention (yes, even in a Viper) as possible though. Am I going to lose a lot of low end torque if I do this, and would anyone advise against it?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a conversation with Jon B - Parts Rack - about this matter.

If you have headers (I'm fixing to), HF cats and stock resonators in the sides with a 3" cat back, it is the all occasion package.

Yeah, you want it louder some times when your huevos are enlarged, but there is no switch to turn it off.

I see a lot of people talk about mods they wish they hadn't done. Think it through. Give Jon a call maybe.

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to take it to a shop and have flanges installed so I can put them back when I get it smog checked.

I have yet to see a cop pull over a Nagasaki nut-bucket with a fart can muffler, so I don't think I will have too much trouble with the noise. I just want to have parents run to take their kids off the streets when they hear the deep, evil rumble approaching. Plus, the next time some ***** revs his four cylinders of fury at me I'm going to make sure they leave some skid marks in their underpants when they hear what a real car is meant to sound like.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to take it to a shop and have flanges installed so I can put them back when I get it smog checked.

I have yet to see a cop pull over a Nagasaki nut-bucket with a fart can muffler, so I don't think I will have too much trouble with the noise. I just want to have parents run to take their kids off the streets when they hear the deep, evil rumble approaching. Plus, the next time some ***** revs his four cylinders of fury at me I'm going to make sure they leave some skid marks in their underpants when they hear what a real car is meant to sound like.

Enjoy that sound until you get tired of it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run headers, no cats and no mufflers and it is quite loud. I get mostly positive comments on it though I think the70% of folks who have negative comments keep these to themselves. The folks that matter (me and true car people) seem to like it.

Police don't seem to care...unless you're doing crazy sh*t that you shouldn't be doing. In that case I bet they'd pile-on with a noise citation.

You need a big amp if you want to hear the stereo, and 3 hour rides are really trying on your head and ears.

One side effect that I hadn't anticipated is that of noise in my own neighborhood. Though my neighbors are very cool about it, I choose to not drive the car early in the morning or come home late at night since it does absolutely wake everybody up. My neighbor across the street in Chicago told me that he and his wife are very careful to frequently adjust all the glasses in their china cabinet so they're not touching.....since when I start the Viper glasses that are close do alot of clinking. Apparently they like the sound of the car but are annoyed by the clinking.:dunno:

Even 10pm is late if there are infants in your neighborhood. As a result, I pretty much enter and exit the garage during daylight only.

Joseph's cutout suggestion is the best, but there's not alot of room for 'em....you have to be pretty clever with the install. I say go for it, more "V" is always good.:headbang:

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I refer to my radio as that little glowing orange thing that tells time. It is still set on Radio Disney from the last time my son rode with me a long time ago, and I haven't listened to it since. My driving music come from a 488 cubic inch V-10, and I loved the trip from Vegas to Luke AFB in Arizona and back. I work on the flightline at a fighter base, and I love the noise because, to me, it's the sound of freedom.

I have really annoying neighbors that play their bump-a-dee music way to loud, so I was thinking about driving by their house and returning the favor by bouncing off the rev limiter a few times.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact same set up on my 98 but I went 1 step farther and removed the cats as well. The only time I find it loud is when you really step on it. The Borlas sound great. There is nothing that sounds worse than a stock Viper so I wanted to go as far away from that sound as possible. I get comments all the time that it sounds mean.